is the bubble due to burst? | Page 153 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Obviously it is a matter of degree. I don't think short term rates are going back to 10%, or even 5%. But could they go up somewhat? I believe they will, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sustained high inflation tends to be very politically unpopular, probably even more unpopular than rising interest rates.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmm... what happened to the stock market last Friday when the Fed suggested they might raise rates in 2022 instead of 2023?

Anytime the Fed tries to raise rates, the market will punish them and get the politicians interest.

3. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What does the stock market do when inflation exceeds about 2-3% over a long period of time? Hint-- it's not great either.

Actually, in the early stages of a rising rate cycle, the stock market tends to do pretty well.

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You better than I do the stock market has an attention span of a gnat with ADD.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think they will start to cut back on QE and do tightening. They already talked about cutting back on MBS purchases before Treasuries at their last meeting. They don't have to change the Feds funds rate at all since they are doing so much asset buying. I don't see this ending well in the next 3-6 months.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #3806 Texas Forever, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    I agree. There will be no soft landing. Politicians are by definition *******. At the first sign of any real tightening, the stock market will tank and the politicians will freak.

What does this mean for vintage Ferraris? Hang to your hat, folks. It's gonna be Green Grass and High Tides forever (until it is not).

Postscript: I saw Jimmy Buffet open for the Outlaws. It must have been January 1977, but I could be wrong. I was expecting Buffett to be the "Hushpuppy Man." Didn't happen. It must have been one of the first times they played Changes in Latitude and Changes in Attitude. Blew me away. The only time I saw Buffett, but what a time.

Then the Outlaws came on. They played and played and played. They would turn on the lights, they kept playing. They would turn off the sound, they kept playing. They did everything they could to stop them, but they kept playing. It must have been 4:00 am before they stopped playing.

What's the point of bringing this up? Beats me, but if I owned a valuable vintage Ferrari, I wouldn't sell just yet. Then again, don't get greedy.

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Of coarse it is going to happen, the only question is when it is going to happen.

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you know when, can you pretty please send me a private message?

360modena2003 likes this.
  9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If I had access to that kind of information, I would already have a big garage full of Ferraris. I would think my guess is no better than yours. LOL:D

donv and Texas Forever like this.
  10. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not sure I agree, but I’m not an expert here. For the Euro vs CNY vs USD example, I don’t think investors would blindly choose the one with the highest rates. Inflation has to factor into the decision too. Otherwise every investor would buy the currency with the highest rates and we know that’s not what happens.

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Agree, who borrows money in the USA anymore?

Texas Forever and jpbrown like this.
  12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Inflation is a factor to a certain extent, sure. But I don't think it matters if they are within a few points of each other.

The range among large economies is, at most, what 3-4% at the high end vs -0.1% at the low end or so? I don't think it matters within that range.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Money is Mobile and seeks its Best Return.

Texas Forever, randkin and donv like this.
  14. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    All these scares of inflation are just for the headlines and mainstream media.

M2 money supply has significantly decelerated, and all those that were fantasizing about lumber, it too has come down over 50% - oil is next as soon as supply normalizes.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The M2 supply is increasing, but at a lower rate. Anyway, I look at bubbles based on dollars in existence (M2) as you say and the total stock market cap (Wilshire 5000). Stock purchases are cleared with dollars so more dollars printed lets it go up due to monetary inflation. This basically sums it up, but I need to find where they used M2SL in the denominator.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=sCNU

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL

16. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bubble is going as strong as ever at Monterey so far. F40s closing in on $3m, F50s near $4m. 599 6-speed for $700k. Unbelievable.

roma1280 and G. Pepper like this.
  17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I think F40s have been underpriced for a while, many claiming it as their favorite F supercar. I think the Daytona and Boxer are good buys right now. We are lucky to have these three.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

2.2 for the f40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Natkingcolebasket69

BJK likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The final market price is with the fee. Then you pay sales tax.

john a barnes likes this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Not if u register in Montana

john a barnes likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

23. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nope, highest was $2.892m with fees, as ttforcefed posted the screenshot of.

Anyone know why the one at Bonhams only got to a high bid of $1.35m?

24. Natkingcolebasket69

#3825 Natkingcolebasket69, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Which is 2.4 …

I don’t know about the bonham one but it would appear, across the board, that the us market is running hot.
    This F40 in France is 1.5,1.6 with tax.
    355GTS can be had for 100 vs 160 hère etc

https://www.lacentrale.fr/auto-occasion-annonce-87102086306.html