Is it wise to buy a Euro car? | FerrariChat

Is it wise to buy a Euro car?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Morrie, Aug 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    I'm looking at a 308 but wonder about the wisdom of a Euro car. Can anyone advise on the pluses or minuses if any?

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    If you live in a State with emissions and inspections criteria, then you need to ask your dmv before pursuing a euro car. I PREFER euro cars, as they are exempt where i am, and they dont have all that extra crap on them that ruins the lines of the car.

so "it depends".

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't ask anyone.....buy it.....LOL!

No.... check for paperwork, they require a Bond to the DOT/EPA that is only released upon certification, which can be achieved "many ways"... if you get my drift.

Depending on the year there are always technical differences but largely it has to do with safety items like bumpers and door crash beams, they won't have them.

Result is weight savings which compared year to year favors the Euro models.

BUT make sure it is here legally to avoid confiscation and the crusher.

If it is old enough to carry a 5 digit VIN, no one will understand it anyway and you'll be golden...

What do you have???!!!!

4. Euro Quattro

Euro Quattro Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Kent
    I have a euro model & have not had a issue licensing it at all,when I first got in 2003 they ran it through emissions & it passed with flying colors with no pollution contro on it at all & they never said a word about it. The vin would even come up in there database but they issued me my certifacation & I got my registration & tags anyway. This is in Vancouver Washington. Now I dont have to run it through any more & I am so glad I bough a euro model,its so much easier to work on & I love the looks of it so much more than the US models.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    In the US - If it was me, I wouldn't consider it. There are too many potential issues depending on the actual (not advertised) status of the car re Federal/state regulations.

To me it's not worth the trouble unless you know the seller personally and that the car is properly registered. Of course it's possible that the car could be OK in the state in which it is currently located but NOT where the buyer lives. Too much stuff to sort out...

6. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I think California is the only place to be concerned. I've never heard of a problem in any other State. Paperwork is important, just in case.

If you have a Euro car that was imported legally, the only real issue might be emissions. Most places older cars (20 to 25 years old) can get "historic" plates, which carries no inspection at all so that isn't an issue either.

Must haves:
    Importation paperwork (DOT/EPA release), valid US title, and had been previously registered in the US.

7. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    I have a Euro and I live in NJ. They do not require emissions as the car is considered a classic. Check your local DMV webiste. I assume you will drive the car less than 5K per year or whatever the limit is on your insurance. You should be fine. If it doesn't work out for make sure it is a red/tan GTS. I have a blue GTB and I wouldn't mind a red one.

8. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have a Euro 308 and have moved around (VA, FL, NC) and have never had a single issue.

9. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Boy...this is my little "soapbox issue". I think Euro cars are FAR superior to their U.S. counterparts. They look MUCH better, drive better, sound better and because they're not choked and strangled by idiotic smog crap, are generally healthier, as well; i.e. don't have a propensity to go up in flames like say catted U.S. carb cars do.

I have a Euro dry sump 308 GTB and its purity of performance is far superior to my 328, or any U.S. 308 QV or carb car I've driven. There is no doubt that Europe simply got a better 308/328 than we did, so if you can get a good Euro car and smogging is not an issue for you...well...it's a no-brainer.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Also wanted to add that some of my cars had all the EPA / DOT papers.......... and not a single buyer cared. i could not believe the number of people who called me from California when i had the Qv, and i had to explain to them why they most likely not be able to have the car in California due to their State regulations. If your State grandfathers older cars, i say go for it.

11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Wazie, not just the cats will cause your roman candle to ignite.

30 year old fuel lines and fuel injector lines will work just fine for starting Pony BBQs.

12. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    I think euro 328s are the best of the bunch! Just IMHO.

BTW, my car came with two mufflers, one with the cats in them, the other is a tubi. I run with the tubi 99% of the time. When it comes to inspection, I can just put the regular on it and it passes without problems. (I don't anymore).

Some other issues with the euro is that some have speedos that were converted to US. Mine had a sticker on the face, others have the entire speedo changed. The mileage on some is not actual.

Also the federalization of the car can have them drilling holes and putting "junk" on the car that may not be up to any standards. A careful inspection and ripping out of that stuff usually will fix the problems.

Ace

13. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    This is an 85QV which now is owned by a dealer. It has previously been licensed in the U.S. I have asked the dealer to produce a DOT/EPA certification and he is looking for it. The speedometer has been converted. Someone raised a good point that the mileage is sometimes not accurate. I live in Florida so emission inspections are not currently an issue, though our current governor has been making noises about reinstating them.

