Is this the F50 GT1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is this the F50 GT1

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by AHMTHSSN, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I read when Ferrari made 001 they said it was and would be the only 1, then they made 002, and said the same and then 003 and then Ferrari got sued and had to destroy the remaining tubs

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The tub is a standard F50 part so that would have been a little extreme. It was almost every other part that was different.

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

In retrospect I may have been talking out of turn when I said that about the tub. I believe the red headed step child would know for sure, for reasons that I won't go into here. YO, RICH YOU THERE ? But I do know as fact that the owner and Ferrari SPA have a very good relationship and I don't believe any legal action or threats thereof ever took place. YO, RICH.

4. Ferrari01974

Ferrari01974 Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    NRV
    If i remember correctly the Australian guy bought it about 6 years ago. I remember seeing it on the National news. Paid a few Million for it if i believe.

Nick

5. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

no way was it 6 years ago. It was about 3 - 4

6. keof50

keof50 Karting

Jun 24, 2004
    UK
    what would you need to do, to get a F50 GT street legal, or would it be easier to buy a F50 and drop the GT engine init and make it look like a GT

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You have got to be kidding me.

8. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    How does someone find out about cars like the F50 GT1 from the factory? Do you basically just sign up for cars that Ferrari and their designers want to build for fun or show and then you are lucky enough to get a call?

Joe C.

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure, i think it would go along the lines of someone hearing a rumor about a new race car then asking the factory. If you are a valued customer they might tell you, they might not.

10. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I am here....lil late..but here.

The F50 GT1 tub is not standard F50. The center tunnel is different for the s gearbox linkage from what I understand.(Mr. Cox told me this.) What I have heard is that they had to make a new tub for Art. Not 100% sure of that, rumors abound on this one!

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am glad I asked. When we talked about the poss of a new tub I thought I recalled being told it was a standard part.

12. XLARGEUSA

XLARGEUSA Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    So no one has any information on the F50 GT that was at Symbolic Motors in La Jolla, CA. I saw it in the back and I don't think it was for sale. Just curious to know which # that one was and where it ended up. Its no longer there. I believe i saw it there in 1998 or 1999.

13. fastautos

fastautos Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Drew Phillips
    I saw it at Symbolic as well. I was always under the impression that it was 001 - but now I'm not so sure. When I was there it had a "Sold - $1.9 million" sign on the front windshield.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I was aware of that car when it was at Symbolic. It was in 99 or 2000. I don't know what #it was but we sent a mechanic to inspect it for a prospective buyer. At the same time I know #1 was in this area so I know for sure it was not #1. Art has been the only owner and has never entertained selling it. Nor has it ever ever left his posession except for service or repair.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I thought Spiro's car was also delivered thru CA, with driving lessons......

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ...back to the future/past...

[This is 003 that I had to pleasure to be with when brought to Willow Springs for the first "test" in the US. It's faster than my LM, I must admit !!! My friend Jim called me one day and said that he bought one and we all went to Cal. to
    test her.] Roland Linder, page 1, this thread!

Speedy -
    this threads 'bout done! ;-)
    james

17. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    This is correct, oo3 was delivered aty Willow and I had the pleasure to be Jim's instructor that day. We had also a F50 and a 206..What a day !!!
    Roland
    F40LM

18. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Roland...Did you get to drive the car? If so I'm sure everyone including myself would love to hear your thoughts.

19. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    What an amazing machine!

20. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    #45 fuse, Sep 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    It crashed at Laguna this year, during the FCA national. That picture is of the main straight of Laguna, heading backwards. Last year, the shunt happend at Sears.

22. CTEV2

CTEV2 Karting

Feb 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Charlie Thomas

Turn 11 will get you EVERY time!

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Seven figures repair ?? 1000 000$+ repair ???

And why the Schumacher autograph ? He never raced the car !

24. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I had the pleasure of running 003 while in Australia. It's an amazing machine. I can't even begin to understand what it must be like to smash one of these....twice!

We only ran 003 once at Phillip Island, and that was it.

25. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Very few lucky one were able to sit in that car. Phil knows what this all about. The gear box is just phenomenal with the sequential shifting.
    Power is right there all the time in almost any gear. The sound is any V12 all open. The cockpit is very comfortable even for my 6'3.Once the brakes are warm(hot), you have a hard pedal to press but it stops way before you're to your braking point.
    That car could have been a major player in the FIA...It didn't happen. To bad!! This has nothing to do with the street F50...It's even more different than the F40 versus the F40LM.
    Roland
    F40LM