Is my maintenance budget ok (612)? Reliability. | FerrariChat

Is my maintenance budget ok (612)? Reliability.

Discussion in '612/599' started by Sunshine1, Sep 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Retiring next year, have owned multiple Maseratis over the years (BMW 750s too), still have a recent Maserati in my garage, the time has come to enjoy life in different ways, which includes buying a few classic cars that I love. One of them is the Citroen SM, the other one possibly a Ferrari 612 or Ferrari California.

2 very different Ferraris but I love each one for different reasons, the final purchase decision to be made based on what my budget can reasonably afford to keep (reliability, maintenance costs, …). I would keep the car for at least 15 years.

I’m a GT guy and I love a Ferrari with 4 seats. Actually the FF is my ultimate dream car but prices after Covid have shot up a lot, now out of my range. The 612 is gorgeous in my opinion, very elegant, luxurious, 4 seats, V12 masterpiece, …

My purchase budget would be up to about $130,000 (I can get a nice 2006 612 at that price for example) and the maintenance budget would be $60,000 for the next 15 years + inflation (money immediately set aside in an investment account when purchasing the car). I would expect to drive 5,000 miles a year over 15 years.

Based on your experiences,

* what is the average annual maintenance cost for a 612?

* what are the issues (mechanical, …) that are likely to surface in the years after buying a 612? And how much money to fix them (current cost)?

Thank you in advance for your answers, as they will help me decide if I can reasonably get a 612.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Try a search on 'buying' in title only to get lots of similar threads to read - my guess is your budget is a little low but you would probably not keep the car for 15 years so maybe an average of $5000 might work (to include tires belt changes and all the things that always double the bill)

3. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you for your answer. I looked at various threads but most of them are old and 612s are now older (potential additional issues).

You mentioned $5,000 a year on average, therefore for example $50,000 for 10 years, or $75,000 over 15 years. This would still be doable.

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I would think if you find a good independent mechanic as opposed to a dealer, your budget will work.

Skidkid likes this.
  5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    A lot of it depends on if you do any work yourself. The $400-$500 oil change is an easy DYI for under $100 if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

6. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about how to service and fix a car, therefore I always need someone to take care of that.

7. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    So far it seems that it would be easier to own a Cali30 than a 612. Not making a decision yet, not giving up on the 612 (V12, 4 real seats, so elegant), waiting to read more comments from the Forum + going to get in touch with independent Ferrari experts in South Florida to see what they have to say.

8. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    You are right, it should be significantly less expensive to use an independent compared to an official dealer. Going to check who are the reputable independents in my region (South Florida). If anyone on the Forum has a name or names to mention in South Florida, please let me know.

9. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    I see in another thread (hose) that you own a 612. How long have you had it? How many miles does she have, how many miles do you drive a year? Would you recommend buying such model, what’s your average cost per year (repairs included)? Thanks.

10. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/612-otorunning-costs-for-25-000-km-in-2021-22.662911/

Most of the answers are in the running costs thread. My 612 was the most expensive one for sale in France when I bought it, but a bargain to me. You can get a much cheaper one and spend the money to bring it up to your standards but you will not be able to enjoy as much while the work is being done.

11. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you for the link, that’s great.

Do you think my budget (to be set aside when purchasing) of $50,000 or $60,000 (+ interests over the years) to maintain/fix it over 10 to 15 years would be enough to reasonably own one?

12. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    First, the 612 is wonderful car. Get one.
    Second, the budget you propose will work as long as you forego paying to extend the warranty (if that option is available on the car you buy).
    Third, FChat is a great resource. Follow the collective wisdom and you will likely avoid too many nasty surprises.
    Fourth, clearly demarcate the cosmetic from the mechanical. You can easily spend 20k on leather dash, headliner, and sticky buttons. Handling the cosmetic issues at the right time and cost is key to keeping your budget whole.
    And finally, drive her more. There are more issues from lack of use than overuse. Putting 10k miles a year on the car should not scare you except for the potential fuel bill if you live where gas is 8-10 usd/gallon (like in europe).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Yes I would not take a warranty for a 2006 612 as it seems (Fchat) that the annual cost multiplied by the number of years is often more than the real amount for repairs (and that’s when the warranty really covers the parts that need fixing).

