Is this boat sale for real? | FerrariChat

Is this boat sale for real?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by GTHill, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
  2. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Sadly that’s all she’s worth. No real market for these. Was a decent boat back in the day. Would make a nice Miami Vice project for someone with some cash to burn.

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Interesting. I'm not a buyer because I wouldn't know what to do with it but seems like it would be a fun project. Like I need another one of those. :)

4. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    vraa likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    70 gallons per hour, rebuild outdrives etc, not much room, not that fast, what do you do with it.
    A modern outboard powered center consol, sportfish, outboard cruiser, is faster, smoother, quieter, has 99% less maintanance, and has multiple uses from cruising to fishing to speed, is better in waves and has room for a group. If you want to go fast with the V8 bada bada sound, a cat hulled boat will be far faster in smooth water.
    Plus the older vhulls had wooden stringers, wooden transoms so rot is major issue, and chris crafts and wellcrafts were not that sturdy or well built, think period chrysler..
    With the power that boat has, its probabaly will struggle to crack 60.

If one likes the monohull twin v8 thing a repowered fountain or velocity is a great way to go fast and it wont break up in the ocean.
    Down the scale a donzi classic offers similar noise thrills and resale and woks great in lake or light sea.

In a modern setup a tuff 28 with twin outboards will acheive well over 100mph.

All of which explains why the chris craft is so inexpesive, and why you could easily end up spending 20-50K getting it right and still having basicaly whats a slow boat that looks and sounds cool on lake.

Wikdstrate and SCFerrari like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    One can buy a 15+ yo outboard powered CC sportfish and repower with new outboards, then have boat that will last another 15 years with no hassle.

If you don't like cc sportfish Here's the 21st century way to go,
    https://www.tuffboats.com/tuff-28

7. daskaman

daskaman Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew daszkiewicz
    Horrible money pits and the experience is love it or hate it.
    Unfortunately/fortunately I grew up around them, so along came the curse of me loving them

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's like a lot of things, it's time...1983........a low point for a lot of things mechanical..

Go get a new Cigarette 30'. and romp on.

Cigarette followed much the same path bigger and bigger and more and more, until they were huge cash sinks.
    I check the ads to the Michael Peter's designed 35', race boat no lower cabin..

But I missed my dream on a repowered Cafe Racer 36' (ironically NOT a race boat, full interior and cabin below) and missed the deal on a "like new" 1991.
    $55K on the trailer, it had new engines so basically they were giving the boat/trailer away free....Great Lakes boat stored winters it was very nice.

So as people are saying there ARE good deals out there (tons needing fresh power) but going too far back is a big mistake.
    Also colors are highly variable, simple paint jobs with black are grey are classy.
    Multi colored circus wagon swirlies, not so much...

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Careful, a new Mercury 175 are $20K, each