Is there a secret Corvette wave? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is there a secret Corvette wave?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by KENCO, Oct 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I never meant to say it was a broad generalization across the board.

There always have and always will be people who by "X" car that have no passion for it's history...thats true.

It just seems to me that once the C5 really started to make an impact on Endurance racing and started to compete with the high end Euro cars on the track and in the mags, a new breed of fan appeared. Again, I have no qualm with them, they have a passion in their own right....it's just not history.

2. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I wasn't specifically meaning you, just some of the comments in general. :D

RMX

3. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Whatever the latest model Corvette is, there will be people that buy/lease them, couldn't care less and don't wave. The Z06 owners tend to be more entusiasts, so you'll see them waving more than others. I don't think you can judge the car because of this, it's been going on forever. When the C4's were new you saw the same thing.

4. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I always wave inmy corvettes even when I had bought a new 02 Z06 I waved, now I only have my 90 ZR-1 and my 68 BB I will always wave the ZR-1 is my daily driver!

save the wave and wave!

5. scottyd

scottyd Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    Lucan
    Full Name:
    Scott Dietrich
    Yes that is true and have noticed that a couple opf times.

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Well speaking as a new C6 ZO6 owner, I think all vettes are cool and I give headlightflash to all I see new or old...:)

7. Greg Z

Greg Z Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory L. Zelinski
    #32 Greg Z, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wave to all Vette and In no particularly special form either, but usually twice....one for each turbo LOL

The crazy thing is I don't drive the TT that much so I find myself waving at other Corvettes all the time and I'm not even in my Vette! I get some confused looks LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    These people are everywhere. How many Gallardo owners do you suppose have a clue who Bob Wallace, Feruccio, or Gandini are ?
    Some of these people buy Ferraris too. I have a friend who was a mechanic in NART who met one at an FCA dinner and wanted to kill him :)

9. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #34 AnotherDunneDeal, Nov 29, 2008
  10. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    It is kind of an unspoken convention that when you see another vette you do a little wave to each other.

Also when going the same way you tend to kind of naturally fall into formation.

I'll never forget the time (around 89/90) I drove back to Houston and when I got to the outskirts I found another vette and we drove side by side (me in my Red and him in his black one). Another red one came up on us and we both split out to behind to either side of the black one in a V formation. We went down 45 this way until we got down to the 610/225 cutoff and then I split off down 225...

It was so cool with us going in V formation all the way down...

ah it brings back the memories...

Frank

11. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    There's always the Masonic Vette wave, an inverted hook 'em Horns sign, not to be used in Sicily, where you could be mistaken for a gangsta/

12. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Sometimes there is nothing like a good old American Corvette. It will be sad to see it go away if we don't help out and support the American automakers by buying some American muscle!

13. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Always used to get waves in my old Wrangler. But then again, it was lifted and had Swampers. Occasionally waved and got the 'wtf' face...

14. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    #39 zaevor2000, Dec 19, 2008
    She was my gorgeous redhead...I miss her...

15. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Was that your first Vette? You look like a kid in a candy store! Young guy with his first Vette.............you my friend lived the American dream!

Now go get another one just like it!

16. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    I had wanted a Corvette from the time I was 3 yrs old. I grew up a car nut. My dad and the preacher and our next door neighbor Ralph were always in our garage working on cars. My dad's motto was that if you didn't know how to work on it you didn't deserve it.

Fast forward 22 yrs later (1989) I got my Vette 2 months before my 25th birthday and just over a year after I ETS'd out of the army (finished my enlistment). I got her from Frank Parra in May of 89 w/55k miles on her. She was an 85 (the first year w/TPI-you've seen on the side where I whited in the letters). With that many miles I had to start replacing things fairly quickly.

I loved to detail her on the weekends and spent many an afternoon opening up the clamshell hood and just sitting on the front tire working on her. I went through 3(!!!) Haynes manuals in the 8 yrs I owned her. I always preferred Haynes over Chilton's since the photos are real good at showing you what you need to do (and little tips and tricks along the way).

I had a lot of good memories of her and wish I had never sold her (in 97 w/188k miles and still looking showroom-although by that time I had pretty much replaced overthing twice). I kept her showroom condition the whole time. She was my baby... I used to love taking the top off and windows down and just cruising down the road for hours on the weekend with no particular place to go...smiling the whole time...

Frank

17. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I had a red 86 just like that.

18. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    That was my gorgeous red head. My first Vette had to be red...

I'm sure you enjoyed your red 86!

The memories always bring a smile to my face.

I hope this finds you well!

Frank

19. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #44 KENCO, Dec 20, 2008
  20. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    She looks beautiful...gotta love those wheels!!!

Frank

21. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    #46 ST&A, Dec 20, 2008
    I noticed that right away when i was driving my vette home. I was a little freaked out but after that i just wave every time i see another vette when i drive mine. A Secret Society of Vette wavers. LOL

22. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Got a wave from a C6 today. Happened so fast I couldn't wave back in time..............damn......

23. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    #48 GoFerrari28, Jan 13, 2009
  24. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #49 Darkhorse575, Jan 13, 2009
    Oops!
    There's a wave?
    What wave?
    The owners manual didn't say anything about a wave.

It's only been a month of ownership for me and I must confess to occasionaly sneering at Toyota Priuses ("Excuse me while I burn all the gas your saving").
    Most of the time I see other Vetts is when I not in my car. At that moment a wave would be akward right? Look at this pic and you can see that I sometimes wave a camera at my car.

25. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #50 KENCO, Jan 14, 2009
    You need to take another look, you must have missed it. Page 4-35. Common mistake......:D