Is the 612 so ugly? | FerrariChat

Is the 612 so ugly?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Garretto, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I wasn't a member of Ferrarichat when previous models were released... So I am wondering if the "welcome" and all the chit chat about the looks and design of the previous models did generate as much controversy as the 612 is doing.

So was this the same for every new model or the 612 is simply one of the worst designs of pininfarina, according to the general thinking of most Fchatters???

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes. When the Enzo was introduced , we all thought it was.."ugly" (sorry ! ) , then for most of us ( ? ) we warmed up and now i think a good lot find it amazing , esp after seing it in the flesh.

The thing is that Ferrari Spa sucks at taking media pics ...esp their first set !!

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wouldn't call it ugly - The exterior just seems a little boring and un-inspired maybe.

4. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    It also makes a big difference with the outside color. I have yet to see a Ferrari 2+2 look good in anything but very dark colors and silver/grey.

I haven't see a good looking 2+2 in red, dark or light colored.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Its an improvement over the 456.

However, it goes deeper than opposing "four seater" Ferrari's. They have a pathetic amount of room in the back and are no better than two seater GTs from other marques. So, why build it if sales of the 456 have been pathetic? Some may think of it like I do, a stroke of marketing stupidity.

Its hard to like a Ferrari thats neither sports car or grand tourer for four unless you have little ones or passengers without legs.

Its hard to like a 612 over a 550/575. Its hard to like a 612 over any of the 360s that has to have compromised styling with little purpose.

Sunny

6. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** Quite a few Ferraris are ugly in photos and beautiful in the flesh. I will draw conclusions when I see one of these cars up close. Remember when the Testarossa was introduced and Ferraristi thought the thing was butt ugly? Made the 512BB look better. They have so many angles that a camera can't do it justice.
    I couldn't stand the sight of the Enzo when I first saw the photos. In person it is a very interesting looking car.

7. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Sorry, but I like the 612...I think it's the best looking 2+2 since the 365 GTC/4. I do wish they hadn't put the grin on the front, but I still like the overall car.

and I think the Jaguar XJ6 is one of the best looking sedans ever built!

8. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

"The Pininfarina body looked rather dull in early pictures, but in steel it's a subtle design that grows on you."

Guess where that's from...

1972 Road & Track review of the 365 GTC4

This seems to happen with every Ferrari. I don't think it's their inability to take pictures...it's just that PF's designs are too complex/"subtle" to show properly in 2D.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ugly? No. Bland, boring, dull, uninspired? YES!.

10. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I like the 612 but I just find the previous Ferrari 2+2 models were nicer.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think it looks good, perhaps not as good as the 456, but good nonetheless.

You are seeing a combination of two things:

1) Ferrari enthusiasts always dislike new styling. Hell, there are people on this site who complain about the looks of the 360 and want to go back to the sharp edges and cheese graters of the 80s cars. For that matter, there are people on this site who insist that it's not a "Ferrari" unless it has a V12.

2) There is a general bias against Ferrari 2+2s. I don't agree, personally, but then I own 2 of them.

When the 575 replacement is introduced, assuming it is a significant change, I predict there will be many postings complaining that it's ugly, "doesn't look like a Ferrari," (which, around here, means it doesn't resemble a TR or 308 closely enough), is boring, etc.

12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I see we're getting closer to the point :)

For example: I'd like those who think the 360 is by far a worse design than the F355 to show up and tell us what they thought of the F355 at first... surely they though more or less like me: "WTF did they do with the beautiful lines of the 348??? Looks like a ricer!!!"

I think it is inherent to every new model... the more "involved" you are with ferrari styling, the uglier you think new designs are. I was just a kid not yet interested in ferraris when the TR was introduced, but I guess it was surely a shock for all the fans.

PS: I agree the first ever Enzo pic from ferrari really sucked...

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I thought the F355 was the second* or third most beautiful car ever manufactured at first sight. It was immediately obvious to me that Pinninfarina had done a marvelous job at exiting the cheese grater 1980s and finally entered the modern era. An interior that was functionial, beautiful, and up to the cost structure of the whole vehicle.

The F348 just did not have the panauche nor was it especially beautiful (unlike the F355). I could overlook the 1980s cheese grater look, but the interior just wasn't with the program. Worse still is that it is so easy to see a 348 and think TestaRossa.

