Is there a secret Corvette wave? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Is there a secret Corvette wave?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by KENCO, Oct 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Nice. You know you made actualy go look at my manual again.

2. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I love it!!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I found this.........it should clear everything up.

CORVETTE WAVE RULES
    The "Corvette Wave" is an integral part of the mystic and culture of the Corvette owner experience. Corvette owners who wave at fellow Corvette owners show a mark of recognition that you are among the elite group of intelligent people who are driving America's True Sports Car. And as a member of this elite group, you should be recognized for your pose and intelligence. So for those who don't know the five simple Corvette Wave rules, here they are:

1. There is no excuse for not waving at your fellow Corvette owner.
    Although most Corvette owners have the class and understanding to accept when their wave is not returned, not waving is a serious breach of proper Corvette etiquette.

2. Whoever sees the other Corvette first, starts the wave.
    There isn't any rule about who waves first. This is simple; if you see another Corvette, wave!

3. Rules 1 and 2 apply to both sexes.
    As far as who starts the wave, it doesn't make a difference if you are a man or women. Rules 1 and 2 apply.

4. Any type of wave is okay.
    Whether you shoot a big wave up through your open Vette top, out the window, or a quick salute with your hand on the steering wheel, any wave that can be seen by the other Corvette driver is okay. However, this does not include any style of jester that can be interpreted as obscene or insulting. Remember, Corvette owners are a class act; while someone might have been rude or stupid to you, try not to return the favor. (This is a tough rule not to break with all the stupid drivers who manage to get a driver's license.)

5. A late wave is better than no wave.
    If you suddenly realize that a Corvette driver is passing and waving at you, get a wave off as soon as possible. The other Corvette driver may see your wave in their rear view mirror and realize that you where just a little late in getting your wave going. Although missing the timing of your wave is a "goof," this can be acceptably covered by getting off a wave that the other Corvette driver has a chance to see.

So you can see the underlying concept here is simple, Wave at you fellow Corvette owners, whoever they are, whenever you see them. This will show you are a person who understands the full measure and etiquette that comes with your proud ownership of a Corvette.

Dan Woomer (LCCC) wrote and published these on October 23, 200

4. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Always give a wave to other Corvette's when i'm driving mine; and i usually get them in return!

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I always thought the "Pinky Wave " was a sign that they thought you were compensating for the "lack of" elsewhere.

6. xsrdx

xsrdx Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Alexandria VA
    #56 xsrdx, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    I'm not a Corvette guy, never have been, but have always had a deep affection for the 63-67 cars. Don't have much respect for MY 70-83; C4's and C5's were cool but I couldn't see myself choosing one over a 911 or V8 F car.

That said, I will in all likelihood buy a C6 Z06 next year - assuming GM survives and they don't become collector items worth $900k - because there is no better performance value. It's hard to find a peer competitor period, let alone in the same price range.

It's just a spectacular vehicle, and I have the greatest respect for all that Corvette racing has accomplished with the C5R/C6R cars in GT1/GTS over the years.

So I don't qualify as a diehard Corvette enthusiast, but OTOH I'll be driving one because it's a world class sports car - not because it's a Corvette.

And I'll be waving as directed.

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I've owned 4 of them in my life. I was not looking to buy another but needed to replace my Acura because it's coming off lease...long story short, I couldn't find anyone to sell me a Challenger at a reasonable price so I ended up buying a black/red 05 C6 Z51 and boy am I ever smitten! I actually did not want a Vette...figured it was way too mid-life crisis...BUT...I've grown to freaking love it in the past 3 weeks. I think the Z06 is just such a great car. Spending some time on Corvetteforum, I see these particular models, when given even slight mods, are just ridiculous. I might just hang on to my C6 for a year or two and then trade for a lightly used Z.

The base car is plenty fast, too. Those also have a lot of potential. Lots of guys getting them into the 11s with very nominal mods.

RMX

8. xsrdx

xsrdx Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Alexandria VA
    Definitely some unpleasant perception-baggage that comes with the whole Vette image- gold chains, nylon jackets, chest hair, ED compensation, etc. that doesn't come with some of the alternatives, but I think the C5 and esp C6 cars have done a lot to offset that perception, by competing on more than just affordability.

