Is there one HIP HOTEL in all of Hawaii? | FerrariChat

Is there one HIP HOTEL in all of Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by karmavore, Nov 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    My wife and I HATE resorts. We hate chains. And we can't can't find one HIP hotel in the entire archipelago.... except maybe the Hotel Hana Maui.

Are there any small boutique hotels that are modern, hip, and most of all not isolated vacation prisons?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Maybe Hawaii isn't for us... ;)

Lucas.

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Lucas

It might be that the kind of hotel that you seek is victim to same economic realities that have killed the exotic car rental business here. There have been a couple of newspaper articles here over the last week about the closure of a small Waikiki hotel that was closing due to bankruptcy. They haven't been able to make lease payments for several months now. I don't know if it could have been called "hip", but it was one of those places "where everyone knows your name". It had been in business for years and there were interviews with guests that had been coming for their annual winter vacations for 20 to 30 years. Land values and property taxes and business costs are so high that it pretty much eliminates all but the big corporations and huge hotels. There are still small hotels scattered through Waikiki, but I don't know anything about them. I suspect that they might not be as clean, comfortable, and well run as one might like.

Recently, some friends came to visit and got a B&B in Kailua. It was close to the beach and they really liked it, but it is on the other side of the island and it would certainly be a bad idea to go to the clubs and drink in Waikiki and then try to drive back to Kailua. On the other hand, Kailua and Lanikai and that side of the island have their attraction too.

In the end, a room is just a room. Get something on a high floor, enjoy the view and spend your time taking in what Hawaii has to offer.

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Is the Waikikian still open in Honolulu. It was right next door to the Ilikai Hotel. One level and very small. I loved the place in 1983. I'm sure my spelling is not correct.
    If I was going to the Big island for the first time I would try the King Kameamea Hotel right in Kona Village. That would be convenient for partying for sure. Also try Shell Vacation rentals. They own a lot of 1 and 2 bed condos in my complex and the amenities are fabulous.

4. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    The Waikikian is gone, as is the Tahitian Lanai that was part of the complex. Years ago, we had our Ferrari owners and car nuts lunches at the Tahitian Lanai once a month. It was a great open air spot, close to the ocean and right next to the pool.

Not only is the small Waikikian gone, but the Ilikai itself nearly closed last month. I think it is still operating because a last minute buyer or investor was found. The Ilikai was made famous by Hawaii 5-0 as it was used in the opening shot where an aerial camera zoomed in on Jack Lord standing on one of the upper floor lanais.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    If by hip you mean an Ian Schrager style hotel, then I don't know of one.

Most of Hawaii focuses on tradition and simplicity.

I think Sobe might be what you are looking for.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    check out renting a condo, won't necessarily have all the resort amenities (sounds like that isn't a big deal to you) but you will have something much nicer and more unique than just a hotel.

hotel rooms in Hawaii are like those in Vegas...small boxes you aren't expected to spend any time in.

7. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    Try http://www.vrbo.com. Vacation Rental By Owner. My wife and I found a really cool place on Maui this way.

8. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Thanks fellas!

I think we may go the condo/house route, the only issues being that many have nightly rates that match the nicer resorts -- Hana, Four Seasons, etc.! Ridiculous.

I don't know anything about Hawaii, but it sounds like you're going through a (necessary) economic adjustment.

I don't mind spending a lot of $$ on a hotel room, but Hawaii is surprises me that anything even decent is $500+.

I'm just surprised there's nothing hip and more reasonable-- I'm thinking the Standard Miami for instance. Something kitschy in that Hawaiian way, but hip, loaded with Euros, ect.

Anyway, if I can find a condo or house that's not teaming with bamboo furniture I'll grab it!

Lucas.

9. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Are you stuck on Hawaii? Sounds like you're looking more for something in the Caribbean. HELL of a lot closer, for sure.

10. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Not stuck. Limited experience in Caribbean (St. Lucia) and was stuck on a resort (forget the name) and got bored very quickly.

We're intrigued by Hawaii because of the (anticipated) variety -- beaches, city, volcanos, historical sites, etc.

Lucas.

11. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    The Waikiki Parc hotel offers this cool package deal:

Room & Vroom Package

Designed for travelers who crave the ultimate, undiluted driving experience the ROOM & VROOM Package changes the rules of hotel auto rentals. This adrenaline pumping three -night package includes daily breakfast for two, 24-hour rental of the Lotus Elise or Exige, complimentary valet, Lotus welcome amenity, daily housekeeping, chic room amenities, use of 'Connect' hospitality and concierge lounge, complimentary admission to Oahu's finest art and culture venues, room signing privileges at Nobu Waikiki, Halekulani restaurants and spa. Additional Lotus rentals are available with this package at special daily rates, based on availability.

