Is Ferrari too Italian to win in F1? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari too Italian to win in F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Mar 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is some national pride in F1 racing. I think the Italians would like their engineering staff to be run by Italians.

Look at Haas. I think most in the US who know F1 feel it's a British company backed by a US firm. Is it really American? Well, not like the Eagle Westlake was.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Anyone would look good with access to the 3D prints of ferrari parts, ferrari engines and factory techs showing them how to make it run. Give them a Renault engine and no help, they would be the same as any lower midfielder. Sorry, but it’s how it is

stavura, Bas and Jakuzzi like this.
  3. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Well the last time Ferrari had an Italian WDC driver was 1953. Ferrari has a very high nationalist pride in keeping the team as Italian as possible. Nothing wrong with that, but northern Europe seems to have the drivers and often the managers. ;)

For the future, I'm betting on Leclerc.

william and daytona355 like this.
  4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Makes sense.

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Only thing American about Eagle was Gurney and the money. it was an English based team at the beginning. Len Terry and Harry Westlake both brits.... but it was a cool looking car!

6. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Assuming Ferrari have great pace this weekend, I really hope they won't let us down with some dodgy pit strategies.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    or the engine nuking itself. Again.

8. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    #58 fer312t, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Well, AAR was not 'English based team' - Dan hired Len and the eagle F1 cars were penned and build at AAR in Santa Ana California. All the exotic metal parts (the titanium exhuast, the magnesium skins) were all done by US suppliers. They obviously needed a UK or continental base of ops for the the F1 season, which is what they setup in Rye, Sussex. It was a cosmopolitan effort as are most F1 teams, but I don't think the American identity and contribution needs to be constantly challenged.

william likes this.
  9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ok - that is not what Dan said but ok.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the chassis of the initial Eagle F1 car was common to the first Eagle Indycar too.
    I remember reading that was the brief from Gurney to Len Terry.
    AAR didn't last long in F1, unfortunately; Dan Gurney lost his backers and decided to concentrate on Indy, where he did well.
    It was F1 loss, because it was a valiant effort, and the car is still probably the best looking F1 ever, IMO.