Is Formula 1 running out of gas? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Is Formula 1 running out of gas?

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Oct 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Not so much these days with testing limited to ridiculous, almost dangerous levels (and adding boredom, or ruining title races, because reliability suffers as new parts, untested, fail in the only test they have, either qualifying or the race itself, rather than on a test car in fiorano or Mugello)

Races are won by the team that earliest interprets the rules, and that winning streak is guaranteed once the rules are locked in place, Ala Mercedes for the last four years

DF1 and crinoid like this.
  2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I am finished with F1. IMO It isn't a real sport. It's a spectacle and my wife and I enjoy the spectacle but I am almost gone. She still watches intently.

Why would anyone watch any sport that is already decided before the start of first practice? I've tried to look past the stupid rules that limits the competition. I cannot any longer. Make the cars more equal like Nascar and let the best drivers win on a given day. I don't like Nascar BTW. I would love to see Sauber with a win somehow someway. I just want to see some racing. There is little to none. Again IMO. I used to race motorcycles myself. Amateur level but I was still racing . We had different winners at different tracks on different days.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

It could be Ferrari next time. You never know.

4. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

F1 tries to be 2 things at one: a championship for drivers, and a championship for constructors. With the importance of technology, it's not compatible anymore and one had to give.

5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I hope we do get a turn, because without it, the way the sport is these days, we will never win a title again without the built in cheats enjoyed by red bull, and now mercedes

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Was like that since its inception. Midfielders and backend teams will rarely get to the front. Nothing new.

Hell no! If you like it that way, well then watch NASCRAP.

That has already happened. With Kubica at the wheel.

Caracciola likes this.
  7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    [QUOTEThat has already happened. With Kubica at the wheel.[/QUOTE]

In a BMW - Sauber V8.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Imagine if the #10 pro tennis player's racquet and string were superior to every other player's equipment? Nadal , Federer and others are more skilled but they can't compete as well because of equipment restrictions. How is this any different?

Matters not to me if this is how it's always been. I don't see how they can attract new fans with this current setup. I only started watching closely about 5-6 years ago and I'm out already.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If you want to see everyone in equal machinery the only option is support series or indycar (for openwheelers of course).

I do get your point however. I'd love to see another OW championship as fast as F1 is (or even faster actually, to be truly successful), but all equal machinery, and make it purely about the driver. I like the car development side of F1 to a certain degree but in the end the actual racing has to be the most entertaining.

Depending what F1 does next it could almost be feasible...

My list for a rival series:

-Similar set up to how F2 races are run currently, qualifying, a feature race (200km) on Saturday and sprint race on Sunday with reverse grid (first 8).
    -Big 3.5 liter V10 with direct injection, 19K rpm. Should be good for over 1200hp. Hopefully options by Cosworth, Gibson, Mecachrome...maybe some car manufacturers if they get interested
    -simpler aero package with longer wings, still loads of airflow but less impact from car in front, additional venturi tunnels for more uninterupted downforce
    -steel brakes. Both for cost reasons and longer braking zone
    -Big fat slicks
    -because less fuel is needed cars can be much shorter wheel base (looks far better imo), they'll resemble early 90s F1 cars more
    -Mechanical differentials that can't be adjusted on the fly
    -6 speed gearbox, well build with thick gears so they'll be long lasting. Preferably manual but for cost reasons (engine blow ups and all) I can kinda get going for flappy paddles
    -NO DRS malarky
    -A team should be able to be ran on a 5 million budget.
    -Stream via Youtube, proper working app (paid for?) with all the info you need

I think the biggest issue is the FIA and their monopoly...

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Will this help F1 - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132542/f1-plans-to-launch-live-streaming-service

Formula 1 plans to launch an online live streaming service in 2018 as part of a radical overhaul of its digital and broadcast strategies.

A big effort is being made to expand F1's digital presence under new owners Liberty Media, and a live streaming service from races, plus other offerings in between events providing extra data and behind-the-scenes footage, are set to be rolled out for the start of next season.

Although the plans have not yet been formally announced, F1's commercial chief Sean Bratches has told Autosport that it had no choice but to pursue an 'over the top' offering if it was going to attract bigger future audiences.

"We have an obligation to our fans, quite candidly, to ensure that they are able to access our content in any means they want," he said.

"We would be derelict if we pursued a path for anything other than that."

Despite rumours that F1 could use platforms like Netflix or Amazon for its live streaming service, Bratches is clear that it will be done entirely in-house.

"Our objective is to create platforms in the direct-to-consumer arena that engage fans and leverage our assets - whether they are live races, archival [or] are data," he said.

