Is Fiat in America dying? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Is Fiat in America dying?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Mar 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Mayor,
    I would write to Reid Bigland, Head of Alfa Romeo in the US at their corporate address, copying the dealer principal. I did on a Maserati. I received a call from their customer relations area shortly afterwards.

By the way, once out of warranty FCA were uninterested.
    Philip

2. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    My guess is lucky. I’ve had not great experiences with Helfman for Fords. But this was a whole different level of bad.

When a very knowledgeable F car friend of mine went in to talk to them about a Giulia quad it not a good experience.

I hope it’s gotten better. But they lost me for sure.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've been communicating with their customer relations. Nothing.

I got computer generated SURVEY about the experience with their customer relations. I told the truth that it sucked. 4 separate emails only asking for more information. Where's the mileage? What's your vin? Did you receive a rental car? What was the problem that made you bring it in?

I'm like, you couldn't ask this all at once? It took you 4 days to ask these questions?

So I said in the survey the service to this point has been useless.

I guess that didn't help!

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I think the only way you might get progress is to write to The Man. Tell him there are 10,000 owners and prospects following this thread and indicate if they fail to address the issue you'll seek to Lemon the car.

To your point on surveys, years ago we bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was the "go to" SUV at the time. Dealership experience was truly awful. I received survey after survey from Jeep / Chrysler. None of them got to the issue.

As an aide, the vehicle subsequently had a fuel filter split. Dumped gas everywhere. I think my daughter was 5 and my son 2. I had the worst images imaginable going through my head as I thought about a passer by casually flicking a lighted cigarette butt in the direction of the vehicle and....

We sold it shortly afterwards.

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Why Zumiez, OneMain Holdings, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Jumped Today

'Fiat Chrysler deals with a dip
    Finally, shares of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles gained nearly 8%. The automaker reported yesterday that sales figures for December 2017 were weaker than they were 12 months earlier, with an 11% drop to just under 172,000 units. Sales of Chrysler Pacifica minivans were the best ever for the last month of the year, but fleet sales were down by more than 40%. Nevertheless, investors seemed satisfied with Fiat's explanation that declines were intended to limit sales for rental purposes, and an 18% rise for the Jeep Cherokee was also fairly strong. With good performance in key segments, Fiat Chrysler is holding up well and seems to be on track with its longer-term strategic vision."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/04/why-zumiez-onemain-holdings-and-fiat-chrysler-auto.aspx

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    "and seems to be on track with its longer-term strategic vision."

Vision is we are for sale, would someone please buy us ASAP :)

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    G. Pepper likes this.
  8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Bob,
    Any update on your experience?
    Philip

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I got the car back after almost 2 months and its worked fine since.

I finally talked to someone in customer relations at Alfa. They worked hard to get in touch with me because I was traveling overseas. They keep trying over and over by phone and email.

So I explained the issues and the problem with service in general in the LA area.

I have no idea if they will use the information but at least someone called me.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks for the update.

Glad they were persistent.

Tough for you and for AR when there is insufficient dealer representation or support. I had the same issue with a Lamborghini. Would cause me not to buy another. Thankfully my local F/AR dealer is quite close, owned by an enthusiast and racer and comes from the same part of the world as me.

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    "Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV is investing $1 billion in a Michigan truck factory and paying worker bonuses in the wake of a U.S. tax cut, gestures that could come in handy amid major policy matters being sorted out in Washington.

The Italian-American automaker will share the spoils of a lower corporate tax rate by sending $2,000 checks to about 60,000 U.S. workers. Fiat Chrysler also will spend more than $1 billion and add 2,500 jobs at a factory near Detroit to produce heavy-duty Ram pickups that the company been making in Mexico."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-11/fiat-chrysler-to-give-u-s-workers-2-000-bonuses-after-tax-bill

F1tommy and G. Pepper like this.
  12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Fiat needs an SUV that would be on the Stelvio platform but for 30% less. Or they need a corolla competitor.

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I look at the website for the Fiat Club of America at least a couple of times per week, and it appears that there hasn't been a single new post on there yet in 2018. Pretty good indicator that there is currently a very weak base for owner enthusiasm for Fiat, at least in the USA. I still have my two old Fiat 600's, wouldn't touch a new one on a bet.

15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #143 TheMayor, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Fiat 500 sales off to a bad start in 2018 while new car sales in the US are soaring....

Just as a comparison, the Kia Soul sold almost 6,000 cars in January. Fiat 500: 454

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is the trend for the entire Fiat brand in America. This is the sales of all Fiat branded cars over 4 years in the month of January. So I ask again -- is Fiat dying in America? Sure looks like it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Those numbers are horrific, that's 100 cars sold in the entire country. Our city has Fiat dealers and I don't see how they can stay open even with used car sales.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #146 TheMayor, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    No, its 454 Fiat 500's sold in the entire country and 800 cars of all other "Fiats" sold in the month of JANUARY this year. But they have been losing sales for 4 years now, even when adding new models. Sales are about 1/3 what they were in 2015

Its still pretty pitiful given they some 500's are being offered with leases of $99 a month!

The 500 is too long in the tooth. The 500L was a disaster and the 500X not much better. The irony is the 500X is a Jeep with Fiat clothing and the Jeep version sells well.

The 124 spider is a novelty that they never expected much sales out of. A Mazda with an Italian suit. I never figured out why you would want one instead of the Mazda if you wanted a 2 seat convertible sports car.

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well, I love my 2012 500 Abarth for what it is. Cheap fun. Been super reliable for the 6 months I've had it....

Sent from my LG-H700 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

NEP likes this.
  22. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    This tells me some good deals can be had on new 500s, right?

Honestly, I think the 124 spider is a good looking car. The Mazda Miata, not at all.

craterface and NEP like this.