2009 Rate
    Three Night Stay Additional Nights

Deluxe Ocean

$1,020.00 $339.00

Ocean View Prime

$930.00 $309.00

Ocean View Prime

$858.00 $285.00

Deluxe Mountain View

$810.00 $269.00

Additional Person

$80.00 $80.00

Includes:
    This adrenaline pumping three-night package includes one of the Parc Waikiki's newly refurbished guestrooms

Daily breakfast for Two

24-hour rental of the Lotus Elise or Exige

Complimentary valet parking for Lotus

Lotus Welcome Amenity

Additional Lotus rentals are available with this package at a special rate of $195 for the Lotus Elise (published rate of $250) and $245 for the Lotus Exige (published rate of $300) per day, based on availability

12. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Interesting! Thanks Butcher! This Lotus thing was mentioned above but I couldn't find any reference to it online.

13. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    No problem,

I hope you have a great vacation!

14. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Karmavore, you need to decide where you want to stay. Unless you are going to be in Hawaii for weeks and weeks, select one island and stay there. Start by eliminating Honolulu / Oahu, overcrowded and over developed. Now you can concentrate on Maui for amenities and nightlife, the Big Island for wide open spaces and the volcano, or Kauai for hiking and the best beaches. Your idea about a b&b is probably the best choice. Don't be afraid to negotiate. They may be asking $500 / night, but $300 is way better than nothing.

15. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Thanks GT... I think we're going to do Maui. O'hau doesn't seem to be that appealing.

16. rp456

rp456 Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    Oahu has traffic, but it also has a nightlife, shopping, and great restaurants. Everything doesn't close at 8:00 PM. If you want empty beaches, you can go to the North Shore. If your looking for a hip hotel in any of the islands, there aren't any. Halekulani is a good hotel next to the newest part of Waikiki, the Waikiki Beachwalk. Waikiki Parc is right next door. If your worried about being in an isolated vacation prison, stay on Oahu and you won't be bored.

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    +1

18. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Leaving tomorrow for Maui. Wife and I have been there (Hawaii) about 8-9 times. Don't rule out Oahu, just go to the North shore. We have stayed a few times at Turtle Bay Resort. Only a few minutes from the Bonzai Pipeline and the surfer town nearby is pretty laid back(Waimea).

Overall we are partial to Maui. We stay at a hotel/resort that just changed ownership recently. Was owned by a Japanese firm. Used to be called the Prince Hotel/Resort in Makena (south Maui). THe new name is the Makena Beach Resort (I Think) this is nearby the Fairmont and 4 Seasons Resorts. Kinda end of the line about a mile or 2 past them. We like to mostly do our own thing and have just two planned activities, private road to Hana tour and a Zipline Jungle tour. I usually try to fit in some Scuba dives as some of the best diving is right off the hotel beach. The new management is the same that manages Turtle Bay on Oahu so that was reassuring for us. About $375/night Ocean view room. Found it to be much quieter, less crowded than the 4 Seasons. 4 Seasons is fabulous but not real value (Bang for the Buck) pushing $800 to 1K/night. We don't need to be "doted on" just left alone with "service when you need it."

My wife and I also like to dine out and our experience is that Maui offers great dining.
    Nicks Fish market at the Fairmont is top shelf. Many great places in Lahaina and Wailea.

Hope my little diatribe helps!

Steve

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Waimea is on the Big Island. I wqasn't aware that there was a town by the same name on Maui.

20. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    No! There is only one actual Waimea and It's on Kauai, on the west side. The town on the Big Island is properly named Kamuela (Parker Ranch and all that). Actually, it's confusing as there are towns with the same name on several different islands. But if you look at the zip code directory, because the USPS cannot abide towns of the same name in the same state, you see the "official government" names. Of course, here in the Islands we could care less about a name. Here on Kauai most of the houses don't even have street addresses posted.
    You will have fun on Maui. Most everybody does.

21. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles

Exactly what I was thinking. The Parc I think will be for you. A friend of mine just stayed there and it definitely reminded me of a hip Miami Beach style hotel.

22. GTVeloce

GTVeloce Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    Kauai Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The Waikiki Parc..but is it really cooler and hipper than the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook? The Best of the Big Island.
    No Lotus there, but I'm guessing they could fix you up with a rusty Toyota pickup...

23. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Waimea, Wailea, whatever! My wife says I'm lucky to keep my head on straight! LOL!

Steve

24. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    been twice Ist time stayed at the Royal Hawaian.same trip rented a beach house on the island of Kauai (awesome).
    Second also rented a beach house on the Kauai island.

25. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Ok guys... we're booked at the:

* Wikii Parc - three nights (thanks for the Room & Vroom tip!!)
    * Hotel Hanna (maui) - two nights
    * La Haina Inn (maui) - four nights

Thanks for all the help!

Lucas.