Is the engine # the same as the chassis # on a '79 308? | FerrariChat

Is the engine # the same as the chassis # on a '79 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by wolfturbo, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    If not, what is the go-to source for confirming the original engine # for a car? Engine #'s don't appear on the original window sticker, which I have for my car.

Lastly, can anyone kindly advise me on where to find the engine # on the engine?

Dumb question I know. Please spare me the insults!! :):)

Thanks to all!

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Engine # is on top of block, right behind the water pump and in front of rear bank.

VIN#, engine#, assembly# and transmission# are all different.

3. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    While there are other ways to determine the factory engine number, if you have your original owner's manual it should be written on the inside front cover. Start at the #1 fuel injector, then lean over and look straight down into the void between the intake manifold and the corner of the Warm-Up Regulator. The engine number is 3″ down from the WAR mounting nut. You may possibly need to nudge a hose out of the way.

syata likes this.
  4. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    1979 308 is a carb car, no fuel injectors or WAR.

5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Or just pay a few hundred dollars to your nearest authorized dealer to get a build sheet from Ferrari with all your specs. Not that anyone loves to throw money around just for the sake of it, but - if it's really a burning question for you - that will answer your query definitively.