The racing success does it for me, they give up nothing to the best the world can offer in GT1/GTS; regardless of the image issue.

9. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I personally feel that the Z06 is the best car for the buck! I have been full circle, from a Vette about 5 years ago to a Lotus, to a 911 back to my current Vette, still the best, the Z06! I have just put a short shifter, an exhaust and an intake on it and next week I have some nice black wheels that will be going on with some big fatty tires. All for about $1,800.00..........I couldn't even buy half a Tubi for my F car for that!

10. REMIX

#60 REMIX, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can buy a set of repo Z06 rims in BLACK for $545 and have them here for around $600. That's crazy! I want comp gray, though. Haven't seen any Z06 repos for the C6 in comp gray.

This weekend I am painting my calipers red. I love the fact I can work on this car myself. It's a great daily car so far...although I get a few comments here and there.

People at my real estate office have made some not-too-nice comments to me, though. "How is it he can afford that?" Uhhh...I work my azz off, that's how. Not like it was all that expensive, either. People are jerks. Sick of explaining myself.

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Jealous people suck. Do you know anyone that owns a Ferrari? Borrow it for a morning and show up to work in it. :D

Nice car. Your elbows must hurt all the time.

12. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm starting to agree with the guys that say the C6 guys aren't real corvette guys. I passed a guy in a hot yellow C5, waved at him and he waved back, which was cool. Another day I pulled up next to a C6, looked over and the guy driving wouldn't even look over much less wave. I'm sure he saw me. I thought that was rather lame of him. Another day I saw a Le mans blue Z in the on coming lane and no wave either (granted we were both going pretty quickly). I hope all C6 owners really aren't like them.

13. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #63 KENCO, May 14, 2009
    Try this place, this is where I purchased mine.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/O-E-Wheels__W0QQ_armrsZ1

14. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    You know OE wheels is right by you in Sarasota? You can go there and pick them up and save some $. I've been there twice with friends. Also I THINK they do have comp grey C6 ZO6 wheels too.

15. REMIX

Funny but I showed a client their warehouse not so long ago...the owner of OE had another agent - an old codger. Might have to have a talk with him about that. LOL!

I can get those wheels for $545 from a CorvetteForum vendor out of Oklahoma. I guess I can ask and see if he'll match him.

RMX

16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout

C6's were just MADE to be BLACK. I am too picky to own a black car but man, your car is gorgeous. I had a 2005 Machine Silver convertible with cobalt interior (I have a 2008 Atomic Orange/Cashmere convertible now), the cobalt (red) interior is so cool looking combined with black, white, or silver exteriors.

As far as the wave goes, I cannot remember the last time a fellow corvette driver DIDN'T return the wave (regardless of the vintage). Maybe it's Southern corvette drivers that are working hard to maintain the tradition.

Jimmy

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Yeah, that's a nice combo he's got. Too bad he'll put so much wax on it within the next two weeks that it won't be able to move under its own power. :)

18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Nah...everyone knows that 10 coats of Zaino Z2 only weighs 3.2 pounds. And on top of that, the slicker surface lowers Cd by .0000000000002% which results in a 0-60 time that is 3/10000ths of a second quicker.

Jimmy

19. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Got three secret waves over the weekend.............

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #70 Meister, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    There is no "secret wave".

Corvette owners have been waving (regular wave) to other owners for 40-50 years....

Just like Ferrari/Porsche/Maser/Austin/Lotus/Etc owners have been waving for years.

Nothing new.

21. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #71 KENCO, Nov 10, 2009
    Oh sir you are wrong, there is a secret wave..............oh yes there is!

Gander at 4-35 my good man!

You may not know of it because it is a well guarded secret.

22. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Got three waves over the weekend!

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im the corvette guy that doesnt wave back ;)

Not intentional but come on....I have to pass 20 or 30 vettes per day. I just dont notice them anymore so i dont think to wave. I usually only notuce Im being waved at at the very last second.

24. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This thread makes remember what I loved about my vette when I bought it. I'm fortunate to have a nicely kept 96 Collector's Edition. It was my first big purchase when I was able to do so. I still, after 10 years of onwership like the C4!

25. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I hope it's a 6-speed LT4!