Is this the standard of Concourses in the future??? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Is this the standard of Concourses in the future???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Horse, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    THE low point.

2. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Idiot QLD'ers :)

Steve355F1 and Maranello550 like this.
  3. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Because I wasn't there, of course. :(

4. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    There is no "hazy gap". A car that is 100% original will beat a restored car, regardless of stone chips or worn leather. Put two completely originals cars side by side and the one in the best condition will win. Put the same cars in the same condition side by side and the cleanest one will win.

That doesn't mean that you enter a car having made no effort to prepare it, the idea is that concorso encourages the preservation of Ferraris and that includes caring for the cosmetics.

The challenge for judges is that it's never as simple as two cars with the same level of originality and that's where the judgement calls have to be made.

5. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

Not that IGAF but the argument from the QLDers re the new points system loses all credibility because of that. The QLD division should issue a public retraction of that award and an apology to Moretti :p

6. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    **** stirrer!

7. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yep, quiet day at work :D

8. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Any pics? :eek:

9. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    fixed :eek:

10. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  11. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  12. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  13. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Someone should have told him its a hip flask........Not an Ass Flask....... :)

greg246 likes this.
  14. Nereus

Nereus Rookie

Dec 18, 2010
    Tasmania
    Ian, that highlights one of the dilemmas. As I understand it under the new system a car is judged against itself (in original ex-Maranello spec), not against other cars. Is it right to rephrase the above to say that a clean original car will always receive at least a silver award over a cleaner but less original car? The issue for me is quite practical: in the ordinary course of events I would get my car resprayed and eventually retrimmed, but I have not done so and am reluctant to do so because it is original (apart from the front spoiler and numerous badly touched up paint chips.)

15. Nereus

Nereus Rookie

Dec 18, 2010
    Tasmania
    Simon, I'm back from PNG - must change that! There are a couple of Ferrari owners up there, though I think both may be packing up soon too. One is a fellow Tasmanian. Did not run in to your mate, only made it to the highlands once. We did not find the physical environment too difficult (many do), but as a country it has its challenges. Some of the old timers have done very well; others are doing it very tough.

16. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No.
    Some stonechips and wear on seat bolsters is not going to prohibit you winning a platinum, these do not detract from originality and are simply signs of use.
    There is a very good article in the current issue of Cavallino magazine that covers the IAC / PFA judging rules.
    Some common issues that lose points are aftermarket exhausts, non original re-trim ( ie leather seats in a Dino when original was vinyl), nylon carpets, aftermarket stereo with holes cut in the doors for speakers, non original style hoses ( ie braided "aeroquip" style), e-tag or a go-pro mount on windscreen, polished or painted cam covers in 308's, aftermarket wheels or Ferrari wheels but not for that model.
    When you have cars that are in some cases are 40 or 50 years old they will have had many owners and the current owner won't know what has been changed under prior ownership, many assume their car must be "original" because they've never changed it while in their ownnersip and don't have experience with the cars or the background information ( ie reference library, original sales documentation/brochures) to know any better.

M

17. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don’t care about concourse, but those rules seem a little strange and totally superficial to me.

Are owners expected to pay through the nose every few years to buy yet another set of headers from Ferrari which we all know are made of alfoil?

Or any of the many other inferior, rubbish, overpriced OEM parts just because they could be seen by the judges?

What about all of the parts that can’t be seen? Is that ok? How does that make sense?

eg. there are any number of superior Hill Engineering parts that I could have on my car and no-one would ever know (clutch release bearing, flywheel, etc.)

Hell, someone could even have a totally non-original engine management system.
    How would the judges know?

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    These sort concorso standards are pretty much universal across marques and events. Obvioulsy judges don't have x-ray vision so yes, it's possible to disguise some things. Internal mechanical components are not judged.
    As you say, you don't care about concorso and that's fine, no-one is forcing anyone to participate. Maintaining a car in as close to original condition as possible is a lot of effort and can also be stupidly expensive but some owners find it extremely satisfying to have such a car.

Rosey, knocker and MAD828 like this.
  19. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Those owners are nuts .................... saying that , my car is completely original o_O:cool:

Steve355F1 likes this.
  20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I agree....and same here.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  21. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fair enough.

So we’ve established that these cars are full of inferior parts which are unreliable and rubbish.

But because you can take home a $20 trophy they’re apparently worth 25-50% more than a better car.

Got it. Gee Ferrari owners are weird. :confused:

Or maybe it’s this kind of stupidity that sees ever dwindling entries into concourse?
    It’s strictly for pedants and those with an eye to a forthcoming sale?

greg246 likes this.
  22. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Ding ding, we have a winner

Maranello550, Steve355F1 and greg246 like this.
  23. kena

kena Formula 3

May 20, 2007
    Salt Ash
    Full Name:
    Ken Abrahams
    I've been told Giovanni puts the hoses on the engines then Luigi follows along making sure the screw driver slots are all parallel to the said hose. No wonder Ferraris are so expensive to buy.

24. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    No, I don't

kena and greg246 like this.
  25. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You just line your horses up on the hub caps :)