Is Lambo on the way out..? | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Is Lambo on the way out..?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by roytoy2003, May 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    when it came out then, I wasnt too fond of it simply because it looked a little chubbier along the waist line... I liked the engine though;)

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #302 staatsof, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
    I think that's correct. I believe this exact topic was covered over on VLG recently.

Regarding the Screaming Yellow Zonkermobile. Pontoon air scoops on the rear?
    Maybe it looks better in another color? Like black in a pitch black room.

Yuck.

Bob S.

3. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Funny how this thread turned out to be so wrong. Lamborghini currently makes the prettiest exotic in the world (Aventador) and is following that up with the gorgeous Huracan. I just bought a Balboni and the car feels as fresh and quick as a 458 despite being 5 years old. The Prancing Horse is being left in the dust with California T's and 500,000 dollar f12's that look positively old next to the Aventador. Lambo is now into a racing series and Ferrari gets spanked weekly by Mercedes in F1

LONG LIVE the raging bull!!!

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what have the business numbers been for Lamborghini last 4 years? no doubt they make a beautiful piece of art/machine. I don't think that was ever in question. I also don't think Ferrari has ever tried to be as "outlandish" (word only from a Ferrari guy) as Lamborghini. Ferrari is little less stated, just as high performing, Formula One, and a soulful 60+year extensive history.

I'm a Ferrari guy, but would still like to have a Lamborghini, just like I want a Porsche for other reasons.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Funny, you are probably in the minority to think the G feels as fresh as a 458. Even the new Huracan hasnt really convinced the press to be as entertaining as the now 5 years old 458. The F12 is also seen as a better car than the Aventador (while not as dramatic..).
    Lambo is racing but not really winning in GT where the 458 has been dominant.

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was merely stating that the OP of this thread, worried about Lamborghini viability completely missed (thankfully, and I bet no more so than Roy). I love Ferrari too, but I don't like the last three cars they have come out with (the FF? really?). I think Lambo is leaving them in the dust with their product line in my opinion.

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Spoken like a true Ferrari fanatic. The Balboni 2 WD Gallardo, not the 4WD. Wanted to make that clear. As far as the F12 considered to be better than the Aventador, I haven't read or seen that in ANY publication except maybe Forza (natch).

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Beauty is (very much) in the eye of the beholder!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not fan of FF or California. However, I think Ferrari has nailed it with 458, 599, and now the F12. I like everything about the La Ferrari except the name and price. :)

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No question there Joe, you know what I offered for a high mileage F40 and STILL failed lol!

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    LaFerrar is gorgeous - and as unobtainable to us as a Space Shuttle so what's the point? I still haven't fallen in love with the 458. The last obtainable beautiful Ferrari built was the Challenge stradale 10 years ago!

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Well, that's why im on Ferrari Chat. I love lambos too. Love the Aventador and love the old Lambos..i am actually considering buying an early Diablo next year. Regardless, what i pointed out wasnt my opinion but the general POV of the specialized press.

Ferrari F12 vs. Lamborghini Aventador - Comparison Test - Road & Track

Ferrari F12 vs Aventador vs Vanquish - BBC Top Gear

Even EVO says the F12 is a better car eventhough the journo said he would pick the Aventador as it's more outlandish than the F12.

13. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    In my opinion, currently, Lamborghini outshines Ferrari in the F12 vs. Aventador battle. The Aventador is the best looking car out right now. I have been a true Ferrari Fanatic since the 1970's cars. I always loved the angular wedge shape mid-engine cars from the 1970's Bertone Lotus', Ferrari 365/512 BB, Pininfarina 308, Lamborgini Urraco, Jalpa, Countach, These type of cars have always been super-exotic wall poster cars. The 60's and 1990's to present Ferrari V12's were, and are all Front engine GT's that mostly do not fit the mold that I loved as a kid-pretty, but not exotic enough. I love the Ferrari V8 shapes from the Pininfarina 308/328/348/355. I think mid engine Ferrari V8's lost a bit of their angular exotic beauty with the 360 and 430's. Ferrari regained the angular exotic look with the 458. Lamborghini's have been angular and exotic looking since the Miura to the present. I recently test drove a Huracan and I cannot get out of my head and heart, how much I love that car. I will always keep my F355, but I think my heart is now set on purchasing a new Huracan. I have always loved Lamborghini's, but this time I think they have really won me over. The 458 replacement will be a twin turbo like the Mclarens. The 12C and 650S are extremely easy to drive fast, but they just do not sound as glorious as the Huracan's naturally aspirated V10 that will screams all the way through the 8500 rpm redline and wonderfully gurgles and keeps a permanent smile on your face. The dual clutch transmission is wonderfully paired with the engine and the ANIMA button is much more realistic for real driving situations than the separate performance delivery and suspension adjustments on the Mclarens. I just don't know what color on the Huracan that I prefer.

14. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    "I just don't know what Color on the Huracan that I prefer."

Can I respectfully suggest anything other than red, perhaps?!

15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #315 dmark1, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The better car is the one he'd pick!

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    With the VW group behind it the Lamborghini name will live on for as long as there are cars and continue to get more practical and reliable.

As far as brand, I think Lambo (and Aston, and Porsche) are in different versions of the same rut - their brand styling is so locked down that they all basically look the same.

The Countach was one of a kind. The Gallardo/Murcielago/Aventador/Huaracan are sort of the same prism'ed wedge over a mid-engined chassis. They all look good, but I always check the rear deck badges to confirm which one I'm looking at. And, frankly, they're not exceptionally beautiful cars anymore, in the way the original Countach was. Now they're just for shock value (and the Countach did that better as well).

I don't care for the FF or California, but at least they're distinctive compared to the 458 and the F12 tourer. If I had to spend that kind of cash on a modern car, I would put those last two ahead of any current Lambo offerings.

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am sorry the F12 just looks like a modern Maranello, and the 458 looks like a squashed 360. Neither of them do anything for me.

19. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i like the 458
    to me is the best looking ferrari made after the 355

i am not a huge fan of modern lamborghinis...sorry for this since lambo is my fav brand since EVER

to me the diablo still looks better than the aventador and the murcielago

20. andecorp

andecorp Formula 3

Jun 5, 2005
    Melb
    Everyone of your statements is like you were reading my mind :)

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My issue with Lambo is that they do not seem to have moved on stylistically since the Countach. If you look at every car since, it's just an evolved version of the Countach, very similar to the way the 911 has evolved. Ferrari, on the other hand, have evolved quite significantly to where they have design cues here and there that hearken back to older cars, but if you put anything from the '70's next to anything from today, there is very little resemblance other than the tail lights and perhaps the rear deck on the 458 spider.

Lambo made beautiful and stylistically extremely varied cars until the Countach - the jump from 350/400GT to Miura to Countach wasn't an evolution but a revolution. Then they just stopped and everything became a Countach variant. Disappointing to me, as at least the v8/v10's could have a different design language, but it's all the same thing over and over again. But, I guess if it works for Porsche, why not lambo?

22. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    Agree also. To me the Diablo is the last really Italian Lambo (in spite of Chrysler influence), because after Audi, even though the exotic looks have remained, to me, much of the passion of the design is gone. Great looking cars, but that thing that is hard to put your finger on, that just screams Italian passion, just doesn't seem to be there like it is to me on the Diablo on back into the past, with two peaks of passion with the Miura and Countach.

23. Downdraft1

Downdraft1 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2008
    up to the Diablo, when Lambo was manufacturing different models simultaneously, Countach, LM and Jalpa, or Miura Espada, Islero, each car had it's own design and personality - I have difficulty in distinguishing theye the Murci from the Gallardo at 300 meters. Probably the same with the Avendador and Hurrican IMO.

24. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own both, a Ferrari 458 and a Lamborghini Aventador. I love them both but they are aimed at different markets.

The real comparison Is the Ferrari GTO and the Aventador. I drove both and choose the Aventador.

The Aventador is a great cruiser but the transmission which is a single clutch felt clunky to me. Lamborghini had 4 service campaigns that the dealer alerted me to. The most significant improved the smoothness of the transmission and the way the car feels and handles. It now drives as good as it looks. This does not take away from the 458, it serves a different mission.

I was at Ferrari yesterday and I looked at a Maserati MC. What a great sounding and looking car. I had driven a coupe last year and I was impressed. The one I just looked at was a convertible. I mam seriously thinking about it.

Best

Lee

25. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    When your talking about styling, there's no way it can match the past. Progressive designed in safety has compromised that. In addition, computers have closed the gap on brands. The new Corvette looks as good as many exotics. I love the Aventador, but the technology scares the crap out of me. When the warranty runs out lets see how well these cars hold up in value. Will too much technology finally catch up with an owners willingness to pay for repairs?