Is it possible to actually hit 400whp with bolt ons? | FerrariChat

Is it possible to actually hit 400whp with bolt ons?

Discussion in '360/430' started by collegeboy, Aug 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    This is not a super important thing to me, but I think it would be nice.

If you take a Challenge Stradale which is already an amazing car, and do all of the simple bolt-on (and easily reversible) mods that are available, (cats, headers, capristo exhaust, Kinetix intake manifold, air boxes),is it possible to hit or get close to 400rwhp? That, naturally aspirated in such a light car would be a blast. And the noise of a Capristo 3 just never gets old too.

Has anyone done this and have a dyno to share? I have searched and searched, and it is hard to find exactly what I am looking for. I have a friend with a 430 Challenge track car, and someone with a stock Stradale, so I don't have much to pull from.

I'm looking to buy a Challenge Stradale currently if I ever find the right one (no I am not in college despite my name), and while I plan on keeping the car mostly stock, I'd like to be able to do a little to give it a little more pep.

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So you are thinking of a 50 +/- HP jump over stock yes?

400 RWHP divided by .85 (normal drivetrain losses) = 470 crank HP.

I think that would be a stretch with bolt-ons.

With that said... There is a chap on here that states he has done just that. He also has a video posted on You-Tube driving his Stradale with said mods.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1x6IzBF8d0]Ferrari Challenge Stradale by Veloce Performance - YouTube[/ame]

Perhaps he can chime in & post before & after dyno charts.

3. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

My personal opinion (take it for what it's worth) is that Ferraris are not really modders dream cars. They a pretty well balanced on power/brakes/suspension/chassis right off the showroom floor and are meant to be enjoyed as spirited drivers cars, not 1/4 mile dragsters or stoplight racers.

You even said in your original post that adding power is not that important. I'm telling you, in the 360 or 430, power isn't the driving experience. The 360CS only adds a few more HP over the regular 360 Modena, but it is a very big change in experience because of the whole package.

You can get a Mustang or a Viper or a Corvette and go to town getting oodles of HP out of them and your money will be better spent. I easily get 400rwhp in my Mustang which is of the same vintage as the Ferrari 360. Throwing money at modding a Ferrari 360 often doesn't yield much HP for the dollar and doesn't materially alter the experience of the car. Look for small tweaks to polish the ride how you want it, don't expect big quantum leaps in anything. And the car doesn't really need any.

Exhaust is mostly about the sound and giving you the musical note you want to hear when driving (or fixing flaws in the OEM headers). Maybe some tweaks to brakes or suspension geometry if you track it. Air boxes and filters, again, just tweaking the sound more than anything. And this from a guy that has expensive exhaust and air boxes.

Even the 458, which is a helluva car, is slower than the new McLaren. But even the guys at Top Gear said it doesn't matter, the Ferrari 458 is just a more special driving experience.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    read this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/158419-360stradale-6-speed-manual-conversion.html

(yes in the beginning it's going on about twin turbo but that idea luckily got scrapped!)

Trev went through considerable trouble to get the amount of power he did out of it. Certainly not with simple bolt ons, but the engine hasn't been opened.

IMO, his next step, if he wants more power is 12.5 compression pistons, knife edge fully balanced crank titanium valve springs and ported head...and a 10000rpm map ;).

I recommend anyone to read that thread, spectacular project and really tells you a lot on how these cars are build, what real weight reduction can do and that companies claiming 40hp from a remap are full of ****!

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I never change an exhaust system for power gains, that's not going to make a thing. I change them for the sound alone. The best way to get more out of a 360 is to get a f430 and make it lighter.

6. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    #6 Evan.Fiorentino, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With these cars coming out of the factory already producing very impressive HP to Displacement ratios it can be difficult to make big increases in power like you would on a turbo car. Now, with that being said I have personally seen time and time again 360's and 430's pick up power when changing the exhaust components. I think that for a Challenge Stradale it is realistic to expect to see around 360-370 whp with full bolt ons. As great as these cars are out of the factory, they are not perfect ( Like the header design for starters) and improvements can be made with proper engineering research and development like Fabspeed has done.

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to help! Check out the dyno below of our 360 :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login