Is there such a thing as a laptop that doesn't need to be replaced every few years... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is there such a thing as a laptop that doesn't need to be replaced every few years...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by kizdan, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    So far, the Asus is doing okay, although the hard drive has already been replaced under warranty. The speaker is horrible, and the fingerprint recognition login only recognizes my print maybe 15% of the time.

I've taken a completely different approach now. I finally got some cloud space when I bought an Office license, and put anything and everything on my computer on the cloud. So next time a laptop goes belly up, I just get another one and get immediate access to everything through the cloud. No more worrying about being able to recover what was lost. I keep very little on the Asus hard drive.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I know I'm late to the party, but based on personal experience the best laptop I had was a Macbook Pro running Windows 7.

I don't like OS X, but with running reliable Intel based hardware plus Windows 7 that thing was solid as a rock. Plus if there was ever a problem I could just waltz in to the Apple Store and be like "Oh you know Microsoft durr hurr hurr....screwed up my laptop!" and the people there would fix it.

At work we just bought a couple dozen Dell Inspiron laptops because they were cheap. They're of pretty flimsy construction but we figured we'd roll the dice and see if they'll last a year-ish.

Doing what you're doing with the Office 365 in the cloud is a great idea. I have mostly done the same. I still use Office installed locally but do keep almost all my important stuff in the cloud.

3. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Hopefully the Asus will last awhile for you. I agree with GD, the cloud has some real benefits especially when it comes to backups and access to your data from anywhere there is an internet connection.

Just a suggestion, if you aren't already; keep a local copy of your critical files as well. I have backups and then backups of my most critical files. You can just grab an inexpensive USB stick and use that if you want.

And you might want to consider encryption/password protection if you have sensitive data and want to keep it from prying eyes. Not a laptop issue, I just like to remind people about security. Keep up to date with your software patches, use good passwords and don't reuse them, virus protection, and encrypt sensitive data. What did I forget, oh yeah, brush and floss every night.

Sorry, my kids think I'm paranoid when it comes to computer security. But I see a lot of stuff that just shouldn't have happened. And as always, just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Cheers

4. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    you're not your haha

5. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I just replaced the screen and then the hard drive in my Lenovo. I consider them like a drop phone from Seven Eleven!!!!! Really ticks me off, I lost a lot of pictures in the hard drive crash.......................................

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was replacing my Dell/Alienware every 18 months falling apart plus Microsoft software problems/malware, but got Mac Pro over 3 years ago and haven't had single problem or virus.

7. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    2009 Macbook Pro. Still running like a champ with no issues. I have no idea what I'll replace it with, though.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Umm, that’s really easy. :)

Protouring442 likes this.
  9. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Well... yeah... okay...

10. Axion23

Axion23 Karting

Sep 24, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    G
    I think it's finally time to replace my 2011 Macbook Pro. I've already upgraded the ram and added an SSD... but trying to edit HD video on this thing just isn't cutting it. I can't even preview most video files without it being totally glitchy. This machine has been great... but unfortunately I need something with a better processor and graphics card.

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    So...get another. They are the most mechanically reliable laptops out there.

rob lay likes this.
  12. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012),
    2.5 GHz Intel Core i5,
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
    128 GB SSD

Runs like a champ, never a problem

MB

13. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I have a couple of old Lenovo Thinkpads from 2008 and 2009. I use them in the garage (think dust, heat, cold, and fluid spills) and around the kitchen (similar but less dust and cold). None have missed a beat. As mentioned earlier, getting a sturdier (if heavier) frame helps from a longevity standpoint, and running older but proven software (Windows 7) helps on the reliability front too. YMMV