Is Rickie Fowler the next Sergio Garcia? | FerrariChat

Is Rickie Fowler the next Sergio Garcia?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TeamF1Jr, Mar 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Before his Master's victory, Sergio to me was the type of guy that was ok with top 20's, top 10's. A guy who that as long as the check kept fuel in the private jet he was ok, he was comfortable.

I guess you can argue Rickie Fowler perhaps is worse than Sergio. Rickie will be 30 this year with 4 PGA tour wins (he has 4 more in other tours). Sergio at age 38 has 10 PGA tour wins and 23 victories on other tours.

Rickie sure has a lot of sponsors, a lot of commercials, a big fan following and the hot girlfriend, but I'm seeing a lot of smoke and mirrors. Winning is not easy on today's PGA Tour, but this guy doesn't deserve the hype.

2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You could say that about a lot of guys (and gals) in a lot of different sports, but yes, I agree with you about Rickie.
    A nice gig if you can get it.
    Whether he deserves the hype or not is not really worth the discussion, lest we get into Danica Patrick.. ;)

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Rickie will break your heart. I had a wager on him in U.S. Open last year, torched his first round then melted away. Masters coming up in a month...the course does not suit Rickie's game.

4. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    PS - IIRC, Sergio came in at exactly the same time as Tiger, one did well,
    the other could not seem to conquer the mental pressure, probably put upon
    by himself rather than others. IMO of course.

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    When Sergio came on the scene every said he would be the next great one. He chokes plain and simple.

6. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I think he turned himself into a mental wreck.
    He was ALWAYS compared to Tiger, since they both turned pro at about the same time,
    and when he consistently could not win, or even perform well, he put more pressure on himself.
    Eventually he cracked.

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I won a big bet (35-1) on Sergio last year's Masters. The guy had been within one putt a couple of times for a major win. Sergio had his heart crushed by women more than once (Greg Norman's daughter just about did him in). When his personal life got squared away, he won. I'm not arguing that his talent did not translate into bigger wins...he himself expressed doubt about his compete level, but this guy has been an elite competitor for twenty years on an international stage. Don't forget, he also had an entire country's expectations riding on his shoulders...not to mention worldwide press coverage touting him as "THE NEXT SEVE" from the time he was 16 years old. A lot to handle. I'm riding him in this year's Masters as well.