Is Russell the fastest driver in F1? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Is Russell the fastest driver in F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wass85, Aug 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrShades

MrShades Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Claus Roger Schjerverud
    This weekends race at Spa should have been canceled and rather been driven later or no point awarded
    2 laps behind the safety car is not not a race or a well earned podium for no driver in my mind..
    They awarded podiums and points not for racing and then i guess Max will not call himself a race winner

When it comes to Hamilton he have had a great career in Formula1 except for one thing. He have always been in the best car in the whole field

When Michael Schumacher came to Ferrari they was far from a top team but Schumi built up the team around himself and made it a winning team (with good help from Ross Brown,Jean Todt and others)
    If Schumacher had been in the best car his whole career he would have had many more championships

So that is why i think you can not at all compare Hamilton to Schumacher.

Mika Hakkinens first years in McLaren with a Peugeot engine was not the best either but with Mercedes he won 2 championships

Who knows how many more championships Ayerton Senna would have ad had it not been for his fatal accident

So what i am trying to say is that it is not easy to compare Formula 1 drivers and that makes it fun to watch

I have spoken about Formula 3 here on the forum and everybody have the same car and engine so it is all up to the driver
    Not that i want that in Formula 1

I also watched last years Formula 3 season and there was so many crashes all the time but this year the young guns in Formula 3 have behaved so mature that they have had less crashes than Formula 1.. And they also managed to race at Spa on sunday

Remy Zero likes this.
  2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I agree with most of what you have stated, except it is not factual that Hamilton has been in the best car throughout his career. Ferrari won the WDC his first year and the WCC the year he won the WDC (2008). Brawn was the best car in 2009 (by far the best before summer break) and then Red Bull had the best car 2010-2013. In that time, Hamilton won 1 wdc and compiled 22 wins (which only Vettel, Raikkonen and Alonso have bettered on the current grid).

Merc has been the car to have from 2014-2020…

Terra, DF1 and william like this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A simple spreadsheet can convert finish positions in every race to team and driver points in any points system one wants to employ (even those systems that do not exist). For some systems one also need to know the fastest lap for get a definitive answer.

So, it is (IS) possible to compare Lewis in the 25-18-15... system with Schumacher in the 10-6-4... system with Fangio in the 8-6-4...system.

Others here say it is impossible to compare for physics reasons (driving 1 Gs cars being compared to driving 4 Gs cars); but numerically, it is easy to get the numbers. Arguing if the numbers are comparable will continue ad infinitum.

Terra and lorenzobandini like this.
  4. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Astonishing that he could challenge a RB like he did, the lad is one special talent.

Verstappen has today spoken about the possibility of Russell partnering Hamilton and predicted he's going to cause big, big problems for the GOAT.

Bas likes this.
  5. Yaddi, yaddi, yaddi.

It was Jim.

william likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It goes way beyond simply putting numbers in a spreadsheet and declare a ''winner'' regarding points systems.

It's easy to say that Schumacher and Lewis both had dominant cars for (for arguments sake lets make it equal) 3 seasons, and based on that Lewis has more wins and poies (again, just making things up on the spot here). Therefore he must be the better driver. What it doesn't take into account is more races for different seasons, different qualifying systems (for example back in Schumachers era there was 12 lap qualifying, single lap qualifying, qualifying starting on race fuel and so on...so the fastest driver/car didn't always get pole especially with the last factor taken into account).

There are simply too many factors to make a definitive claim about who is the best and opinions are largely based about who prefers which driver (like it or not). The difference in pure pace between absolute top drivers is negligible. This goes for Schuacher, lewis, Max, Alonso, Senna, Prost...the lot. I think the truly great make more of a difference in less than perfect cars, or hard to drive cars. What Schumacher, Alonso, Max have done with some of their cars on a near weekly basis is truly incredible.

ricksb and william like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Actually, when you convert from one points system to another, you actually change who got WDC and WCC in years where it was close.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do you have them on hand? Would be interesting to see who would win what on which points system.

9. MrShades

MrShades Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Claus Roger Schjerverud
    When i said that Hamilton have always been in the best car in the whole field i totally forgot about the year when Brawn GP had the dominant car.
    But i really do not think that the Ferrari was any faster than the McLaren

I have just been watching practice 1 and 2 in Formula 1 and i have also watched the qualifying in Formula 3 :) :)
    And could have written yesterday that Dennins Hauger would take pole position today and off course he did :) :)

I would never have thought that i could find Formula 3 so entertaining as i do.. It is really great fun to watch [​IMG][​IMG]:)[​IMG]

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's up to you if you don't accept the 2008 WCC result, but Ferrari won it that year.

But you also forgot the 4 years when Red Bull had the best car, witness their 4 WCCs !

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It seems that you really want to promote your compatriot here, but this is the F1 forum.

Shouldn't F3 be discussed the OTHER RACING forum ?

Just a thought ...

12. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Mercedes need Russell in that sister car ASAP to lead the team and take the fight to Verstappen.

Hamilton is fighting life and death to stay within 2 tenths of a very average Bottas FFS, there's levels and there's levels to this game.

13. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    With both Williams quite Easley into Q2 yesterday, before they both flew off the track it seems like the progression forward is not only due to Russel being really good. The car seems not to be the slowest any more.
    Good for Williams.

375+ and Bas like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree, they made a big jump forward in the summer break. Very happy to finally see them gone from that awful rut they where in

RobertJRB and 375+ like this.
  15. #165 lorenzobandini, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    This Easley have something to do with it's "resurgence"? ('never heard of him/her before.)

Besides, 16th and 17th, 2 and 3 laps down doesn't sound like "out of a rut" to me.....

16. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    LOL

17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No love for Mazespin?

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    He is fast. Did some amazing job with the Williams, and almost won a race using smaller racing boots

20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Checo also has financial backing as well.

Flavio_C likes this.
  21. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Russell is an idiot.

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    ?????.......care to explain??

23. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    The way he celebrated his 2nd place in that challenging 'race' at Spa said enough.
    He should be ashamed. For a rookie with his talent, he should have made a statement by not appearing on the podium.
    But he is the perfect product for FIA, so why would he act against them?
    Back in the days, Piquet or Villeneuve, even Mansell would have done differently. Guys with balls.
    F1 got rid of their cojones.

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Okay, I get the Spa ordeal but that doesn't make him on idiot though.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  25. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    The point is nobody, absolutely nobody, is protesting against the FIA mess we're getting over us. Celebrating there as if he rode the race of his life was revolting.