Is Musk pushing too far on his promises? | FerrariChat

Is Musk pushing too far on his promises?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, Dec 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I like a strong leader myself, and to me Elon Musk is a lot like Tony Stark, the fictional character.
    But I feel he is pushing the envelope on reality.
    Like his plan for colonizing Mars
    Or the tunnels under cities so cars can commute at 700 mph.
    On the other hand I have seen (on video) two miracles wrought by Musk, I call them such as the accident in Holland
    which the Tesla avoided even though at first glance the car ahead had clear sailing (but hit another car and spun out the Tesla avoiding the accident before it happened.) The second miracle was landing his space ship exhaust side down on a moving barge at sea.

but as an automaker he is way way behind on the Model 3, and yet promising now a electric truck
    and electric sports car.

And never made a dime of profit.

Am I the only one who compares him to the Wizard of Oz, just before Dorothy discovers he's just a little guy with a microphone and big speakers?

2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Musk always over promises, its his way of pushing his people. A quote: "“In order to have a good outcome, we must strive for a great outcome". If you look at his past this has always been the case, the S and the X were both delivered way behind and at lower quantities than he first promised. I certainly wouldn't expect everyone of his ideas to work out, but I think most of them will, eventually.

As for the profit part, Tesla did actually make a profit one quarter. However they are trying to build a capital intensive business, that seems to be lost on many investors in this day of silicon valley and pharma startups where they don't have a significant physical product. It takes a huge amount of capital to build a 6 million sq-ft factory, let alone two of them. And that's not counting the thousands of superchargers and hundreds of service centers. All of this is being built in just a few years whereas every other automaker has built their business up over the course of a century and none own there service centers.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Well, the guy absolutely HAS to be a half bubble off plumb. He's built Tesla from a tiny effort and into a viable car company. AND he started a space company. Any single one of this things is sheer insanity, and he's done them both...at the same time.

So he has some whacky ideas. This is inevitable. And who cares? It's one helluva show.

95spiderman likes this.
  4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Wonder how self driving vehicles will impact racing. Is the computer a better race car driver?

Augmented driving?

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I rather have someone set very high goals as the results can still look good if/when they fall short. Setting goals exactly where you think is probable and then falling short looks bad.

3604u likes this.
  6. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    I personally think he's doing amazing well given all he's trying to accomplish.

Anyone that's trying to even come close to doing what he is doing is going to have a lot of naysayers (I'm not pointing anyone out here, just speaking in general terms).

Yes, he's behind on several things he's promised, but he is working on all of them. I'd say The Boring Company is the most far-fetched one in my opinion, but I do think he should have the opportunity to try and prove whether it's going to work or not - if he and his investors don't care that he's spending money on it, why should I care. It doesn't cost me anything, but could end up benefiting a lot of people in the future.

I also put my $50k down on the new roadster, so that's how much I believe in him. Do I expect to get it in 2020? Nope, but perhaps 2021, and I'm fine with that.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You mean like PDK?

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I personally think he's a flim flam man. Now thats what it takes gets crazy stuff done sometimes.
    All I can speak for is the car division. The only way Tesla will survive is if he out sources production the a true manufacturing company or he will be left in the dust 2 years from now.

:)

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ... now he's talking about building a pickup. Are we going to subsidize that too?

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They're all distractions to mask whats really happening at Tesla

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Musk reminds me of Charles Foster Kane.

When asked how long he can keep his newspaper running while loosing a million dollars a year, Kane replied 99 more years.

I think Musk does stuff because he believes it’s right or its personally exciting to him. I’m not sure that makes him a great investment risk but the world needs dreamers, even when they fail.