I also would not be surprised to see the EPA produce some nationwide standards one of these days.

BTW...I use Grundy insurance which has very low rates for classics, but does not impose a mileage limit.

I haven't had a Ferrari for a few years and haven't been looking until now, and I have to say I'm surprised that the asking prices seem lower than a couple years ago.

14. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Can anyone advise...is the DOT/EPA certification a document which should be with the car's records, or is it stamped on a plate. This car has been previously licensed in Missouri and Iowa.

15. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a euro QV and wouldn't have it any other way. Better looking, lighter, more powerful, the way they were intended to be without the US add ons. The main thing is will your state allow a euro car? Federalization varied depending on when it came in and who did the conversion. For example my car has US sidemarkers and what appear to be bumper shocks behind the euro bumpers. It also has a US exhaust manifold (sensor holes plugged) with an Ansa muffler. I intend to rectify the exhaust at some point, but the rest is just fine.

16. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Yes, it is a document (a letter actually) that should be with the car's records. There should also be a sticker on the door jamb that states the manufacturer, the person who imported the car, the weight, and the VIN.

17. gt1nick

gt1nick Karting

Jan 25, 2010
    DCA/PBI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    There should be two seperate letters one from DOT and one from EPA allowing the car to be in the country. If you have the VIN you could call up DOT and ask if its allowed to be here...

18. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    There may be two stickers. One in the door and the other somewhere in the engine compartment. I believe you can still get the DOT papers.

Ace

19. pdf308

pdf308 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #19 pdf308, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    I spent a fair amount of time looking at a euro 308 and after extensive research and some help from this board (Thanks BigTex) I found that the car in question was brought into the US by an importer who posted a bond, did not do the certification, the car vanished into the market, the imported went out of business. The DOT records show that the car is in the US illegally and therefore the liability and insurability is very questionable at best. At worst the feds could confiscate the car. I could get it certified for about $3,000 - $4,500 and then it will be DOT legal. EPA was not an issue in my state as the car is exempt because of age. I also realized that the value of the car come resale time would be lower without EPA because I would lose all of the California buyers In the end the numbers did not work. I am still looking and am sure I will find a euro 308 with DOT/EPA.

20. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Thanks,

That's very helpful info. I left a message at DOT (They say they'll call me back.) Perhaps I can get an answer from the horse's mouth when I give them the VIN.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's exactly how it works, they should have records...

Glad I could help you, pardner!

Ya gotta go in "eyes open " if you are going to have it out on the streets.

They have positive traits, don't wreck one.....

22. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I have a Euro 308 GTB that I imported myself. I have no issues with EPA/DOT, DMV, and the annual state inpection. The only paperwork I have is the U.S. Customs stamped papers stating that it's exempt (older than 21/25 years respectively) and everything is fine as far as the U.S goverment is concerned.

If you can find a decent Euro 3x8, buy it! Everything that Wazie has said, particulary if you're looking for that raw-nasty experience, is 100% correct and yes I'm biased :)

23. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Tell us more. When and where did you buy it from? How did you get through the process?

24. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Follow the thread

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228757

As far as the process, it was because of a screw up on the selling dealer that put down my name as the importer instead of a freight forwarder that "forced" me to import the car. Basically I had to give my information to the US Customs, filled out their paperwork, payed the duties and waited for her arrival - probably the coldest day in January.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. DMV was even easier :eek:

25. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Not if the car is a grey market car (brought over by an individual as a personnel possession and not by a dealer or trader). When I brought my euro into NC from NJ, it was a bear to convince DMV it was a euro version and not modified (ie- no emmissions). Once the inspectors reviewed the car they gave me a waiver that indicated it was a grey market euro. At the inspections shop, they weren't going to pass it because all the reference material showed that a '84 308 should have cats, O2 sensors, etc., and there wasn't an exception for a euro or grey market car. Luckily I convinced them to call the DMV inspector who told them that because of its age, it was exempt from emissions requirements. They should just perform a safety inspection and note on the form any diviations from their reference material. It passed the safety w/ flying colors and they simply checked off the 'no' boxes for the emmissions equipment. I would guess it might be a similar situiation in all other states except CA. In CA, they'd prolly impound the car and throw you under a bus.