Is it a bad time to buy a 360 (F1)? | FerrariChat

Is it a bad time to buy a 360 (F1)?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Vol34, Jul 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vol34

Vol34 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2021
    I know collector/classic/exotic car prices have shot up recently. Seems like everything is higher from 996 Turbos, E46 M3's, C5 Z06's, R8's, Jeeps....to 360's, 430's and 458's. Part of me thinks this is going to cool off in 6 months to a year and part of me thinks I should jump in and grab a 360 before it gets ridiculous and never comes down. I know the gated cars are significantly higher but the F1 cars are up too. Many more for sale ads are in the mid 80's and 90's for F1 cars with 15k - 25k miles. Now they are for sale for awhile so selling prices may be different than asking.

I'm a collector car guy who is always monitoring the market for cars of interest to me but I can't get my head wrapped around this Covid/microchip shortage/EV price jump. Will it subside when production of new cars is fully back online or will it just keep going because "they aren't making V8/V10 NA cars anymore".

I'll listen to any insight from guys who are more familiar with the Ferrari market than me.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. RandyMullinsWv

Apr 28, 2015
    WV
    Full Name:
    Randy Mullins
    Well the 355s went down to a certain point then went back up and are still going
    When will the 360 do this? I tend to think the deprecation would be near the bottom right now

3. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    My own humble view as a 360 F1 owner is that you’re not going to see big gains but you’ve got a pretty good margin of safety on the downside in terms of being able to get into an NA V8 Ferrari for $85k. Just buy a good one.

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, bad time....wait until you see how 2022 shakes out.

AndreB, timjen88 and shashi27 like this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    does $15K matter to you? 360 F1s are likely to stay bid as people will want to convert them. if the world falls apart they go back down $15k, not $40k, as they havent appreciated much during the past couple years. they were 70 and now theyre 80.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Yeah of course. And then you gotta look at 2023. And after that might as well look at 2030s

YOLO and it’s not life changing $$ here.

In the long run, we’re all dead.

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Most rational people agree this is a very unusual market at this time...why rush in under these circumstances?

And while you might have unlimited funds, most of us looking for sub-$100k cars don't, so $20-30k is a big deal

And YOLO shouldn't mean making poor financial decisions....people have too much debt and too little savings.

AndreB, timjen88 and lkstaack like this.
  8. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    So how low do you think 360s are likely to go and what point would you suggest the OP purchases?

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I think prices for cars like a 360 get reset to a Feb 2020 level plus maybe a 5% adder for inflation when this is all over. The OP can obviously purchase what and when he wants, he never actually states his budget, and maybe more importantly, how much his budget could grow on a month to month basis. I am assuming that by the cars he mentions, that he is not uber wealthy (same with me). I am wanting a new DD, but even regular cars are caught up in the crazyness so I'm on the sideline also waiting it out.

10. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Cool. So how much is the Feb 2020 level +/- 5%?

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    One would have to go do the research. old ads or posts here could certainly be of assistance....also BAT past auctions. You might also find someone here who was charting cars for sale in that time period.

12. the_dan

the_dan Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Except you were the one who suggested that time period. So it would appear incumbent on you to do the research, otherwise it would look like you are pulling numbers from the proverbial.

brookliner7 likes this.
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #13 Shark01, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    LOL....so I should do all the work that a prospective buyer should do just to give you a starting point? Lazy much? LOL

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I bought a really nice 360 F1 with 21K miles on it in August 2017. I paid a fair price reflective of the market at the time. I have not seen 360 prices increase significantly in the past 4 years. If you want a 360 I would search the market and purchase the car you will be happy with with no regrets (options, color combo, etc). As a collector, you will be looking for the long term so the slight increase in the prices you may see now are not significant--- in the long run.

I do not think the prices you see now are going to drop. Stabilize for a while, maybe. But to buy an F1 360 now IMO is no mistake and waiting is probably not a good plan. My Uncle was a real estate broker and his mantra was: I never remember meeting someone who said; "I'm glad I waited".

The old adage a rising tide lifts all boats (or Ferraris) may apply in the next few years.