I live in the United States, no huge taxes on gas here. You are right, driving it often is the best way to maintain it.

I’m enjoying reading your comments about driving 10,000 miles a year (not scary). I guess I would drive 5,000 to 7,000 miles a year. Which means I would sort of daily drive it: that’s the scary part I was focused on when thinking about a 2006 V12 model, would it be reliable driving it almost every day for local trips? Or a few times a year doing a 400-mile round-trip.

I truly love a Ferrari V12 with 4 seats. My ultimate car would have been the FF but prices are out of my range (170,000 instead of my 130,000 budget, but may be prices will go down if there is a mild recession and get closer to my budget).

I sometimes read that the 612 is not pretty, I totally disagree, I find it gorgeous and elegant.

PS: I will be in the middle of France next month, rural areas (and other parts of Europe).

14. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I enjoy my 612 every time I drive it. Don't over think it or your opportunity will pass. Compared to owning a racing car, its a bargain.

15. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ive had my 612 for a bit over 5 years and I've put about 10,000 miles on it. I alternate between the 612 and my F355.

The 612 was a compromise for me. I wanted a V12 and I really wanted the 599 but with already owning a couple of 2 seat Ferrari's (355 & 328), having the back seat made sense as I had a 9 year old at the time. It became the "Family Ferrari" for events and drives. I bought one that needed a few things so there was some initial cost to bring her up to spec. The seller had the clutch replaced as part of the sale ($7,000 at the dealer). From there I've had the blown water hose, replaced the tire pressure senders, a bad thermostat, leaking fuel pump, a battery replacement and new wheel ball joints. There have been a few things but overall she has been very reliable.

My cost of ownership isn't really comparable as I do my own service on almost everything. Annual oil changes (Around $100) and every 2 years on coolant and gear oil (about $80). The blown hose replacement I did myself. Total cost was around $450 for parts (replacement hoses, gaskets, oil change, coolant change and new spark plugs while I was in there) and maybe 15 hours of my time (the first time you do it is a learning experience). This probably would have been a $4,000 job at an independent Ferrari shop and $5,000 at the dealer. I've also did the timing belts, tension bearings and water pump replacement 4 years ago. For me that was around $900 at on the cost plus my time. The fuel pumps were a pain to get to but otherwise a simple job that ran around $650 for both replaced.

In total, I'm in for around $6,000 in 5 years. $2,000 was the initial outlay for the immediate corrections when I bought her (headlight switch and tool kit) then $4,000 in parts over the 5 years. Had I had this all done at a shop, this probably would have been about $18-$20,000. A full set of tires are next by the end of the year as well as removing the dash to correct some shrinking leather. I also have a nagging issue with my tire pressure not reading correctly. I suspect that I will be replacing the ECU.

bay likes this.
  16. LarryBrophy

LarryBrophy Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Ireland
    I've owned a 612 for the last 3 year and have a great independent mechanic that takes care of it. Annual service is under a USD1000. Cambelt service is USD1500 with him but that will be every 5 years as I only do 3000 miles a year. I always have a bit of extra money put aside for unexpected issues, like my AC compressor that now needs to be replaced. Also a new set of tyres next year will be needed, USD1600.

I love it, for a big car it's balance is amazing and so comfortable to drive.

17. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you all for your posts and comments, I appreciate it!

Update: I’m now leaning heavily toward the purchase of a Cali30 (younger, easier maintenance, …) or a FF.

Why the FF, which was previously not on my list? Because I’m in love with a V12 Ferrari with 4 real seats (my ultimate dream). But most importantly because prices for 2012-2013 models are starting to go down a bit and may continue going a bit lower in the coming months (economy, …). The FF is younger than the 612, is gorgeous and elegant (like the 612, in a different way), is easier to maintain (including clutch/gearbox, …), has a 4-wheel drive system, is described by owners as true daily-driver, etc…

My purchase budget is $130,000 but if a good FF (PPI, records) comes around $150,000 I could buy it (my wife says that $20,000 would not change anything in our lives and she is very supportive :cool:).

At last, knowing that a good 612 is around $130,000 for 2006 models (F dealers), $150,000 for an FF would make a lot of sense (not a big difference in price but a big difference in what one gets).