Is their breakdown on SP1/SP2 sales or are they still being sold new? | FerrariChat

Is their breakdown on SP1/SP2 sales or are they still being sold new?

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by bitzman, Jan 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was surprised that there is not inclusion of SP1 and SP1 in this thread title. I wonder if there is a list of what countries they went to? Are they even legal to drive in US without glass windscreen? I saw at least a dozen at Laguna Seca but that was on track property so i don't know how they got to the track (during Car Week maybe that's an infraction not worth stopping someone for) Painting of SP2 doing a burnout here Road Art Lots for Kissimmee 2023 | Page 23 (mecum.com)

Question about color? i gather a good many had custom colors selected by the owner, so that must be a headache to figure out what colors they are...some colors were custom mixed...alll part of the SP program which includes a lot of bespoke...

2. MirageJHU

MirageJHU Rookie

Aug 18, 2010
    CA
    Full Name:
    Annand
    Hi Wallace, for the cars at Laguna during Monterey Car week, Ferrari worked with California Highway Patrol (CHP) and other local authorities to enable the one time drive from Casa Ferrari in Pebble Beach to Laguna Seca for parade laps and back.

With regards to legal road usage in the US, initially they were sold to US owners on a bill of sale and specifically not street legal. The lack of windscreen is one of a few factors making it not legal. At some point in the last 12 or 18 months Ferrari told US Monza owners that they would offer a "certification kit" to bring the car the US "Show or Display Exemption." Once a US car has that kit they can legally be driven 2500 miles a year in the US. As far as what that kit is - your guess is as good as mine.

anunakki likes this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    It seems to me that it's a lot like the $23,000 Polaris Slingshot, a three wheeled motorcycle, which is legal when you wear a helmet. Two seats side by side, But the Slingshot does have what looks like a 4" plexiglass windshield. so if you try to squeeze the SP1 and SP2 under the same wire by arguing that it's naught but a four wheeled Polaris they might point at that. Still you could argue it's safer because the Polaris doesn't have airbags. What if one State allows them (like Montana?) or is it a national law that cars have windshields?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I ran across a picture of an SP2 being piloted (horrors!) are driving down a city street with no helmets/no face masks. Maybe one guy has eyeglasses. I can't figure out what country the license plate is from but maybe Dubai or some country where the rich pretty much do want they and aren't written up. (do i sound jealous?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. robinou30

robinou30 Karting

Jun 23, 2008

Arabian Plate, but thiscar is in MonteCarlo since summer 2020 (picture taken in august 2022), but MC is very small, so, no problem without helmet.

7. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    The show and display kits are being installed on our cars now. Ferrari has arranged an event at the Miami Grand Prix allowing us to drive from the hotel to and on the track, but we have to have the kits installed first.

ewright, bwshihtzu and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I didn’t hear that the show and display kit is required…are you shipping your car down?

9. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    Sorry just saw this post…

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. Emirateshills575

Feb 1, 2023
    UAE
    Full Name:
    X
    This one in Monaco, you can also use it in UAE regularly, also in Spain it's allowed too