But Bratches is looking at opportunities to work with global media companies to create more content that is suitable for them.

"We are trying to create content that lives outside the grand prix weekends, which has been almost non-existent from digital or linear standpoints," he said.

"Our objective is to engage with the Netflix of the world, [with] the Amazons, and create content that fans can consume, which is compelling and tells different stories about what is going on in F1."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The live stream offerings will only be available in markets where it would not clash with pre-exiting television deals that have guaranteed exclusivity.

The launch of the service was one of the reasons that US broadcaster NBC shied away from renewing its rights deal, because it did not want to face competition from F1's own promoter.

One market where the live streaming service is unlikely to be offered is the UK, as Sky has a multi-year exclusive contract.

11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I was reading this and wondering how they would get around the television rights owned by companies already, hence, what's the point, why not help the likes of sky etc expand online with their existing content, must be a more cost effective way of doing things surely

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  13. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Thanks to SKY TV and their exclusive TV deal from 2019 onwards, F1 is about to lose @ two thirds of it's fans in the UK!

As I see it, unless a deal can be done with someone else, such as Channel 4/Channel 5/ or the BBC, to show some sort of coverage of F1 alongside SKY (which I gather SKY have no interest in allowing - They're hoping to force all F1 fans to have to have SKY TV to watch their favourite sport), come 2019 F1 will start to die the death in the UK!

Liberty Media need to work out which is more important to them: The TV money or having fans interested in the sport.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's not like we can take the internet option in the UK anyhow with it's 3rd world internet speeds:D:D:D

Either way a simple proxy will do the trick if you wish to watch on the app.

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    F1 sucks.

All you have to do is check out the quali and race threads… interest has been falling each year.

No one even bothered to start a quali thread until Q2 for the US GP.

It's a farce.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    We can thank Jean Todt and the slow acting FIA for this.

furmano and daytona355 like this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Getting 500 Mbps over here in the real '3rd world'.Add a decent box then there are options...

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    F1 is toast. They need to put it on free tv and be satisfied with ads revenue. Going for pay services at a time when pay tv profit is falling globally for everyone is a really strange decision. It was hard enough for teams to find large sponsors when times were good. The only teams that are doing well are the ones with unicorn deals. Mclaren has been without a title sponsor for 4 years. Now they don't have Uncle Honda footing the bill for engines or Alonso.

Teams cannot attract viable sponsors with vastly declining viewership. At some point, a large team will reach the point of overshoot and collapse, and that will be it for F1 as a large sport because what few minnows that are left will follow suit.

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The first season of F1 I watched was '76 with the epic Hunt/Lauda matchup, so I've been around a while. I gave up on F1 with the current turbo V6 formula (Ironic, since the '76 formula was similar) because Mercedes nailed it, and nobody else was allowed to develop and catch up. It simply got boring, and the cars sound like leaf blowers, so I tuned out. Hamilton being a whiny itch didn't help.

This would bring me back, though. The only race series I follow anymore is Moto GP, and I subscribe to the live feed. I love watching Moto 3, Moto 2, and Moto GP races back-to-back. I know all the riders, and I've watched them progress from series to series over the years. I go to F1 parties with my local FCA chapter sometimes, and the viewing experience is suboptimal with all the commercial interruptions, especially compared to the Moto GP viewing experience. A well done live feed w/o all that commercial crud I would gladly pay for, even if the formula is dumb and the races are boring.

CSM0TION, DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I get 2mb on a good day. Currently nothing for 3rd consecutive day as there has been some wind and the above ground cables are moving too much. Zero possibility to have quicker internet, unless I pay out of my own pocket (10s of thousands) to get a fibre optic line installed...

Having lived in actual 3rd world countries my internet there was quicker.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Anyone struggling to watch the race is welcome to pm me, and they could download the sky app and use my login to watch. Of corse, only one person can do it at a time though, but I’m happy to help

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bas and CSM0TION like this.
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I look up the TV schedule for the USGP today and this is what I see... no wonder we are bored. There hasn't been any real competition in years. It's a Mercedes and Lewis exhibition. It's not a racing anymore.

I don't blame Lewis or Mercedes. I blame everyone else in the sport for letting them have such an easy time of it --- especially this season. Its like Ferrari wanted Mercedes to win.

When the only drama is what will Alonso say against Honda as they cruise around the track, you know things have degenerated into a soap opera.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas likes this.
  23. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    Everyone complains about F1 but I friggin love it.

I love the speed, the different tracks around the world, the technical details on the cars......etc etc.

What I don't like.....all the damn grid penalties that upset races.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You would love it a whole lot more if you didn't think the same people would win every race.

25. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Why does everyone in the UK hate SKY?