Is the Monza selling? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Is the Monza selling?

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by BarryK, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes maybe, but it shouldn’t take a wealthy guy to say I’d buy the car if I was more wealthy. The reality is that the Monza is polarizing for many reasons and it just isn’t a “must have” car in the same way that say the F40 was when it came out.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What? I though you were not a convertible guy! :)

Well you did say own and no mention of actually driving...

I don't understand the negativity by some towards the Monza SP series. It is Ferrari 'art' that you can move around under it's own power and enjoy the visual presence of. This Ferrari is a celebration of design excellence without the usual design concessions to conventional thinking. It was not created to pick up dry cleaning...

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not negative - more critical of value proposition or lack thereof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds and roma1280 like this.
  4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have zero interest or use for a Ferrari I can’t drive, to the dry cleaner, or anywhere else for that matter.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I still cant believe Ferrari is not going to make this thing legal in the USA. It's so mind blowing...Either they know most US super collectors do not drive their cars and wont care or they think they will ship it to Europe to drive it there?? Or they think they are so wealthy they dont mind spending $2m just to own this new Ferrari??

6. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Ferrari knows if they don't manufacture more than 500 Monzas, the Monza would be eligible to be driven 2500 miles per year in the USA with a "Show and Display " permit issued by the NHTSA after production has finished as long as it meets EPA regulations.

vraa, of2worlds and amenasce like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    In minority I guess....I find the monza a bit boring in design.
    Sure I’d take one but I’m not enamored. Kinda feel same about Pista. Hope I’m wrong when it arrives.
    The 812sf spider though I’ve expressed interest. Hoping they can improve the rear by then.

roma1280 likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You are not alone.

Design inspiration?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

roma1280 likes this.
  9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is that a fact? Why are Zondas not eligible? EPA?

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Which one has the smaller turning circle? Monza SP 1 reflects a lack of compromises other designs are saddled with!

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes I think it’s the total emissions. The exhaust emissions easy to fiddle by tuning the engine but the total emissions not. I hear the kit to get it to pass costs a fortune plus maybe you have the issue with Zonda that they aren’t really out of production. I heard second hand that the show and display people have said the Zonda will “Never” be approved. If I was one of the guys with a Zonda here in the US illegally I wouldn’t be flashing it all over Instagram! Technically it could get impounded and destroyed.
    I would worry that there may be equally draconian laws on the books about improperly using dealer plates too.

amenasce likes this.
  12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Show and display application .. and yes needs EPA approval for driving on public roads.

I didn’t realize you cannot “sell, lease or transfer custody of the vehicle unless ... received written permission from NHTSA” and the next owner needs to reapply for a new show and display exemption.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/appsd_permissionjuly2014_r.v.2.pdf

There are 3 reasons for an application, that the vehicle is if technological, historical or exceptional significance. Interestingly if there are more than 500 made you can still apply but then it needs to meet the “exceptional” standard whatever that is.

Assuming the EPA test is met, Monza presumably would need to be considered of “technological” significance. I wonder what the Mercedes guys used for the Stirling Moss car

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Lol ok maybe aircraft carrier a bit unkind but the car does look enormously long in the metal.

Solid State and of2worlds like this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Aston cant get a GT8 for me here in USA, not even under Show and Display! My fav car noise.

15. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I believe it would qualify “ exceptional significant “ by being less than 500 being produced.

Caeruleus11, F140C and of2worlds like this.
  16. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Not in the uk

17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I was at the SF90 premiere today...Met a few European Ferrari dealers (strange because I was told no dealers would be allowed today) and asked about the Monza...All said they are sold out and were pretty happy with their sales. Most have been SP2 by the sound of it. Met a few of the buyers too

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

stavura, Caeruleus11, 3COL and 3 others like this.
  18. mat.f430

mat.f430 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Mat
    If you go to Wikipedia - there is a specific list of cars that are included in the Show and Display category --- I'm not sure of how vehicles are added.

19. Travis Smith

Travis Smith Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    WashPro

I don’t get it with the head protection argument, isn’t it just like riding a motorcycle?? I don’t think they made it to be a conventional Ferrari. It’s a radical throwback design that I personally would never turn down. It’s a super cool special car that you can take out and enjoy like you would a motorcycle with the wind in your face, throwback to the old racing days, and turn a LOT of heads. How awesome is that.. These cars just sit in garages anyway, no one tracks them let’s be honest. They take them to a car show or dinner, otherwise they sit low miles in a garage. I don’t get that argument, and I see it a lot..

20. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I do. I personally have seen a tire and wheel hit a racer in an open cockpit race car in the head. Lot's more stuff flying about on a race track than riding a bike on the streets.

21. Travis Smith

Travis Smith Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    WashPro
    Understood, I’m on the track a good bit, been racing SCCA many years, that car isn’t going out on a track it’s joy riding through the mountains and to dinner. And if I owned it I certainly would take it out on the track at least once, but I’m spacing myself where no parts are hitting me.. We’ll agree to disagree. Looks like you have a nice collection!

22. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    It is in German but quite clear......horrible

23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    This is awful and exactly why I passed on my Monza allocation. I would never drive it on a track and it’s not road legal. Even if it was I wouldn’t drive a car on public roads for exactly the same reason. Have a golf ball size rock hit your visor at 75 mph or even worse during your “wind in the hair” experience and let me know how that goes. To produce a car that so blatantly flaunts modern safety standards frankly is just lazy. That’s why many passed on the car and many think that a 6 times markup on cost is greedy and doesn’t bode well for secondary values.

24. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I find the 0.000025% chance that something would hit you in the head and kill you argument odd to me. I’ve also seen videos of a 2x4 randomly flying through a windshield but I don’t actively worry about it when I drive. You step out the house and you’re in danger of something I suppose but how likely is it to happen? With the internet and cameras everywhere you can find just about any video of some super rare event happening. Does that mean you stop? Play the numbers. That’s why we fly in planes for example. We *could* crash but how likely is it really? You *could* get hit in the head by a stray tire but if you’re worrying about that then you might as well stay under your blankets because the odds are ridiculously low.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Stradalelover likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Getting killed is one thing but getting hit with something is an absolute certainty. Ride a motorcycle on the road for a few years. I've been hit with everything. I've been stung by bees, pelted by stones, ate a ton of bugs and one time hit by dozens of cherry tomatoes coming off the top of an uncovered agricultural truck. It hurt too. Ridiculous to imagine at the speeds an F12/812 chassis is capable of. If folks drive these cars with no windshields like they pledge, they will get hit with road and track debris. At least the driver gets the reward/risk of driving but nothing in it for the passenger IMO.

BarryK likes this.