Is the DeTomaso 70P being shown around Los Angeles real or replica? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is the DeTomaso 70P being shown around Los Angeles real or replica?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    To my knowledge having spoken with Mr. Brock this is the first attempt at making a body from his designs and sketches. Peter had to fly to Italy and supervise the second attempt to make sure it turned out the way he want it.

The Sport 5000 was its own animal which Pete contributed to but did not supervise the build.

Attached Files:

2. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    And Ghia never built or design this car, it was Fantuzzi

3. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Yes, I already knew that since years & years ago….

4. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    3500 GT likes this.
  5. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    I guess the Marketing Team had too much vino for lunch when they prepared the package December 1, 1965. I am sure the name of the car is 5L Sport
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
  7. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009

Both cars were never displayed at the same time until DeTomaso 50th anniversary reunion

The 1st iteration (Fini car) was not built at either Ghia or Fantuzzi (as per Pete Brock) but it was loosely based on his sketches
    The 2nd iteration Dec 1965 was originally built at Fantuzzi with Pete Brock present using his designs and input
    The 3rd iteration Nov 1967 was built at Ghia NOT using Pete or his designs.
    The chassis has not been attributed to anyone in particular.

Lobo7, 3500 GT and Mang like this.
  8. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    Incorrect as 5000 Sport ( the third car ) was raced in 1966 !!! and was built by Fantuzzi also, all documentation exist

9. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #34 DenisC, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    How can it be raced in 1966 when it was only unveiled in 1967. Yet there are no known pictures or film records of any the 2nd iteration car at any races.

10. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    very well documented raced in 1966

11. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Ha Ha documented on fan based site. Fed by a multitude of pseudonyms all based in Belgium.

12. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    Based on the truth , simple , facts speak louder than goossips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lobo7 likes this.
  13. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    I often wonder why people who seem to be intelligent want to rewrite history at all costs. To appear intelligent? to gain stature? it must be hard to want to convince at night when it is broad daylight

14. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    First off this article which I had read some time ago does not support anything other than the car was presented 2 years ago (yes in it's former dress) and then a lot of speculation. Please review a certain "reference book". What is the name on the rear Targa of the car on page 84. Now read the marketing release from page 93 on the first line it is noted "new design" meaning old car new skin.
    As to Mugello 1966, look-up Roy Paggliacci film and no DeTomaso ever started that race.

You ask "who want to rewrite history". Well, not me apparently, but someone who could write one (or 4 books) creating a "famous" car(s) Then acquiring the archives that were destined to someone else might be interested. Smells like "Motive and Opportunity" to me.

15. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    I understand that you are jealous by the success of others, you refuse the evidences, good luck to you

16. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Me jealous no. Success with honesty and hard work. Marcel Mansini and Kevin Marty live a good life. The "refence books" read like a Dan Brown novels. 20% BS burried in 80% truths. Written by people who walked away after seeing the final draft. Selling a car with a falsified heritage and content is not my forte. And I won't send a couple Czech biker thugs to sell my version of history.

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    From my brief, but ‘intense’ experience in the DeTomaso world as a car owner (Mangusta and Pantera), I found DenisC to be one of the greatest assets that Detomaso bunch has. I hope they all realize it. This man knows A LOT, yet remains humble and generous and helpful with his wisdom on this marque.

lgs likes this.
  18. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
  19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was walking abut 4 ft. behind Pete Brock when he entered some event and saw the P70.He stopped and said "good copy." There was no one else around so he was talking aloud to himself.
    I don't know if he knows me by sight or if he even saw me walking behind him. So I'm curious why he said that. I am glad he found fame again through the revival of these two cars but I doubt the pedigree , especially re racing. Why is the auction company even mentioning races it entered but never appeared? i could enter a VW beetle at LeMans but, if it never appeared on the grid it does not have a LeMans history. I can give another example of stretched credibility from DeTomaso history. When I was visiting the factory some decades ago, I saw the original dark gold Mangusta in what I would call a junk pile, filled with garbage, but years later I saw it in a magazine as a running licensed car.(note it has the rear deck ventilation vents added which it did not have when a pushmobile) So anyone who says it was intact since its original shoe car career is wrong--when I saw it, it was a pushmobile, with a unique plexiglass covered dashboard with some gauges painted on. . I wish Marcel Massini could document DeTomasos like he does Ferrari. When I was at the factory there was no library or archive. I got the impression they were a company making up history as they went along.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DenisC likes this.