Is Lewis Hamilton the greatest of all time, why or why not? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is Lewis Hamilton the greatest of all time, why or why not?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Golden Steed, Feb 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    His assessment was class based. :)

2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    To balance things out ?:p

Giallo 550 likes this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    A "Legend" is not made of numbers of stats and wins, but from something else: "this is the Stuff that Dreams are made of", as they say in the "Maltese Falcon" (1941).
    If a Legend was built on numbers, then Gilles Villeneuve would never have become a Legend.

Rgds

Bas, Jakuzzi and Dino2010 like this.
  4. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I’m talking about 20 races in a season versus six with a high mortality rate and poor reliability.

5. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Is Hamilton the GOAT in F1, impossible to compare across eras. If you were to try and force rank drivers across history then yes he is absolutely in contention for GOAT along with Clark, Fangio, Prost, Senna, Stewart, and even Schumacher. Comparing Schumacher and Hamilton alone? Easy. Hamilton beats Schumacher hands down in large part due to the fact Schumacher, despite being an awesome human away from the car, was a dangerous, unsportsmanlike driver who should have been thrown out of the sport. Also one of his WDC's was in an admittedly illegal car (although I promise we didn't use the hidden traction control we claimed we didn't have!!). While people on this site whine and complain about the cars Hamilton has driven, they ignore the era when FIA stood for Ferrari International Assistance around the turn of the century. Finally, while no one can complain about the drivers Hamilton has had to overcome and beat, I would argue there was less top line competition for Schumacher in the early 00's. I mean other than Schumacher and Hakkinen and possibly Villeneive until he ended up in the crap BAR, who was a real top line driver at that time until Alonso came on the scene? I'm sorry I just can't count Coulthard, Ralf, Rubens, Hill or Herbert as true top top line multi time capable WDC's. Sure there were some great racers at the time any one of whom could have won a WDC or two in the right car. I like and think were underrated, inc. Hill, but true world dominating drivers year after year? Nope.

Terra, Golden Steed and ktu like this.
  6. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah, get a load of Anakin Skywalker over here! :D

jpalmito likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sorry, I'll pass on the one: Joker. Matter of History, herirage of generations; being born where I was born, Germans juggernaut storming over everything still left me with a bitter taste.
    (As my Dad used to say: I shall never, ever buy a german car, it will benefit their industry, and we know what happens to us next. And I have never bought a german car, and will never buy one)
    More seriously: a great driver, a forceful driver, but regarding class, well I do harbor reservations. ..

rgdx

jpalmito and absostone like this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I used to know a retired Navy physicist whom fought against the Japanese in WWII. He bought the first Honda Civic(Silver) when they came out in the late 70's or early 80's (I forget). He got alotta flak from friends whom were anti-Japanese.
    Today, Honda makes cars, SUV's, Pickups, generators, motorcycles, lawnmowers, weedeaters.
    Some vices grow old and are in the past.

absostone likes this.
  9. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Look up the meaning Legend. Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna, along with others fit the bill better than Gilles. I'm not saying Gilles is not a legend.

10. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Thank you for this summary, it was informative. Rules changes, vehicle advantages, eras. Sounds shockingly similar to the Tom Brady arguments.

I'm not going to get into your last paragraph for board rule reasons. Suffice it to say as a Black man who's lived that experience (in America), I largely disagree with a lot of it. Having said that, I still very much appreciate the write up because you took the time to actually explain what was going on rather than just screen punching about how much you hate the question.

I do have a follow up question. I didn't realize the team structure. Hamilton raced for Mercedes. Schumacher for Ferrari. Had I known or recognized that, I may have realized the folly of asking such a question on a Ferrari board. My anti-Brady motives have often been questioned because I'm a Steelers fan.

Is the anti-Hamilton sentiment here, at least in part, driven by the fact that he's not Ferrari (and Schumacher is)?

Giallo 550 likes this.
  11. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    As predicted: the trolls are out in mass again :eek:

12. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Schumacher, Senna and definitely Gilles are legends, forever.
    Hamilton will never be a legend, even if he'd win 20 x WDC. The guy has zero charisma, zeron personality.
    He's just an extremely fast guy in a car, that doesn't qualify for Legend.
    Maybe if he tries another dress? :D

13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Agree Hamilton will never be a legend. He is much greater than legend status. He is eternal. Legend status is for peasants. :)

14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    NO

Dino2010 likes this.
  15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I love how @ktu gets everybody going! It is going to be an interesting 2022 season. :)

gsfent and ktu like this.
  16. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Isn't the point of racing to be extremely fast in a car?

ktu likes this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

yet ANOTHER Hamilton thread ?

Hilarious :D

jpalmito, william and Jakuzzi like this.
  18. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Perhaps, but then again, the other side is always going to criticize, and rightfully so, regarding whatever team whoever is driving for. I was very much aware of Schumacher and Ferrari during those years, but did not begin watching F1 until 2009.

My apologies if I've said anything insulting. The comment regarding those not liking Hamilton for racist reasons was pertaining strictly to here, where I have seen next to no evidence of that motive. Always happy to have a conversation via PM.

Jakuzzi and Golden Steed like this.
  19. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    More great info, and thank you. I loved old Top Gear (the new show is garbage), and they worshiped Schumacher. Which is strange because the boys, being British, HATE the Germans. I had no idea he was a dangerous driver or that he rode an illegal sled. That's interesting. Brady may be escaping Deflategate, but he's still on the hook for winning rings under Spygate.

I saw the Senna documentary years ago, made me a fan of the guy.

We can disagree without being disagreeable. So no worries.

Thanks again for your detailed reply, it gave be a good place to start reading up.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  20. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Sure, but that doesn't make you a legend.
    If a man like Enzo Ferrari says that Villeneuve was like a son to him, that means something, that has weight. Together with his driving style, this will make people still talk about him in 50 years.

21. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I'm not sure I understand your definition of the term "legend". I can't stand Tom Brady or any of what he stands for, but he does own every career passing record of note and has 7 rings. Whether or not I feel he's earned those rings or not, he's still a legend.

7 F1 championships, I think, qualifies one for legend status, even if he had a faster car. I don't know how you gerrymander the definition of "legend" around evidence of that magnitude.

Terra and ktu like this.
  22. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    What up with that Tom Brady?...some don't follow that sport so no clue on who he is

23. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    He's a quarterback in the NFL. He's won the Super Bowl 7 times, which is 2 more than any other player.

The problem is, among other things, there are 22 starting players on each team and 11 positions on defense that Tom does not play. He gets WAY too much credit for the team's success.

There's more to it, but that's the short answer.

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I wouldn't compare the NFL to F1.

The NFL deals on human physicality.

F1 does too(human physicality) to a certain degree BUT it's more about machinery currently and driving race-craft.

Bas and SimCity3 like this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just about every top team had hidden "traction control" software on their car in 1994. It was literally a few lines of code, pointlessly rudimentary.

And the typical Ferrari International Assistance quip...so tired of that old moniker thrown around by butt hurt brits.

ingegnere and jpalmito like this.