is the bubble due to burst? | Page 113 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have found boxerman's and sherpa23's comments always insightful in this and other threads and they both make valid points.

My general perception is that there is not yet any "panic" in the classic car market where values are plunging by a statistical standard deviation or more. What we seem to be seeing now is "noise" and seasonal variation rather than major trend changes.

One interesting corollary might be the Manheim Used Car Value Index for ordinary vehicles in the general public (also where there doesn't appear to be any panic yet). I call your attention to the Manheim graph (link below) particularly since 2008 and the recent trend and sub-trends since 2013 that seems to generally replicate what we've been seeing in the classic car market over the same time period.

Manheim Graph: https://www.manheim.com/content_images/content/ManheimUsedVehicleValueIndex-LineGraph0916.jpg

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I can tell you this.

The economy is extremely slow right now. Many of my wifes friends pay is being cut nearly in half and still have to keep the same hours.

I know my vendors are hungry for work.

I know the large dealers I deal with aren't getting as many trades which means that there are less transactions... which means I have less transactions.

From my local perspective (Arizona and California) this **** is grinding to a hault.

That being said... I am hoping people are just stalling until the election and once that **** is figured out everything will proceed and we might even see a spike in activity sort of a pent up demand. Should be a good time for buyers. Many sellers will continue to lower there prices because they want to move inventory and then after the election hopefully people start cracking open the wallet. I don't think it will matter who wins (I am not trying to insert a political debate) I think people will just want it decided and have a known. This up in the air **** scares people from spending in my opinion

3. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Justin, I am willing to bet you're not in the healthcare business. Most of the private sector is creaking under a myriad of ever changing and increased amounts of taxes and regulations. While bad and something that should be fixed, and quick, it is limited to only one group of car buyers.

4. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I am buying one now...you can't wait when the good cars come up.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    2 95 M3 LTW just sold for well over 100k this week - and an e30 m3 is about to go for 150k... the buyers are ferrari guys

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You are correct I am not.

What one group of car buyers are you referring to? (excuse me, I am a bit lost)

In my experience of those around me, the lower pay etc... is actually across many industries, however I will qualify it to people being in Arizona and Southern California.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is this a special M3? I can buy 95 M3s for less than $15k all day long.

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's a Lightweight. Google it. It's the best incarnation of that car. The only downside is that in the US, we didn't get the super sweet motor. Still, it's awesome.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    it has some stickers, wing in the trunk. i think air cond could be deleted. some strut braces and free floating front rotors.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not a buyer at $100k. I can strip, stick, wing, brace, float for a lot less than $100K. :)

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Have watched this market closely. The standard .2 GT3s were $120k when the "gotta have a manual" frenzy kicked in......they shot up to $160k.

The second Porsche announced they were back in the manual transmission business with the GT4 and 911R, prices went back to the previous levels

Carrera GTs are down, and I'm told the 993TTs (when I inquired on Rennlist because I'm considering one) are also trending down EXCEPT for the ultra low mileage cars.

On the Lamborghini front, the regular Countach has also taken a hit.

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Why is that 911TT estimate so high at the upcoming Auction America Hilton Head?
    http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?Order=runorder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=&SaleCode=HH16&ID=r0120

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    It is an "S" model.....which is on a different plane than a production 993TT, which is all I could hope to get.

I was on Rennlist asking if a solid driver could be had for $100k these days, and the consensus was yes for 70-100k mile cars and they provided a few examples. They said this was down $30k from prices 9-12 months ago.

14. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    There are 8 Countaches now on Ebay, there never has been so many, anyone that pays full price now either doesn't respect money, or doesn't care if he loses half value in a few years maybe they have a year or less to live. Old saying a fool and his money soon part.

I love the gotta buy now before they get out of reach post thinking, classic Tulips lol.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    8 isnt alot - ive seen over a dozen. not all adds are real fwiw. your attitude is a sad one. to come on a ferrari board and call people fools is odd. when was this thread started btw? were people who bought then fools? if someone has enough money and enough heart to buy something today maybe its not them who are the fools?

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and by the way if you bought cars in 2009 and 2010 and paid asking price you were a fool also - maybe you cant win?

17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Pay no attention, same story of talking car up when owned or selling and down when wanting to buy.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeah i just went through some of his historical posts - seemed to be arguing with himself at a certain point.

19. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #2819 petearron, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    What do you care what I post? Cause I might stop someone from being a sucker?

I don't know what Ebay you have been looking at but I have watched it since early 2000s and maybe 1 or 2 Countaches for sale there every so often usually an Anniversary never a 5000QV or LP400, since values have falling and buyers are dropping no takers at these high prices, the cars there now should have sold months ago if these prices are realistic.

I always win most of the time, speak for yourself

20. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Your the one that had the so called mechanic waste my time on my Boxer all day that you think knows a lot about them calling my car a parts car, always stalking every post I make saying values are way too high Lol.

21. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Plenty of posts about your former car on this forum. I don't need rehash that. One can simply check your history and come to their own conclusion on your intent on this forum. That's the last I'll say about it. Anything further would be a waste of time and redundant.

22. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    The same goes for you, check your history with a clear agenda defending these high prices, those that disagree have sour grapes etc Lol, the majority here of smart informed members have already posted that prices are over inflated and will fall just a matter of time, a few with agendas defend the prices and chant they will continue up for there own reasons.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ur awesome

24. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Thanks Lol

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Just a friendly word to the wise: I don't think that you want to pick a fight with cnpapa24 or TTF because it's absolutely destroying any shred of credibility that you might still have. Cnpapa has one of the nicest car collections of classics anywhere. That's obviously not by accident. He knows how to research and buy incredibly nice cars. Similarly, TTforcefed has a pretty significant collection himself. They know what they're talking about and have proved themselves on here repeatedly.