IMHO, I believe the 360 will become a rather sought after model (even the F1 models) despite it's higher production numbers. It is a nice blend of tech and the driving experience is still visceral without unnecessary tech interference. The body design is timeless and doesn't seem to be dated even 20 years later. Of course the low mileage nice examples , well maintained (as with most marques) will fetch the most but even well cared for cars that have been loved should also have a market above what you may pay now for an F1 360. Just my 2 cents.

15. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    1 year ago, I nearly purchased a 360 F1 with service records, no accidents, and 34k miles for $49k. Granted, the pandemic caused a crash in used car prices initially, but I would think that car was probably $60-65k in 2019.

That same car would now have an asking price of ~$80k+. This is not a normal market. I think waiting 12 months will see significantly lower prices for 360 F1s, in the high $60k-low $70k range likely. Even 3-4 months ago, this is where they were priced.

I'm seeing people listing F1 gearbox cars for nearly $100K with 25-30k miles. That makes no sense to me.

Shark01 likes this.
  16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Bookmark this thread and let’s revisit in 12 months. I’ll bet you a Diet Coke 360 prices do not come down in 12 months.

Samiare, tatry68, ScottS and 10 others like this.
  17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Factors driving price up;

1) speculators pulling clean examples off the market
    2) attrition due to newbs in mid engine car tricks ending up in copart lots
    3) post dampendic excess funds and awareness of mortality
    4) Segway of new cars into blah hybrid drives…
    5) current supply chain disruption rising all boats

18. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    the cars are not going up, the dollar is going down.

tatry68, catdog, patina and 13 others like this.
  19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=589926621&zip=30728&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D30728%26city%3DLa%2BFayette%26incremental%3Dall%26modelCodeList%3D360%26makeCodeList%3DFER%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26location%3D%255Bobject%2BObject%255D%26state%3DGA%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26relevanceConfig%3Ddefault%26searchRadius%3D0%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=360&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FER&modelCode1=360&clickType=listing

13k miles for under $70k, clean title...I was looking in 2016, from what I remember the F1 prices weren't a whole lot different than this. I was looking for a gated though...much different price point. Had the conversions been as available as they are now. I would have probably went for something like this. I don't see it as a bad time to buy at all as I don't see the Ferraris following necessarily the same trend as "normal" used cars.

But don't buy a Range Rover or a Mercedes right now...

Texas Forever and one4torque like this.
  20. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I kind of think the year will matter. And while some folks are asking "too much" in my estimation as you too believe; the year model may come into play. 1999 being the first year 360 will probably not bring what a '03 or '04 will. Most folks are aware of the old adage "never buy the first year of a new model" And when talking about the F1 360s it's probably valid--- Especially when one considers the TCU upgrades. But of course there are many folks who don't do their homework and will buy on a whim. So that may not even be a factor for some when comparing pricing.

Personally, I think the 360s have been undervalued. Even selling prices at or near $95K for a very clean, well maintained, and cosmetically top notch F1 example don't seem out of the realm of reality to me. And to add, I think the stick cars while they have their following may even become less desirable (clutch pearls now :D) as younger folks that become more affluent, who never drove a stick in their life, will not be so enamored with the romance of shifting a gated shifter. There will be collectors of course, but only of the cream of the crop of gated 360s.

rs812 and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Vol34

Vol34 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2021
    You may be right but 85k still seems a bit high unless it has some strong features. I'm talking with someone about a coupe F1 with under 15k miles that I can get in the mid/high 60's. Car is stock, 70 - 70% clutch left, had a ppi last year/500 miles ago that checked out. Needs belt service and tires are low quality but seems like it may be a good car. 99 car so I'm assuming I'd want to upgrade the tcu to the later model.

22. Vol34

Vol34 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2021
    Ha, I get sarcasm.

23. Vol34

Vol34 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2021
    I haven't seen a car in the forties but that is my exact observation and my thought as well.

24. Vol34

Vol34 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2021
    I agree and often think the same regarding first year models. My research hasn't shown me any reason to stay away from a 99. Looks like $2k and the tcu can be upgraded to the latest version...unless there is something else I'm missing. Some 03, 04 asking prices are in the 90's. I think that is high even for this market because they are not 4k mile examples. I actually do not want a red car so I won't be paying that premium...lol.

25. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    the 99's have no pre-cats, so they make a little more power, and they wont throw a check engine light if you change the headers. But its 22 years old.

Texas Forever, E60 M5 and RedNeck like this.