Is Ferrari Market Letter worth the subscription? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari Market Letter worth the subscription?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ghost, Feb 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

I had a paper subscription to FML for 8 years, but switched in 2003 to e-version. It has all the same info PLUS some of the classifieds carry photos. As usual, the e-version is a bit harder to "thumb through" relative to hardcopy, but I prefer it now.

I also don't have to try and manage dozens of back issue hardcopies now either!!

Worth the money.

The Asking Price Index comes in for some criticism from various corners, but the consistency of Gerald's approach to determining the Index is valuable. Just keep in mind that its the ASKING price.

2. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I've subscribed for years, with a couple of breaks along the way. It's a good place to start seeing what's in the market. Most of the sellers are dealers and the prices are certainly asking prices. I always scan the miscellaneous section- always interesting stuff, I know someday I'll find that set of fitted 512TR luggage that I need.

3. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    I've subscribed to the FML print version since 1985 and have found it quite worthwhile
    to have. Over time, it is very good for assessing various portions of the market
    (for example, when you start seeing pages of ads for a particular model, such as has
    been the case with 360 spiders lately, you can bet that these babies are way
    overloaded).
    I've even talked w/Gerald a couple of times...very accomodating, as is his staff. One of
    my correspondences w/Gerald even led to my writeup being included in a copy of
    the FML as a featured article(!)...still waiting on the royalty check to come in C.O.D. :)

As far as sparse ads are concerned, the mag's audience is assumed to be pretty
    informed, so verbiage doesn't need to be elaborate. The essential facts are usually
    included, and with the advent of the web, urls are often included for pics, further info, etc.

The general rule of thumb is that because of the audience, the ads are usually fairly
    accurate, and that the only questionable item might be the *asking* price, which, as
    Gerald often points out, is not necessarily the actual trading price.

I didn't find the online version to be worth the extra $$; think it's a bit overpriced
    if one already has the print version.

Aside from the FML, if you're scouting for an actual purchase, you might wanna pick
    up Hemmings...while not nearly as spiffy as the FML, sometimes you'll find cars listed
    there that are not in the FML.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm a long-time FML print subscriber too -- and enjoy it. You guys don't know how good you've got it now -- pre-Internet, the FML was about it F information-wise (besides the hardcover books).

I just wanted to add that (like AMA328) I find the total number of a particular F model for sale also very interesting to check. I was shocked when an issue came out with not a single 308GTS offered (probably sadly passing them into the "original" = "not really usable without serious restoration" status -- see Paul Newman's thread;)). And the sheer number of 355 and 360 is a little alarming (unless, of course, you're a Buyer;)).

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I agree with you that it is valuable. Asking prices still ebb and flow with overall market supply-and-demand, and give you a good relative indication of where prices are. For example, if asking prices for 355B's have fallen 7% in the last year, and 15% in the last two years, then I think it would be fair to conclude a similar trend for traded prices, since spreads between asking and traded prices generally remain consistent.

Interesting! I was not aware of Hemmings. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I assume like FML, the web-version of Hemmings is a good proxy for the print edition.

6. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Very little is accessible online in FML, UNLESS you are a subscriber.

Hemmings keeps almost everything available to anyone.
    http://www.hemmings.com/

So I subscribe to FML, but just poke around for free in Hemmings. I buy a hardcopy every so often.

Because Hemmings covers all brands, all years, the data is immense.