Is the Ducati 996 "classic" now?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is the Ducati 996 "classic" now??

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BigTex, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Talking standard production models and not S, R, SPS, SP etc...

You might find any of these bikes in showrrom condition with 1000 miles and dripping in magnesium and carbon fiber. Those bikes are very few and far between, prices of those might be higher than below, but the owner will have lost thousands for what he gets for the bike today comapred to original parts prices. In reality mods don't really add anything to the sale price from my experie3nce, and can be a real turnoff if not done properly (or irreversible)

But talking about bikes you will actually find for sale the best 916 might be $7500. Most with usual wear and tear $4k-5k range.

Best 748 is $6000 for a lucky seller. Most you will find are worth $3-4k in reality.

996 is about the same as 916, or a bit higher just because it is newer.

Standard 998 was a one-year wonder. Sometimes you see them with silly asking prices but $8k or less if the seller is serious. 2004 matrix isn't worth any more than the '02 models, but some think it is rare, it really isn't and the green is a turn off to some.

It sounds like a Ferrari cliche but unless the owner can prove maintenance is current, it should greatly detract from value. Unless the buyer is a competent DIYer, taking it to a dealer for fluids & filters, valve adjustment, and belts could easily be $1000. That is a very high percentage of the value of the bike today. And you haven't even put on new tires or addressed cosmetic issues if (where?) they exist on a 20 year old bike.

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #27 Kevin Rev'n, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    I still can't be I sold my 998R! :(

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Steve Wynne motor?

Art

5. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    #30 2000YELLOW360, Apr 1, 2015
  6. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    I sure hope so!

7. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Doh!!
    I still have my 998R I purchased new. i love that bike! i came close to selling it once, but am so glad I didnt. I think the 916-998's are the best looking bikes of all time, and were from a period when Ducati ruled the roost in racing. Very special bikes and great value, particularly the SPS & R versions.

8. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #33 kiesan, Apr 1, 2015
    tundra whenever I see commentary from you in regards to any of this Ducati-world and related bike stuff, I almost always agree.

However, methinks the demand for minty early 916 models is stronger than you might think. Every time in the last few years I've had a clean early 916 for sale its been a stampede.

Late last year I had a 1-owner Varese built machine with 2k miles. Nearly 100% original and mint with known history from new. I advertised it for $16k and had strong interest from all over the world. A Ducati dealer snatched it up for something near my ask. There were 4 or 5 pissed off peeps that wished they pulled the trigger.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I picked up a sweet 996 SPS with 1,200 miles, owned by an old guy a few years ago for $8,500. Undamaged, unmolested and barely broken in. I felt like I stole it. you can't do that anymore!

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #35 BigTex, Apr 2, 2015
    It arrived...900 miles showing....been stored since 2004 per the plates but all updates are current on the VIN.
    We will see!

there is a red 996 on eBay 1800 miles for $9K
    That was my comparision.

$8K for this one

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #36 BigTex, Apr 2, 2015
  12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Yes I probably stated a figure too low, but then again some of the examples of bikes you have had over the years represent the absolute top of the market in condition. For a layperson cruising Ebay or craigslist we don't usually get the chance to buy a unicorn like that incredible 916.

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I had a 748 as my first bike about 10 years ago. Handled great, but was slow and uncomfortable compared to the Japanese bikes. I upgraded to an MV F4 which handled even better, but still wasn't as comfortable as the R1 or CBR. But man was it beautiful.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Nice looking ride BT! Good grab!

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #40 Kevin Rev'n, Apr 3, 2015
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, the brief ride over for new tires shows me this is a WHOLE different thing, from the ST3 cruiser!

LOL!

17. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    :) I like how they look like they are diving for the apex just standing still!

I don't think my body could take it but I tip my hat to you!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    All the way I am thinking:
    "The guys that drive these for a living are NOT 6'3"...!!!"

Maybe there's a STRETCH frame I can order..

My buddy said:
    "You will drive it one hundred miles, then need a chiropracter!"

I was making NO sudden moves, on the original tires!
    He is going to go all thru it, but assured me the hard parts are fine.

19. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm 6'1" and I was able to do 500-600 mile days on my 748. Being tall allowed me to slide forward/backward on the seat to change where the pressure on my butt was. When you are 5'6" you are very limited. Now when I had full leathers on they did get bunched up behind my knee on longer rides.

20. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am 6'2" and just did 20 miles to work this AM on my new 900SS/SP. Then I needed to meet someone at a jobsite so I took the long way and that was another 50 mid morning. I am looking at 20 more to get home. I am not sore but I do have that comfortable feeling of a post physical feat. Surf report looks good I need to suit up get moving and grab a few, I will sleep well tonight! :)

Aloha

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #46 abstamaria, Apr 3, 2015
    I don't know if the 916 family motorcycles will ever be classics, but they were to me the most beautiful motorcycles built. I had a 748R for a long while and kept it, having sold all the other motorcycles, even after a medical problem no longer made it prudent to ride.

I still regret selling it. What a beautiful bike, and so precise to ride.

22. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I may be in the minority here and while I loved my 748 for the looks I absolutely hated the ride. Even after a new set of tires, I felt like I had to wrestle the thing to get it to do what I wanted.

I sold it to an Italian guy who actually dropped the bike during a test ride (after giving me a $1000 deposit) - luckily still agreeing to buy it after he tore up the whole right side lower fairing - he could have walked and it would have cost me more than $1000 for the damage.

Afterwards I bought an R1 and never looked back.

I am curious how the Panigale and the BMW S1000RR ride in comparison.

23. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    as a former Ducati dealer, I had one customer who had no car and a 748. Die hard. Everyone else? Garage and weekend candy.

These bikes shine on the track, are difficult to 'live' (daily) with but of course are 'sex-in-motion' pretty.

imho, the 998 is the best of the best with the testastretta engine, but the early 916 graphics and "Ducati Racing' on the rear 3 spoke are touches that make me pause.

The 748RS is the best track tool I rode and made a fair rider like me into a good rider. Especially with true mag wheels. Easier steering. The v-twin power is easy to ride and the 4 cylinder machines in the 600cc range had to be kept in a small rpm range which was busy and took lots of shifting.

748's are so cheap that they should (!) be picked up and track day'ed !!! Drop one tooth off the front sprocket of any 748/996/998 and the bike is a full on hand full, and you give up very little because there are few places one can use that top speed anyway...

get out there and live out your inner Carl, Troy, Ruben or Ben :)

24. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I have all three. The Panigale and BMW are both in a different league than the 916/996/998. They are way quicker, easier to ride and more comfortable. The technology is amazing. no lift shift, traction control, wheelie control, ABS, electronically adjustable shocks. Kind of like comparing a P-51 Mustang to an F-22 Raptor. The modern performance & technology are far superior, but the old school is kind of cooler!

25. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    That looks really good. When/if you want it gone let me know. I love the yellow ones....