Is it too early to start my road trip thread? | FerrariChat

Is it too early to start my road trip thread?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, May 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    On May 16th I fly home from work. On May 17th my buddy arrives from CA. On May 18th we fire up the Mondial at about 5am and start on our trip from Baton Rouge to Sacramento, CA. Rough route is 10 to 287 in Beaumont, TX to Hwy 50 in CO to Sac.

I have 14 months on the service I performed. It spent some time in the shop over the last few months getting looked over, new tires installed, fuel pump, clutch slave, new top and seal at windshield header. This weekend I'll try to fix the heater valve and then I'd like to put some miles on it before the trip.

Is it too early to start this thread? I'm not a great storyteller but I will try to post pics along the way. I'm just a bit too excited not to start.

2. Rooster_In_Ohio

Rooster_In_Ohio Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2011
    Cleveland
    Full Name:
    David
    A wise man once said, "The long trip begin with the first post."

Post on, Grasshopper.

3. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    You certainly have bigger balls than me!

Photos are a must.

Best of luck.

Cheers

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Document the heck out of this for us PV! Fun.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #5 PV Dirk, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From the moment I purchased the car I'd planned to make a journey like this. I'm not sure this is what the car was built for, but I know I'm going to enjoy the heck out of going through Colorado.

The car will be stored in Sacramento for the summer. I'll be making a couple trips out there to enjoy it in Northern CA. In September I plan on going on a trip to Victoria BC with a buddy for two nights of pub crawl. I'm looking forward to taking the picture of the car on the Ferry between countries.

There is definately some anxiety but all I can do is turn the key and go. I did take it on a 3 day 1500 mile trip a few months ago.

The pic is before the new top, still sporting stylish black duct tape.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #6 Valenzo, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    Why? You wouldn't take a cross country trip in a Mondial or any car? Personally I think the Mondial is made for such a trip.

Have a blast PV and we want pictures every step of the way!

I'm taking a similar trip but on the east coast to the Midwest and will start a thread as well. Show me how its done.

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Bon Voyage !!!

Looking forward to "trip" documentation :):):)

Just be safe............

Hank

8. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Stop worrying, the more they run the better they run.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #9 PV Dirk, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
    I'm home for a few days before I go back to work. I'm hoping to fix the heater control valve, lubricate the rear windows and detail the car. When I return the car will be ready to go. I did pick it up from storage today and took it to the grocery store, what a beautiful day we have had here.

My neighbor almost got rear ended in his 348 today. He was in traffic at a light and the old folks in the Camry behind him started to accelerate toward his non moving rear bumper. They slammed on the brakes at the last second. Scared him. Who knows what they saw or thought they were doing. He suggested I just put my car away until it is the day of the trip. You never know when it's coming for you.

I'm thinking a Sunday trip to Natchez to look at the swelling river.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Don't bother detailing it before the trip, it's going to get dirty. Just drive it! The car will make the journey just fine. These things actually like to drive. What they hate is sitting a long time, THEN driving!!

11. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    That does sound like fun. Tiring and loud, but fun.

You'll have to drop by on your way to Victoria so we can get a photo of the black Mondials together and have a few warm up pints.

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Today I lubricated the rear window mechanisms, installed some cheap seat covers and took out the ferrari logo floor mats in favor of the stock carpets. Shows how badly faded my carpeting is, but I like it. Tomorrow I'll likely wash it, a touch of wax on the upper surfaces, clean the dust off the dash and she'll be ready to put into storage to revist on the 18th for the start of the big trip. When I wash it I'll also be able to see how well the new top and seal keep the water out.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Just got a jury duty notice. I want to be on a jury. I turn 40 in a couple days and have never been on one. But the notice is for the 17th. Nice work, 1.5 weeks notice. I have a lot going on. I'm faxing a letter to the judge tomorrow to request a deferment. We will see how it goes. My buddy already has the flight paid for, to land on the 17th.

More than 1.5 weeks notice and I could change everything, but at this point I have a lot riding on my 5/18 departure. Several people have commited money and time to this summers events based on my plans. It is a civic duty, am I off base?

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    For some reason I thought I'd pulled the spare tire and checked it but I had not. Today I pulled it out and it had about 10psi in it. It is original never been used. Never been bolted to a vehicle. Even says Ferrari on the rim. Very cute.

15. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    If you need anything when you are in Sacramento shoot me a PM. I am in Folsom just east of Sacramento. Have a good trip.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Only if you're still in love-bug season. We've had it pretty bad this year but I think it's just about over.

Have an memorable trip (which really goes without saying...) :)

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Got a call from the judges office this morning. They are totally fine with releasing me to go on my vacation. They were very nice about it.

The car got washed, it barely leaked at all, and it looks fantastic. I can't wait. 6 days to go! I also put clearshield on the fog lights. Yesterday I flew to Dallas for a week of work. On Monday the 16th I fly home to do final prep.

18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    This is going to be cool.

19. jongottschalk

jongottschalk Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Pass Christian, MS
    Full Name:
    Jon Gottschalk
    Was that on the way to see me? Still working on my head project and they keep sending me parts incomplete.....each time adds a couple of weeks.

Anyway, have an awesome time!!! Ill come visit BR when I get mine back together!

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I look forward to seeing your car on the road, we'll be able to take some great pics with the black and white.

It seems that working on these cars and ordering parts is 2 steps forward and 1 step back but it's just a matter of time.

I have two more days until drive time. I'm still planning on Wednesday before 5am as drive time. Hoping to spend the first night in Amarillo. Lunch at the Fort Worth stockyards.

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Less than 24 hours, pick up my buddy at the airport at 2:50pm, then tomorrow morning we are on the road. I installed new foam on the hood that seals the top of the radiator, tightened one slightly loose tenax fastener by the engine bay, checked the oil and now we are ready.

22. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I think just in time considering the tide heading your way. :)

23. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Yes, and I'll have to watch out for fleeing animals coming across I-10 according to news reports. My wife mentioned that according to flood maps if the MS river levee breaks anywhere near us we may be under 20 - 30 feet of water.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dirk- Sounds like a fun trip and good luck on the flood. With the gates open, you should be OK.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #25 PV Dirk, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picked up my friend at the airport. Car ran great on the trip to pick him up, about 100 miles. Anytime a friend shows up it is a good enough opportunity to do a boil. We are leaving town in style. Tomorrow at 4am our alarms will go off, we'll be on the road asap after that.

A toast of Ouzo before the trip is pic two.