I do not think the 360 is a worse design** but it lacks the shape that reaches down into your soul like the F355 does. Its too tall and does not stand out in a croud like a F355 does (unmistakable), in addition, the nose is just wrong (even if functional). Give me back the 'smile' grills of yesterday.

* Muira first, and Mangusta second or third.

** design is a much bigger thing than the looks of the car.

14. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Overheard at the North American International Auto Show. A 'name' designer talking to one of his co-workers about the 612:

Designer: "Why the hell did they do that? Any designer know that won't work!"

Co-worker: "What are you talking about?"

Designer: "That concave section behind the front wheels. Everyone knows that the way the light hits causes the paint in that area to look awful. It makes it look like you have a problem with orange peel and there's nothing you can do about it."

FWIW, I've read a few posts on Ferrari-Chat that comment on the poor paint on the car displayed at the show.

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    LOL - We agree almost word for word Allan - Nice! :)

16. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The 612 sucks!

An F-Chatter posted a picture of a car that he drew that resembled a modern Testarossa a while back. If Ferrari built a car that looked like that with a mid-engine 12 I would beg borrow or steal to buy one. I would rather buy four or five cars that look better and that would be far more reliable for the same amount of money before I would buy a 612.

I predict that Ferrari is going to drop in sales in the future the way they are going.

DrewH

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    not many have seen it, even though i find the rear end in pics uninspiring, I must say that real life is the key. I remember when the 360 first came out, ppl said "its not as good as the 355" and some still believe that, but those awkward frontal intakes are now gorgeous no? enzo ditto, but because you appreciate the function of it all, not sheer beauty, and lastly, imho, the 456 is better looking than the 612, should have done an extensive update on that classic style.

18. prova

prova Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Gonzo
    I think it's allways the same for each new model... at the begining it seems a bit strange but when you see it closer you find it beautful...
    I think it comes from the very (maybe too much :) ) innovating italian design.

19. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    The problem I have with the 612 is it doesn't have that real true sports car look. It does carry the Ferrari name as well as engine but I don't think a customer looking for a Ferrari that carries four really isn't looking at all his options. However since I love Ferrari's I'd buy one for my wife/girlfriend just so she could have one to drive. It seems to be the "mom's Ferrari" if you ask me.

20. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    It's not supposed to have a sports car look. It's a GT. It's mission is understated, high speed, long distance travel in comfort. Ferrari's been building cars like this since almost the beginning.

A buyer for this car most likely HAD looked at the other options. It comes down to wanting a car in this category built by Ferrari and have all the attributes of the marque (the sound, performance, looks, and probably smell).

21. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I remember the early days of FChat after the 360 had already been released. Lot's of people didn't like it because it didn't have the "classic" Ferrari grill in front with the Cavallino. Many have changed their minds about the 360 since then and others still don't like the look... kind of sounds like the 612, eh? So to answer your question, I'd say yes.

22. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Edit: Oops, double-post.

23. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    When the 348 came out took me a while to like it. Then i began to prefer it over the 328.

Same when the 355 came out. Hated it. After a while got to like it over the 348.

Still prefer the 355 over the 360, but the 360 does make the 355 look very dated. Begining to like the 360 now.

Same with the 2+2s. I think it has a lot to do with the pictures are taken. In the pics the 612 looks aweful. But having now seen a video of it it looks amazing. Same with the Enzo, 550, etc etc...

24. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I am a real 2+2 fan. I like all of them. But this car is the first Ferrari that I really liked the blue press photos and have hated every other picture I have seen. The more I see this car the less I like it. I am sure in person it will be different and I will grow to like it, but for the time being the original 456 GT (not the 'M') is one of the most beautiful modern cars and is tied with the 550 Maranello as my favorite post 1988 Ferrari.

For the record I absolutely loved the 355 the first time I saw one, but I think the 308 QV GTS is the best looking entry level V8 Ferrari ever made.

25. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    When the 456 first came out, I liked it. Still do.

When the 612 was first shown, I didn't like it. Still don't.

The problem I have with it is that the wheelbase is too long in relation to the car, so instead of having a nice pointy nose like the 456, it looks like it's been driven into a wall and the front wheels have been pushed forward about 12 inches by the impact. (Or maybe they designed it that way to get around the crash testing regs..).

I think generally cars with shorter wheelbases tend to look better (think SWB, think DB4 GT etc etc) than 'long' cars.

...and on that subject, may I also say that however bad the 612 looks, the Merc SLR looks ten times worse. It looks like they took the Batmobile and resprayed it silver...!!!

OK, end of rant.

John