Is it time for gun control in America? | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Is it time for gun control in America?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Sorry, I did overlook the last line of your post! Reminds me of the old native American saying "only when the last river is poisoned... will man realise you can't drink money"

2. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    Absolutely no problem :)

Suprised myself watching the 4 corners item; I thought there might be a few wells; as so little attention paid in the mainstream media.

But 3000 !!!????

I had no idea, there was a yankee doco on SBS which was profoundly disturbing.

Besides the environmental rape & pillage; the displacement of peoples on thier own land by corporations almost without consequence beggars belief.

I dont want a gun.

I would much prefer artillery.

3. RPN

RPN Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    Is it time for gun control in America ?

The answer does appear to be yes !

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/556350/gun-violence-fact-sheet.pdf

4. HWHL

HWHL Karting

Jul 31, 2012
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I read the below on Yahoo news earlier in response to Obama's reforms.
    I don't envy the job they have to reform anything over there, I can't understand the mentality that you need an assault rifle.
    I don't know anything about the gun laws overseas, but I would have thought that a background check would have been the first step before anything else.

The National Rifle Association, the top gun lobby group, warned that only law abiding gun owners would be affected, and "our children will remain vulnerable to the inevitability of more tragedy."

Immediate reaction from pro-gun politicians to Obama's plans to curb 11,000 annual firearms homicides in America also hinted at the unpromising political terrain the president's plans face.

Senate Democratic majority leader Harry Reid welcomed the "thoughtful" proposals but gave no commitment to act on specific measures.

While background checks may attract support, a ban on assault weapons could force many Democrats from largely conservative states to unwelcome tough votes in the run-up to the 2014 mid-term election.

Several prominent Republicans rejected Obama's plans out of hand, accusing him of attacking the right to bear arms.

"Guns require a finger to pull the trigger," Texas Republican Governor Rick Perry said.

"There is evil prowling in the world... let us all return to our places of worship and pray for help."

Republican Senator Marco Rubio, a potential 2016 presidential hopeful, added: "guns are not the problem; criminals with evil in their hearts and mentally ill people prone to violence are."

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The thing is politicians are meant to be there to do things that the majority of people want.

Soo...if gun reform would get them voted out of office, it can only mean that the majority or people don't want gun reform....or they don't care enough to vote.

Further, when gun reform was announced in Aus, it didn't cost votes, in fact it probably gained some.

Am I oversimplifying things?

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    It wont happen, thank God.
    Let me ask you this, why is the american homeland security dept buying 1.2 Billion rounds of ammo? Theres only 300 million americans. That 4 bullets per citizen.
    Ed

7. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    I think it is too late for change,things are way out of control and if thats the kind of world they want to live in, they are welcome to it, little better than Afghanistan in the long run. Its a mentally deficient society that accepts the slaughter of children as a by-product of their social engineering. And no amount praying by the white mullahs will unwarp the place. Happy not to be there and we should just leave them to it if thats what they really think is acceptable normality.
    Such a weird place,

8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
    Ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus
    Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California
    And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio
    And all my dreams would come true

Jagger/Richards 1978

9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Amen, totally agree

10. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    #710 simon klein, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Yep,hope we've seen the last of the the pro's on here.

Perhaps it's a simple-minded point of view,but sh*t we don't need their radical(to us)ideas and they certainly don't want(need) the truth read out to them,'cos they'all know better than a mob of free(open-minded) thinkers.

"strewth,I'm going back to listen to some of their best export.

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    When did all you guys down under go all beta male on us? :)
    Ed

12. VMax

VMax F1 Rookie

Nov 21, 2003
    Perth, W.Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike Sharpe
    John Howard wrote an opinion piece in the NYT about that very thing yesterday:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/opinion/australia-banned-assault-weapons-america-can-too.html

I had a tremendous amount of fun shooting various semi and fully automatic weapons in Las Vegas a few months ago, but no amount of fun is worth the regular news of yet another mass shooting :(

13. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    One to each knee cap, one in the chest, one in the head. Makes sense to me

14. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Tell me(us)Greg,have you ever had to deal with gunshot wounds(or worse),if so I don't suppose you'd like to give me(us) an insite of the actual damage they cause...in a blow by blow explanation.
    Thanx,in advance.
    I have my spew bucket handy.

15. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    There was actually a good documentary on SBS last night, set in the ER of a hospital in the Bronx NY. Loads of gunshot victims (those that survived the initial assault). Damage depends on calibre, distance etc but basically it can be a very messy job opening up someone's chest/abdomen/head and trying to identify the trajectory of the bullet and which structures it damaged on the way in and out. Vital organs like the liver are really quite soft to touch and it doesn't take much to blow it apart.

16. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    We didn't - we just don't associate guns with alpha maleness - quite the contrary, in fact.

17. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Eggzachary

18. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    And all this time I thought that was a gun in your pocket :D

19. I16

I16 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2008
    #719 I16, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Nah, just the prospect of a V12 on full song, even without carbs in my case. Still, better than nothing or a 66% engine or gold chains...

Hey, wish me luck - I'm in for a double ended borescope next week by one of your mates.. At least when we do that to jet engines we don't have to knock the engine out...

21. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  22. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Best of luck and hope the prep ain't to savage :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  24. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Rationalising that 2-3 people shot at random doesn't count as a massacre? They're a lost cause. Period.

25. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Andrew, what can you say to people who think like that? Totally different mindset.