is safe to run your F Only one time in a month? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

is safe to run your F Only one time in a month?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by leopoldo, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Careful. Might need plastic covers on the seats and flooring for those late night patrons.]

Although... "Uber driver only accepts fares from hot coeds. Video recording in car for safety." ;)

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You are seriously equating someone criticizing not driving an F car to not caring about dying people?

Wow. A new one for Fchat!

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I have another idea: UberF

What you can do is find a Ferrari nearby you and they can pick you up and drive you around in it. This way, you can keep yours in the garage.

Problem solved!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That would be awesome. I'd subscribe right away!
    :)
    T

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    What is the fun of bragging about a low mileage car? Drive it !!!

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Europoe needs a dose of reality before it all augers in.. Misplaced and idealistic notions of what constitutes real kindness is what caused the problem in the first place.

Yeah things can get said in nice way, provided they truly are said.

Back tot he OP, I sense amongst enthuisiasts here a disdain for someone who will not drive a car because its an "investment" such an attitude is an affront to the car community. Its also indicvative of the coming fall in car prices onve "investors" bail out> One of the many things investors don't realize is cars cannot just be parked like a painting or gold bar,.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Cool idea! A specific segment for exotics..

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As I have posted on another popular motoring website concerning people who do not drive their cars for fear of devaluing them:

"I simply cannot fathom the thinking of any car enthusiast who buys a classic car to then never drive it because because they are worried about devaluing it!

To My mind, they're not car enthusiasts - They're money enthusiasts who are really only interested in making money and use cars as their commodity of choice!

It's much the same with collectors of vintage wines who will never drink the wine (these people really make Me laugh! They'll pay hundreds of thousands of pounds or Dollars [or even Millions!] for a rare bottle of wine, never to drink it, but for all they know, they may well have paid a fortune for what is now a bottle of bad tasting vinegar! Because they'll never drink it they'll never know!), or art collectors who will never display a painting but store it in a locked vault the whole time that they own it instead.

When these things were created, they were created for a reason:

Wine was made to be drunk!
    Paintings were made to be seen and admired!
    Cars were made to be driven!

A wine that is never drunk, a painting that is never seen, or a car that is never driven is to Me, missing the point of them and a bit of a waste really!"

As for all the World politics talk in this thread: If you want to discuss which Country is in a worse state than another, subscribe to the site and take it to the proper section: Politics & Religion (not for the faint of heart)

9. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I have a friend that owns a very nice car museum. Him and me get great enjoyment walking around it, discussing the cars and this while drinking.

Cars can also be enjoyed in a platonic way.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's unfortunate but at some point we turned from "Ferrari Enthusiasts" to "Ferrari investors"

11. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    For me the enjoyment is number one priority. If the car gains in value - a nice bonus!

12. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That perfectly meets the needs of the "drive them!" and "keep mileage low" crowds. A decision worthy of King Solomon. <golf clap>

13. Alex Matilda

Alex Matilda Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    As a surgeon, I can relate to some of the comments on this thread.
    Being in practice for more than a decade now, I now know for a fact that I, my wife or my 2 daughters can die tomorrow, next week or next month for any ?!"?&? disease possible.
    Ferrari was always a dream for me and will always be.
    To the OP, I don't know if next year I will be here (neither do you). So if you enjoy driving your Ferrari just a little bit, do it ! Once family is fed and has a roof, money should be spent to improve your well being, not to be kept in a vault.
    We always take for granted our life and our health : that's the biggest mistake a lot of people do, sadly.

Cheers

Alex

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another terrific post

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    This!! Well said and it's true, anything can happen to anyone at any given time.

I always tell my friends to enjoy themselves and if they want to buy something to just buy it.

You only live once and in 30 years time it won't matter that they bought a Ferrari or spent too much money on clothes or whatever.

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I suspect that MOST people rarely drive their ferraris. Thats hardly unusual.

The more succesful you are, the less time you have, and the more cars you likely own.

With many of the insurance restrictions, and fear of damage, its not like you will be driving to work or the super market.

I have 5 or so non daily driver cars. With some luck, and nice weather, I can drive one of them any given weekend. So each car might be driven every 5 weeks or so. Some more, some less. And lets not forget winter.

My neighbors own dozens of cars, are very succesful, and own some of the 1mm+ ferrari's. How often do you think those cars are drive? Its simple logistics.

I don't think most of us are intentionally "saving our cars as an investment for the next guy." There simply isn't enough time to drive them.

And if I am taking my 3 kids for an ice cream, or to play golf... I am not taking the testarossa/porsches. Its the toyota that gets picked...

Bo

18. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    We used to use our Porsche ( 996, 993, 997) for our holidays in Europe. Had to stop when our son could not keep his head straight in the back seat ( seat? no, bench!)

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think you are all nuts.

you like the car, you buy the car, then drive the car.

if you are obsessed about maintaining value, then you need to keep it in optimum condition - which is not achieved by not driving it. it is achieved by driving it and enjoying it, and following the correct maintenance procedures as prescribed by the dealer. this is a small production car that did not get fully vetted prior to being sold to you, and the only way of making it actually run correctly is by driving it and figuring out what is faulty and repairing it or asking us here on fchat.

and if you are not prepared to listen to those of us who have a little experience in this domain, then just look at the auction results. nobody cares about the mileage on an swb, a daytona, and lately not even much on boxers or testarossas. i can assure you that in 20 years when your 430 is still one of the 16000 of that model roaming the earth, nobody will care whether you have 5k 15k or 30k on the clock. all they will care about is the condition.
    and condition actually can be improved by driving it.

20. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    This ^^^^^

You have so much time on the planet and so many days to drive the cars you supposedly love. So I say this to all of you ..........get off your butt and go drive the damn thing !!!

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #71 PAP 348, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Some people actually have the ability to live in two places during the year. I spend half of my year in another state and I have no intention of driving or transporting my car there to sit in an open garage in salt air. It is safe and great in my big garage at my main house. But it will only get driven once a month when either my husband or I return here to check on things. Everyone has different reasons for not driving their cars for lengths of time and not all of them have to do with devaluing the car. I couldn't care less about that.

Thanks to those who provided good information, as now I have a couple things on my list to do that I didn't before I leave this month.

23. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Open garage, salt air.
    Jana, you need a LR Defender!

24. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    That would be awesome! We are thinking of buying something to leave there. Have to haul the boat down there this year, so we have to drive existing, but we'll probably look around while we're there. :)

25. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    The best way is to have one built to your spec in UK. I believe the VIN plate has to be of an old vehicle.

If properly specced it can safely be driven once a month. Or once every year if it is on a battery maintainer!