is the bubble due to burst? | Page 159 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3951 paulchua, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Why so quiet @Bradwilliams and @Super Dave?

You both said in this thread (9+ years) the bubble is gonna, will, about, surley, POP!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Don't cha love the internet is FOREVER?

Some folks need to be reminded that every once in a while.

Of course, when the inevitable course correction does happen, both will be here ready to say "I told you so!" (just off a decade)

Life is often stranger than fiction, hard to believe folks have the chutzpah to call things 10 years off, yet I bet it will come.

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Paul, SuperDave went quiet years ago. Maybe it’s time for you to let go? As you said it’s been years…

paulchua and amenasce like this.
  3. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Has it occurred to any of us that perhaps we are not looking at a bubble at all? Yes, prices of "collectibles" have been rising, whether Ferraris or Picassos or Breguets, rare books or vintage wine collections. With the exception of extremely rare cars that inevitably attract the attention of auto collecting billionaires (there are 2,668 billionaires in the world!). When two of them clash, the hammer price can rise to a ridiculous number because both bidders have to own that car and they are both indifferent to the final number).

Apart from that, prices have not been sky-rocketing, they've been rising steadily but rather gently. And that, I rather believe, is a result of the fact that people of means, i.e. those who have excesses of disposable income and, indeed, personal or family wealth whether earned or inherited, have recognized that their dollars are slowly eroding, not plummeting, in value. Cash, beyond what is needed for reasonable everyday living, everyday including second homes and leisure travel, is not a good store of value exactly because it is in steady decline. Exotic car values, haven't spiked, they've been steadily rising since the automobile 'depression' of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Similarly the prices of 'pre-owned' Breguet, A. Lange und Sohne and Patek Philippe watches have been gently but steadily rising for years. And this will continue since the U S government, just like those of Great Britain, France, Germany, Japan, et al. with their currencies, cannot turn off the spigot, they cannot stop "printing" money by "borrowing" non-existent dollars, pounds, euros and yen "from the Treasury".

At which point I'm inclined to ask Marcel Massini what the Swiss government is doing as that government has always seemed to manage its francs very well.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I remember around 1968. 100 chf have been around 92 DM ( german mark ) - € 47 - US $ 23,60
    in 1972 for 100 CHF you got 83 DM - € 42,70 - US $ 26,50
    in 1990 you got 116 DM - € 59,30 - US $ 77,50
    in 1999 you got 174 DM - € 88,95 - US $ 66,50
    in 2002 you got 133 DM - € 68,00 - US $ 64,50
    in 2010 you got 140 DM - € 71,60 - US $ 96,50
    now you would get 193 DM - € 98,70 - US $ 108,20
    so you see the CHF is not so strong anymore

5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Romano, that is shocking. I have not visited Schweiz in many years. What your figures show is just how strong/powerful has become the Swiss franc. Especially after 1971-72 when Pres Nixon "closed" the gold window and the U S dollar was no longer convertible into gold. My wife and I were in Nairobi, Kenya, the morning that occurred, scheduled for an eight-day Land-Rover visit to the Serengeti and the Ngorogoro Crater. After breakfast we went to the desk at the Norfolk Hotel to cash travelers checks. "Sorry, we cannot accept U S dollars!" No money! Fortunately, the hotel did cash - in Kenya shillings - enough for us to 'survive'.

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hagerty has a new article out updating the Ferrari market and it should probably be posted here to update this "Bubble" thread. Lots of interesting "experts" comments. This graphic is a good overview of what is/was happening over the last 50 years:

https://insider.hagerty.com/trends/the-oral-history-of-the-ferrari-bubble/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=MED_UN_NA_EML_UN_SaturdayRoadTrip&hashed_email=8e43f6a5abf43ff70e0771781e4993de6c08fd1510eadb1414b4ce6b84c34e12

johnei likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Terribly written article - doesnt even address 2009

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hmmm...bubble burst yet? It's been nearly 10 years, just wanted to check-in.

9. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004

10. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    #3960 pauls, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Bubble shmubble. I have been collecting cars from Daytonas to Lussos to whatever. A Lusso (mine) sold at auction for 2.2m. I bought it for way less. Am I financial genius? I think not. All the analytics that have been going on here are no different than the the stock market gurus. They don't know jack %$#*@ either. You can't tie the value or the types of cars to anything. This is no more than a frenzy and when it drops hold on to your hats. The relatively massive amount of money I have made has been good reason and luck. Mostly luck. I have been on this thread for years and I hear the same nonsensical reasoning about what and where cars will go. The market is fickle. Forget the analytics. If you realize this you will be much the wiser. Purchase a Ferrari because you love it. And if you made a wise choice when you sell it enjoy the rewards. Should you buy or sell a Ferrari now? Who has the crystal ball?

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The OP was asking ,in 2013, if a Dino @ $400K is sustainable ...maybe the bar should now be raised a tad after the recent C&F sales @ $850K +?;)

matoy and greg512tr like this.
  12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Patience! Some bubbles are bigger than others!

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Good advice, but we're only 1 of 2 - get back to me when we're 2 of 2.

Sound good?

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Don't get me wrong, I think we're in a 'bubble of everything.' I'm not a perma-bull.

I do enjoy pointing out 'perma-bears.' Especially those that have no 'skin in the game.'

timjen88 likes this.
  15. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    If you read Sports Car Magazine, an early camera just brought $15 Million.
    As has been said before, perhaps it is time to close this thread.

Ken Goldman

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    at this point lets leave it open and check in annually until f40s are back to $400k and dinos at $90

Caeruleus11 and paulchua like this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you dream from a time machine? :)

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont think it ever will

paulchua likes this.
  19. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    I think the 410 sport that traded at low estimate , was actually a loss of 1m from prior sale … market small and
    Those that bid years ago probably found something else …
    Others at auction brought big numbers

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The 410 Sport had been shopped around for at least a couple of years prior to crossing the block. A lot of potential buyers had already heard of the car and when it was announced by RM, those potential buyers would have realized no one else "took the bait".

When there isn't a known market, the implied illiquidity and the notion that the buyer is the 'one guy that didn't pass' can have a very damaging effect on something unique like a 410.

That said, it's an amazing car that probably could have achieved a better result had it been handled differently. It deserved better. Say what you will about his business, but DM is a good buyer and I think time will prove this to be a good buy.

colombo2cam and readplays like this.
  21. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    readplays and energy88 like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    readplays likes this.
  23. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mmm... I wonder how hard it would be to replicate that?

readplays and turbo-joe like this.