Is Ferrari working on a LMP1 car? | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari working on a LMP1 car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferrarithijs, Jun 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarithijs

ferrarithijs Karting

Jan 6, 2012
    Well, the title says it all. I read somewhere on the internet that Ferrari is working on a comeback in Le Mans (WEC). I hope so, it's such a shame they let prototype racing go...

Thijs

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I highly doubt it

Ferrari ran away from LeMans after Ford & Porsche kicked their but

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Af corse is competing and winning in lmp2 this year, although with a Nissan.

Preparation?

Maserati would be more suited for LeMans though.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I recall reading Piero Ferrari stating that he wanted to see Ferrari back in Le Mans - can't seem to find it now.

The F50 GT1 was supposed to be a Le Mans effort, correct?

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    "I read somewhere on the internet" doesn't inspire much confidence that the rumor is even close to be true...

...which is disappointing, because I would really really love for this to be true.

I can't see it happening though, even though a few years ago Luca CdM was at La Sarthe saying Ferrari would consider it if the F1 rules didn't change and all that nonsense Ferrari always spews when things aren't going their way.

Napolis has outlined here before that the V12 is practically impossible to race competitively, and that would be an issue for them, I think. The latest LMP1 rumor marginally linked to Ferrari was that Jim released a few sketches of a P4/5 LMP car, which wouldn't be Ferrari powered, but that would be feasible. Would be nice if it were Ferrari powered, though.

6. Rosso Veloce

Rosso Veloce Karting

Feb 14, 2012
    Maryville, TN
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Maserati will be returning to the WEC I believe.

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I would love to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ferrari has plenty of balls up in the air with F1 and the 458GT. That's not to say that they couldn't out-source to Michelotto or Dallara as they have in the past, but even Ferrari (or their partners) don't have an infinite capacity.

CW

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think all the GT2 and GT3 spec 458s are already done by Michelotto.

it would be great to see a proper P1 project by Ferrari, especially with Porsche headed back to P1; but I doubt we'll see it happen :(

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Trouble is, should they come in with a big ol' petrol motor (or a hybrid? :eek:) they'll just get BOP'd to the back of the field. :(

Waste of time, money, energy and talent IMO.....

Hey, Porsche, Audi, Peugeot and and all you wanna be's, wanna play with the big boys? Come play in the big pond, not some BS where you get BOP'd every race.... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    They are, based on my understanding, all manufactured at Michelotto. I don't know to what extent they were designed and/or engineered at SpA v. Michelotto. I imagine Michelotto did a fair bit of it, but if any is coming from SpA, it draws resources. Maybe not an amount of resources such that the drain would cause issues in the F1 program, but nevertheless if it's taking resources away, it's diminishing the Scuderia's chances.

Not to mention, modern LMP1 cars are virtually cost-no-object. I've said it before, but Audi spent (and spends) "space shuttle" money on their program. And, who knows what Porsche is going to spend. To be competitive, SpA will have to spend, too. There may well be synergies and the opportunity to take F1 knowledge and apply it to LMP (as, often, the modern LMP is characterized as a two-seat F1 car), but designing an entirely new tub and aero package isn't inexpensive if you're aiming to be at the front row.

And, does a contractor like Michelotto have pockets deep enough to do this unassisted? I rather doubt it.

CW

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Well Porsche is back now...so we have to wait if Ferrari is going to make any move.

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari left before Porsche was even relevant at La Sarthe.

I don't think that was what what they were waiting for.

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Not gonna happen anytime soon

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The last ones who tried to run F1 and Le Mans programmes at the same time were Mercedes-Benz. And everybody knows how that ended: on a tree.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Keep in mind VW is one of the biggest Auto Cos on the planet. Maybe 1 of the biggest Cos period.

Michelotto doesn't stand a chance against Audi, Lambo, Bentley, VW etc

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree, the resources do have to come from somewhere, and I'm not sure Ferrari (or anyone else) could fund a P1 program out of sponsor dollars alone. and then there's the people, factory, wind tunnel time, etc.

Audi's LMP program is probably as expensive as all but maybe 1 or 2 F1 programs. I've heard numbers up to $300mm/year. very few companies can afford to do that in F1 AND LeMans at the same time, and Fiat/Ferrari ain't one of them :(

17. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Kinda hard to win when you being out spent 100 to one. I think they simply knew that they were outgunned and were not going to get into a spending war they could not win.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    say what you will about Enzo, he was a brilliant businessman.

19. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No question. But you can't beat cubic money. For ever thing Enzo could do....Ford could do 20 more. Its very tough to compete against that kind of money. Indy Car is the perfect example as is the Can Am of the 70's. Both got destroyed because of people spending into oblivion. Same for the Trans Am of the late 60's. Winning at all cost takes things apart faster than anything.

20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Arguably the same applies to today's F1...

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that was my point :)

he knew his strengths (F1), he knew where he couldn't compete (endurance sports cars), and ditched the latter for the former.

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. F1 does play on a larger stage so money can come from all over, but I do think if allowed to continue at the previous levels, it would have done itself in.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    btw I am surprised that Ferrari hasn't entered the customer P2 segment, a la 333SP.

24. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I think F1 is all they want at this point in time.

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    all they have to do is design a car once (P2 is stable enough for one chassis to be good for 5 years or so), hand to Dallara/Michelotto/etc for production, and reap the $$$$$.

I think it could be a good profit center and PR center (class wins at Sebring/Le Mans/Spa/etc etc)

it would also be a great way to "trade up" guys from Challenge and GTE-AM into prototypes while keeping them in the Ferrari brand (think AF Corse and ESM)