Is Formula 1 running out of gas? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is Formula 1 running out of gas?

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Oct 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #F1: Liberty Media will reveal 2021 engine rules on 31st Oct. First framework of budget cap on Nov 7th. #AMuS:

vinuneuro likes this.
  3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I've been a proponent of reversed grid for years. Nobody here seems to like it though. You'd sacrifice qualifying but get a lot more entertaining races.

MalcQV and Caracciola like this.
  4. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

I come to think it wouldn't be a bad idea to try something different.

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    nah he'd have been alright. Those cares were .6-1 second faster than anyone at every track

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

The problem is, if you know 1st place becomes last place, there is no incentive to qualify for pole.

All Drivers then try to qualify for 10th spot.

Only a draw out of the hat can truly work.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As I said, you'd lose qualifying. Becomes another practice session.

MalcQV likes this.
  8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I like the idea of reverse grid, works well in other series. But three practice sessions is already too many. Get rid of FP3, move up quali and race, and add the reverse grid race based on the race results.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    reversed grid is a nonsense to me, thats not racing anymore....

crinoid likes this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Neither Elton or Seb are "worth" 4 titles"..the fact that next year they will probably be fighting for their fifth only shows how low is the current level in f.1. In the grand scheme of f.1, none of them is worth more than 1, maybe to W.D.c at most. Winning simply became too easy. There are too many races adn to me this makes it less exclusive, less exciting. Racing is poor, cars are crap, drivers are average at best, and the rules are as stupid as they can be.....i confess i watch more for a force of habit and because i love Ferrari than because i hope to see a good race....of course there are good batles and good races from time to time, but i would say that 80% of the time, it's pretty biring out there....Look at GP2 and it's a lot more fun...

MalcQV likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    You can introduce most restrictions based on how large of a points lead the leader has. I.e. if they are 30 points ahead you limit fuel rate to a certain amount, 50 points even more, etc. Or you can do things like allow DRS and super soft tires for everyone else but the leader. No need for a reverse grid...

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    this is right up there with your 'alonso is a crap driver' posts ;)

tifosi12 likes this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Turn one of the FP into a testing session where anything goes. Or a dedicated session to #3 and #4 drivers to give newbies a chance.

vinuneuro likes this.
  14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And don't forget that Alesi is a racing god. Despite the fact that the guy never figured out for what team to drive. Which is part of the full package as well.

Caracciola likes this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes it is..just as acurate...

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Actualy he did, he choose the ebst possible team for 1991...he hadn't a crystal ball to figure they would implode themselves and a worst team like williams would become better...hinsight is a wonderfull thing...to bad it arrives a bit too late...

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    If you believe that, you must admit Alonso sucks really bad!!!

18. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Too complicated, beside people don't understand fuel rate.

You don't need to punish good cars and good drivers , just make them work harder among the less fortunate competitors.

The best cars and the best drivers will still win most of the time, but the spectators will see them climbing back through the field , instead of parading at the front during all the race.

MalcQV likes this.
  19. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

It's only a nonsense to you.
    It works very well in the BTCC among other series and provides a good show people keep coming back to watch.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #70 BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Well I don't think it will be difficult to understand as MotoGP has had rules in place for years to help out privateer teams and Ducati when Honda and Yamaha were running away with everything. They were allowed larger fuel tanks (so more fuel flow) and use soft tires in qualifying. Privateers also were allowed to use more engines per season. I think it helped make the series better.

More details on that: https://motomatters.com/analysis/2015/03/23/the_2015_motogp_rules_primer_engines_fue.html

If they start getting podiums, they start losing those benefits. Open class/privateer get those benefits regardless of results.

That would make F1 better. There is a table in there comparing it all.

Edit: keep in mind that's how it used to be in MotoGP.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

F1 will be out of fans before it is out of gas. Its a hybrid thing :)

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    So the people with 35-55 grid spot penalties would start at the front ?!?!

23. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Sorry but I do not get that...all the time we hear over here that the F1 must be the pinnacle of motorsports and then you want to bring it down to a "good show"...
    Get rid of the test ban and let the games begin....
    Now we have cost reduction with test bans...does that mean that the smaller teams are winning all of the sudden? I guess not. So if Mercedes, RB and Ferrari want to spent a fortune on testing day and night so be it. I doubt that it would have harmed the results of Williams, Sauber or Haas as they never really competed with them anyway! But maybe Honda would be nearer and Renault as well...

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point.

Grid spot penalties for changing parts would have to go. Penalties for bad driving would still apply and send folks backwards.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A complete F1 driver needs to have many skills. Choosing the right team is one of them. It's something Alonso is terribly bad at. Otherwise he is perfect.

Lewis OTOH got the art of choosing the right team pretty much down to a t. And that translates into more WDCs.