is safe to run your F Only one time in a month? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

is safe to run your F Only one time in a month?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by leopoldo, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014

Agreed. Using something for a purpose it wasn't intended for is a perversion.

2. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Ross - just became my hero for the day!!

PDG
    85 308 GTS QV - 80K miles and counting!!!

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Indeed. They are not investments. No matter what story these clowns keep trying to spin at the auctions and broker houses. Drive them, enjoy them. If somebody shows up at your door with way too much money and wants to buy it for 2x it's value, let them knock themselves out. Turn around and buy another. That's my mindset.

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I know several collectors that get their pleasure from owning certain cars and for various reasons do not drive them at all.. so who are we to tell the op how to own the car.. BUt in answer to the question asked .If you are going to start the car you need to drive it atleast enough to warm it up . I believe if the car is properly prepared and stored then no need to start them at all.. for long periods of time..
    hope this helps..

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  6. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I think OP should drive the car and not just start it/warm it.
    he can take the miles off the odo my driving it home backward.

7. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Bah is the idea is to sell it in 20 years time with ridiculously low mileage and an intended big premium over cars that got used, I would not even worry about starting the car once a month. I would only worry about keeping it in an environment with right humidity level and temperature. Let the new owner deal with all cracked hoses, rubbers etc etc.

There are some cars out there on sale with minimal mileage. They need an extensive service where all pieces of rubber etc get renewed but that it.

Just starting the car achieves nothing much I think. You need to use of gears, use the brakes get the suspension to work etc etc. So we're looking at 10-20 miles a months minimum. But if the idea is to get an ultra low mileage car, this defeats the purpose.

Obviously I personally share the view that cars may not be the best pure financial investments. They only make sense when they are driven too. F50 initially sold for about USD 570K. Today, 20 years later, they are worth USD 1.8mil ? I can think of a number of much better performing assets. Obviously if for 20 years you enjoyed it regularly then F50 make a lot of sense.

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    OP didn't give a pile of details, but it sounds like he is driving his second Ferrari regularly and this one sits more. Sounds reasonable to me. Sometimes I drive other cars and the Ferrari sits for long periods, sometimes I drive the Ferrari and the other cars sit.

I'm in the camp of not starting it unless it will be driven and warmed up.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the other thing to do is get at least one car per day of the week - or maybe month....then you can regularly use everything, but not put excessive mileage on any one car.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I live in a climate that negates driving for 7 months of the year. Nothing wrong with not using the car, provided it is properly prepped for storage, stored properly, and maintained/serviced annualy as a matter of course.

From my knowledge, starting and not driving a car repetitively is probably the single worst thing you can do. Well maybe not warming it up and hammering it is worse, but its a close call.

As to drivign sporadicaly, using the car once per month is fine, provided its properly warmed and then run a distance as designed.

When living out of the country my car has sat for as long as 14 months, properly prepped and stored, never had an issue.

11. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    That's great! Thanks for the info. We've talked with the dealership about the things to do to keep it stored well while we're gone. My husband will be in town every month. He will be giving all the cars a workout to make sure they're all good.

12. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I agree, being in the Army I've stored different vehicles for months to over a year. No flat spots on any tire, even low profile tires. I over inflate the tires a little, change the oil, thoroughly clean her, use Stabil in the gas; and for long term I used a baking soda odor absorber.

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    For whatever reason mine has been in the garage a lot lately. I've driven it once in 2 months.

I took it out this morning for a 25 min drive. I usually try to drive it at least every other week for reasons already mentioned here.