is the bubble due to burst? | Page 165 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maranello Marshall

Apr 19, 2019
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Kerry M. Bogard
    In my humble opinion- they only look good in Nero Black as those 'rubber duck' bumpers don't show-up so vividly. Had a Black /Tan and it's a really Great, lumbering Beauty. Car linked here says 'project car', and it certainly is.

2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    That is a daunting number for a 365GTC

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #4103 TTR, Mar 28, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    ... but realistic to any 365, be it GT 2+2, BB, B/4, C/4, etc, (or similarly complex & equipped models) needing a "full restoration" .

Bowzer likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    … i.e. expecting everything in it to be, look and work “as new”, since to accomplish all that will require several thousand hours of labor + materials/parts/etc…

Anything less is not “full”.

Bowzer likes this.
  5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I bought 365GTC #10581 from Luigi Chinetti in June 1978; paid $25,000. or $5,000.-6,000. over market for an 'ordinary' GTC. This car was a 330GTC with a factory-installed typ 245 4.4 liter engine that had been commanded by the Commendatore for his friend Leopoldo Pirelli, CEO of an Italian tire company, with whom I had direct personal correspondence confirming that indeed I had his old car. It was in good but well-used condition. I engaged Nereo Iori, who had been the top racing wrench for Chinetti's NART race team, to do a complete mechanical restoration of the car. EVERYTHING was apart; Iori even line-bored the crankshaft and camshafts BY HAND. I thought I was stealing from him when his total charges came to $25K - but bear in mind this is almost a half century ago. When I got my car back, driving it felt like dancing with a ballerina. Writing this, I miss her so.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

beng, Zanny1, ggjjr and 8 others like this.
  6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    And now, “almost half a century” later that same extent/quality, i.e. properly done “complete mechanical (only) restoration” can easily cost +/- ten times what you paid back then.
    Add all convenience accessories, body & paint work, bright work/trim, electrical, upholstery etc. and another $250K can easily go in to it.

Bowzer likes this.
  7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Timo, the best Pebble Beach quality paint ship in southern California did the paint a year later, a custom View attachment 3664028 burgundy, for $8K and a close friend, Lyle Tanner, did the leather seating and Wilton carpets in return for some legal services I had provided him.

Attached Files:

ggjjr and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I believe that was the original color of my old GTC. It got painted resale red.

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I am with Timo, no problem putting $300-500K into a FULL restoration on one of these cars today. Do you have any idea how much it costs to restore a Chrysler "Letter" car today, and they are JUST an old American car.

TTR likes this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    And today, that same quality paint job can also easily cost ten times what you paid back then. No surprises there. What was the hourly labor charge for that quality back then ?

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Having done a few in past 4 decades, I do, and lets not forget, there's not a single Ferrari with equivalent amount square footage of paintable surface.
    I'd be surprised if 365 GTC has 2/3, meaning any Chrysler "Letter" will require at least 1/3 more hours to accomplish same quality paint job, not to mention more accessories, options, trim (which "Letter" cars have a lot less than other Chrysler's of same era), etc...

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    EDIT: