Is the Monza selling? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is the Monza selling?

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by BarryK, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    There is no legal way to drive in the USA. You can put a dealer plate on sure, but that doesn’t make it legal.

elmadi and carguyjohn350 like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I was asked in passing if it was something id buy, to which i said no. Feel like i cld have gotten one if my answer was hells yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I was asked if I want to be on line in case someone passed on and I said no.
    I heard he passed the allocation and Ferrari took it back but who knows if I said yes.

I would buy one for sure even I can only drive on track but the price was a killer.
    1M for track only was my max. I also do believe if the car is road legal then its value will skyrocket but thats not the case now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dbacr and of2worlds like this.
  4. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Stories from the past: I remember when the car bubble burst in the 90s I was offered a 288 GTO for £160k...no one wanted them at the time and they were trading on par with F40s. Lots of top Ferrari customers selling then as well. Bought a F40 instead for £200k and people told me I was a fool as they are “a dime a dozen”. I also remember buying a 250 Lusso for £104k in Feb 2001 after watching it sit unloved with the same dealer for 2 years. I gave him a low mileage 355 Spider and £50k...He was over the moon...Almost as happy as the big UK dealer who gave me a 24,000km red Porsche 959 and £20,000 to buy my brand new 550 Maranello in 1998!
    I bet some of the younger people in this forum are thinking “he is making it up”, but all 3 stories are 100% true.

Bottom line is the Monza is expensive. It also looks incredible, has loads of Ferrari charisma and it is the first time in years that Ferrari said “forget reason, let’s make something crazy and emotional”. I applaud them for it and I took my allocation. After 30 years of buying cars, I know that when a car “feels” right, I won’t go wrong. Not because of its investment value - who knows- but because it’s time will come when many people feel like I do.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Agree with you. I also wonder what those people who refused their allocation will think when Ferrari takes them off the list for future limited editions...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

spyderman, Bret Curtis and daytona355 like this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    As long as my kids are healthy I could give a rats ass. There are no free lunches. If you ultimately want one you can always buy it in the secondary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Well we’ll see. I have bought every other car, support the brand in many ways, finance some cars even though I don’t need to, fly my cars to Maranello when they are invited, blow untold amounts doing Ferrari challenge. I passed on the Monza because I drive all my cars. It’s a non road-legal road car. It is not fit for track use either as it has no head protection (good luck with that Loro Piana helmet when a stray wheel from the crash in front of you hits your head at 120mpg). So what’s the car? It’s a nice looking paperweight. If Ferrari holds that against me, so be it.

8. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Has anyone been offered a Monza from a F dealership recently, not talking about buying out another customer’s position above list? When I put up my deposit of $500k I was told the car was sold out and there was a long waiting list. I was told the same thing when I specked the car at Ferrari North America. Rare for a low volume limited edition Ferrari not to appreciate considerably, I guess anything is possible.

Ferrari offered this car to collectors, not customers who are eligible for Pistas. Collectors will have them next to their LaFerraris and one day they will be worth the same, the Iconas will be the modern Ferrari’s to collect imho.

of2worlds, elmadi, Bundy and 6 others like this.
  9. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I hope it appreciates considerably. It would help if we didn’t keep reading in the company documents that the model is “extremely profitable”. Which I take to mean it has production costs probably not much above an 812 but sells for 5 times an 812.

Bhh likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Never finance a limited edition. If you do finance one, make sure then dealer doesnt put themselves down as the lien holder. Make sure the lien holder is FFS.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I agree. Even if you thought the Monza was a dud, if you are long term (20+ year) collector, I am sure the full set of Iconas will be valuable.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  12. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I have been told the same and I do not know anyone who’s been offered an allocation since January. I also think that if they had trouble selling the car they would have shown it in Geneva. I asked why they didn’t bring the car there and the answer was that the car is sold out.
    Having said that, who knows! I know of some dealers who’ve only sold 1 car while they had 4 LaF allocations.

13. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I agree the story is very different in the US. I also drive all my cars and would not buy something I can only display and not drive

uhn2000 likes this.
  14. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love these stories. Almost worthy of a new thread, "great buys from the past"! I read another one somewhere about someone trading in a nearly new 360 and 20k for an F40!

daytona355 and ewright like this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Perhaps. Who really knows. However, as much as I dislike hybrids I do not consider a Monza in nearly the same league as an LaF or Laf Aperta. Laf is the pinnacle street Ferrari of modern times and the Monza is essentially another LE F12/812 iteration (albeit more special). Agree a set alongside the others will be required for the proper collection.

BarryK likes this.
  16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Agree. The only area in which the Monza ranks with the LaFerrari is price. Otherwise, it is a (very nice) 812 Barchetta.

Also, I think some of the historic comparisons with other limited edition cars might no longer be valid, at least short term. Ferrari's new pricing is leaving no free money for the buyers. They have have said so to the investors. For the price, they should be making 100 not 500.

Twosherpaz, Bhh and j09333 like this.
  17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What is the final MSRP before any option or TM?

18. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Although the LaFerrari has 161 kers horsepower it kerb weight is 175 pounds heavier than the Monza even with its carbon tub. The new 6.5 liter Monza engine has 810 hp in comparison to the 6.3 liter 789 hp engine in the LaFerrari.

The TDF is 50 lbs heavier and has 20 less horsepower than the Monza and the TDF turned Fiorano in 121.00 so the Monza could be slightly faster than the TDF. The LaFerrari turned it in 119.70. I would guess the Monza would be about a second slower than the LaFerrari around Fiorano so quite an exciting ride and not just a fabulous looker.

daytona355, F140C and of2worlds like this.
  19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    #44 BarryK, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019

I would pay good money to watch someone set the Fiorano lap time in a Monza wearing a Loro Piana helmet! :)

On a more serious note, Monza doesn't have much of the aero from the 812. So I would be surprised if it is optimised for lap times.

j09333 likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i was told about to expect 1.7 USD base.

amenasce likes this.
  21. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    It is just over 1.3 EUR before local taxes... which makes it 1.6 in Italy, slightly less in the rest of Europe. 1.7 USD sounds more or less correct for the US

22. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    In the US about $1.8 million plus options, $500 K down and you can’t sell for 18 months. As I wrote above I hope for everyone that has ordered one that it skyrockets in value, but given these terms for a non road legal nor trackable 812 barchetta it seems a bit of a stretch.

Bundy, daytona355 and j09333 like this.
  23. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I disagree on the aero, there seems to be quite a serious front spoiler, an aero side component, an extractor at the rear and I'm sure Ferrari has worked the floor elements similar to the 812.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    NeilF8888

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name: