Is this a joke? | FerrariChat

Is this a joke?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by MikeAR303, Feb 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I noticed they started raising tolls again on my way home from a snowmobiling trip to Wisconsin this past weekend... and decided to check out the Illinois Toll website.

I found this:
    http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=57,1298961,57_1299188&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

There's no way people could possibly be that stupid. If they're not making every one of those up, my general view of human beings just got even lower... something I and anyone who knows me would have never thought possible.

...and if you click the link instructing you to tell them you love getting electronically pick pocketed, you'll find this (pay close attention to the title in the top bar of your browser):
    http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=57,1299003&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Mike, I guess I don't get the point you're making. I have an Ipass in my Ferrari and totally love it: I don't care what the paytoll costs as long as I don't have to stand in line. Isn't that what these people are saying or what am I missing that upset you?

3. srika

srika Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    :werd: I have a IPass in my SLR and its great for toolbooths because I dont have to open the large door to access the toolbooth. But since I have a SLR I stop in the toolbooth anyway just so I can do an acceleeration test!

4. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yes, I also find it kind of disheartening, that these people are crying out the wonderous benefit, of not having to stop their cars to be robbed. They should be screaming out for the abolishment of the toll-roads. Then they wouldn't have to stop their cars either.

I still avoid the Tri-State tollway, whenever it is reasonable. I just have a thing about continually paying for a road that should have been paid off 30+ years ago, by their own estimates and promises.

Yet, we have the rogue Illinois State Toll Highway Toll Highway Authority at the helm, which of course has self preservation as it's foremost interest. If we do away with the toll roads, we don't need them do we? Their second priority is their posh office building. The former director had more than $50K spent on his desk and chair, he also had a number of paintings by the old masters adorning his walls (said to be worth millions each).

They built the toll road with the assistance of private funding from bond purchasers, (read connected friends). Then they say, we built the road with private money, we have to pay the bond holders back and pay and pay and pay. I am sure that the beneficiaries, of this eternal jackpot payout, are quite amused by the fact that the people of the state have done nothing to stop this fleecing, they just sit back and reap the ongoing windfall.

5. srika

srika Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    I agree, they should just do away with those tool roads.

6. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    "I don't care what tolls cost"

This is exactly the attitude displayed by most people in this state, which allows the scumbags responsible for stealing our money to DOUBLE the already ridiculous tolls and get away with it. It's not the cost of the tolls that bothers me, it's the principle. What am I getting for the money I'm paying them? More toll booths? More eternal lane closures due to idiotic, half assed road construction projects on roads which didn't have anything wrong with them to begin with? Vans with speed cameras in them which can be randomly placed and moved daily?

THANK YOU, ILLINOIS TOLLWAY!!!

7. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I also have an I-Pass, it is better to not have to stop but my objection isn't the amount I have to pay, it's that I have to pay at all. Illinois has some of the highest taxes in the country, the northern part of Illinois, has the highest taxes in the state. What do we get for it? Toll roads!! Where patronage "workers", family and friends, collect the cash, do the maintenance and the administration lounges in their "Offices of the Rich and Famous". They keep coming up with "improvements" to the existing and ideas for more new toll roads, to repeatedly extend the life span of the ITHA and expand their nepotism.

If I was one of the bond holders, maybe I wouldn't be so objectionable :D

Except in the case of overspending, "There's entirely too much roadwork going on around here, they're squandering my dividend!!" :D

8. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Bunch of damn crooks - I bet they don't post my response!

Anyway, RFID transmitters in your car allow the THA to track and log your vehicle's whereabouts on the system - forever. Soon they will start comparing Pt. A to Pt. B times and start open road ticketing.

9. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    That's ok, because they are going to sell the tollways to a private operator anyway. I guess then the toll authority will not exist.

Wait, I think the toll authority will have to over see the private operator. There goes increase in tolls and/or taxes.

What a great highway system we have.

The testomonials are really just adds for the re-election of our Gov.

10. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just be glad you didn't have to pay them when you crossed the border into out lovely state, as so many people from your state do.

I STILL can't figure out why WE (Wisconsinites) have to pay the HIGHEST tolls at the border of your state, every time I want to go down to Chicago, yet there are NONE for Illinois people crossing into OUR state. I have wondered for YEARS why we don't have a FAT $1 toll at our gates........

The congestion in our state on Sunday afternoons due to Illinois tourists is sickening all summer long. If we have to pay, why not you.

Sorry about the rant. I will just always remember a college friend from Chicago's burbs and I debating all this back in the day. I was complaining that Chicago people coming up and buying have raised our rates on our homes, especially lake property, making them impossible to afford. I brought up Lake Geneva as an example. He blurted out.......

"If it wasn't for Chicago people, you guys wouldn't HAVE Lake Geneva!!!"

I then proceeded to say,

"Sure we would. It would be a big, beautiful, quiet, clean lake!!! I forget......when did YOU guys dig the hole??"

He didn't have much to say after that.....

11. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Bill - I was considering re-plating one of my cars in Wisconsin to "avoid" Illinois road tolls - what happens if Wisconsin-plated cars blow through the open road tolling with no ipass (assuming no smokey bears around to see it firsthand)?

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok Mike I see your point. Of course not paying a tax vs paying one always wins, no question.

As a European I'm just so used to being taxed for road usage, that I don't even think about it anymore and am actually happy the deed can be done without stopping.

France and Italy have toll booths and in Switzerland you pay annually for highway usage (a tax that the Swiss VOLUNTEERED to have, now that's crazy). Austria wants $$$ for every tunnel through the alps. The list goes on and on.

So in comparison I like Ipass. As far as the Govt knowing my whereabouts, well so friggin what. They can put a transponder on me and my car if it is that important to them. They'll soon realize how ordinary my life is. And as far figuring out speeds I'm doing are concerned: The Italians and French invented that as a sidekick to their toll booths a long time ago, which is why I normally scratch out the timestamp while in Europe. Here in the US we're bound to hit another traffic jam anyway and out the window goes your time.

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Not sure actually. My wife and I actually went through one of the IPass tolls on accident (we were too far committed to the lane by the time we realized where we were). We called the service and they gave us the address to send the money to. We did.

On the other hand, I was towed at O'Hare once. I was dropping my sister off for her flight back to Spain (She lives there) and helped her bring her bags into the airport. Flashers were on. I walked her in, and, in two minutes, already had a guy outside with my car on the rig. I don't know how he got there and got it hooked up so fast. Guy should have been a thief, would have made a good one!!

Anyway, I ran out and he ran into his truck and shut and locked the door. I was yelling for him to give me my car back and he wouldn't even look over which infuriated me. I pounded on the window and he started driving off with me running down the street punching his window (at this point, I was trying to break it!!) but it was hard since I was almost sprinting by now... ;-)

Bottom line, is that I took the tram to the impound area and was supposed to pay cash to get my car out. I then had to walk to the nearest hotel to find an ATM. Mind you, this was January and it was single digit temps that night. Insane. I had ZERO cash and ZERO jacket (it was in the car since I only walked her into the airport for about 2 minutes).

Anyway, I had to pay the $80 or so to get my car out of impound and was also ticketed somewhere around $100 by the City of Chicago. The HELL I was paying that. I left without paying and never have. To this day, I will not pay it. It has never come up again. Not with me switching to a new company (and new company car where they run your records). Not with me getting new insurance (on the Ferrari). Do I think they track those things?? I have NO idea.......

But anytime, you can screw "the man" I am all for it!!!

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    O'Hare is probably a different issue and has nothing to do with your license plates. They make a killing out of towing in the city and with the new anti terror hysteria they now got any excuse to tow you the moment you stop at O'Hare.

You were lucky you actually saw the tow truck so you would know where to go. We once were towed and didn't even know by what company. Had to call around until somebody would even find our car. In the middle of the night.

Chicago is notoriously bad with keeping records on tickets. I'm always stunned when they give amnesty to people with dozens of tickets. In Europe they would have impounded your car and plates a long time ago. If not taken the owner right to jail. So you're probably safe on those 100 bucks.

OTOH I got a speeding ticket in Italy (sent to my US home) and actually paid it. You never know what happens next time you cross into that border.

15. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    This quote reminds me...

I got a "speeding" ticket there. I was going 32 in a 45, but "didn't show any signs of slowing down," 30 yards before the 25 mph limit. WTF? I told him about how I was living there for the summer, ( as my family had a home there and I was in town for school related activities, ) and knew each road backwards and forwards due to my living/schooling in the area. It was to no avail because, and I swear to God by this, his first words while walking up to my car were, " Well I see you're from Illinois." Again, WTF?

But what is the worst is that he even questioned me what I was doing in his state, as if I was just another FIB up there to trash the place. He was questioning me as he was writing up the citation. The sad, I mean deplorable reason for me to be there was that I was in town for a PR act for a military academy, as a select group of cadets from the local military school would go to the local retirement home and read/watch tv/keep company to the older people who's family was already past or simply forgot about them. He didn't buy it despite my acad ring and uniform in the seat beside me.

A buck for going into WI? I still think that whole state owes me $120 and a sky written "Im sorry," due to that Pig of a cop. I respect any policeman for their work, even one of my good friends is a state trooper. I admire their thankless job and wish them well... except for that one in Fontana. Pure scum looking to make his quota and disrespecting a local establishment and the honor a cop would deserve. Sorry for my rant but even ten years Im still upset over it. Do I have a right to be?

RocketBoy

16. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Years ago I used to have a S class Benz. For some reason the thick windshield prevented the Ipass from being able to get the signal feed. No matter of smokey bears, I was sent a photo of my car going through an I-pass lane. Despite that car being registered as an Ipass user, and you can see me raising the actual I-pass against the windshield, I was still sent the ticket.

Problem solved when I sent either Idot or the State a copy of my registration, email correspondence between me and Idot on why it didn't work, and a letter from my local dealer explaining how they had similar customers having the same problem. Ticket went away, which wasn't high to begin with if I recall, maybe even the amount of the toll.

Overall solution no fun: having to stick my arm out the sunroof with the I-pass. In the dead of winter, you better be wearing a glove... especially crossing into Wisconsin where it seriously seems 10 degrees colder at the signs marked "state line."

No Smokeys needed in my case, the photo doo-hickimabobs were working.

RocketBoy

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Before we get too much ahead of ourselves in a IL vs WI battle: Years ago I was caught speeding in WI. As the officer walks up to the car he sees the sticker supporting my local police force. He let me off the hook without a ticket and made a comment about supporting the police.

This courtesy is unthinkable in Europe. Did I mention that I love the US? You guys can keep complaining about our Govt and police etc, but you really don't realize how lucky we are in comparison. Every American ought to spend a year in Europe. You'd appreciate your home country twice as much thereafter.
    :)

18. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I actually know quite a few people who have done just that... and most of them hated coming back.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wow! What can I say? People are different I suppose. I left that continent for a variety of good reasons and never looked back. Going there as a tourist is wonderful, living there a different story.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    (puts on f-chat detective hat)

Can all this be verified?
    Is there a money trail?
    What happened to said items after he left office?
    What is his name?

21. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The second sentence here tells me that you're not getting my point at all.

What I'm saying is that if they're going to charge me to use the roads, those roads had better be well maintained and a ****ing joy to drive on. They should not be in a constant state of ruin, peppered with speed camera vans and overweight, lazy, quota filling scumbag state troopers looking for someone to pull over so the state still thinks they're a valuable asset to the force.

Just to make it clear once more... I don't mind paying money for something if I'm getting my money's worth.

22. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

This was big news at the time, it was all over the TV and the papers. The only references I have been able to find for you mention other scams associated with a tollway director and I don't even know if it was the same one.

http://rockfordtransportation.org/downloads/HeavyTollRobert%20Heuer.htm

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    One of my old Biker buds., "Bonyar" used to Flip off the "Thank-You for using the Illinois Tollway" sign every time he passed it. So, we all do it now. Just one teeny little way to make us feel better about it, I guess....:)

But, when you think about it. The roads are pretty smooth on the Tollway. And, they do get salt out on it right away when it's needed. Sure, these things are SUPPOSED to be covered by our Tax Dollars. But, there usually isn't enough money left for roads after the Politicians all get their hands in it.

My favorite bumper sticker: "Don't Steal...the Government hates competition!"

24. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    I do remember hearing awhile back about one of the "good old boys" at the top having a $14,000 umbrella stand and a 24k Gold Garbage can!

It has to be one of the worst if not the worst road in America for the distance of it! I know some places have a higher est. time to travel to work a day like LA, but I-90 doesn't start to clear up till your almost at the border of Wisconsin!

25. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My sister sure likes the sunny Meditteranean shores of southern Spain (Malaga). I don't see her buying a plane ticket back anytime soon.