ISO: A very specific 89’ Giallo Fly/Tan Testarossa! | FerrariChat

ISO: A very specific 89’ Giallo Fly/Tan Testarossa!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Zimmy_arts, Jan 15, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zimmy_arts

Zimmy_arts Rookie

Jan 15, 2023
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Samantha Zimmermann
    Hey all!

While this may be a bit of a long shot, I’m hoping it may reach the right person.

My grandfather, Airforce Brig. General Vernon Rod Tate ordered an 89’ Giallo Fly Yellow over Tan Testarossa in Maryland. He eventually sold the car, and it ended up in Indiana. Out of curiosity I did some digging into where it may have landed. In 2020 it was sold through RM at their Palm Beach auction!

I called RM, they have supposedly passed on my information to the buyer. As far as any further information, the car is (or was at the time of sale), in the US.

I would love to know where it ended up, and to be able to buy it back if the collector ever decided to sell it! To at least maybe be taken into consideration for that purchase in the future would mean the world to me.

Being the eldest grandchild, I seem to have been the one to get all of the “car loving genes”. My grandfather and I were very close, and it would be wonderful to have it back in the family. A common theme is our favorite color as well- yellow.

Below is the RM Listing, which includes the VIN. I do plan to reach out to Indiana’s Ferrari Club Chapter to hopefully establish some history as well.

Thank you all in advance for the help!

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/fl20/palm-beach/lots/r0188-1989-ferrari-testarossa/852878

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Awesome story. Check the car fax too.

3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Zimmy_arts and ryalex like this.
  4. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Zimmy_arts likes this.
  5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James

the owner's name is in this video.

Attached Files:

Zimmy_arts likes this.
  6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Cool story, I hope you reconnect with the car.

Side trivia I looked up the historical value of that price and it would be about $348k in today’s dollars. Still a little shocking that prices for the V12 is ~25% higher than even base inflation. What was flagship V12 money is barely enough for a V8 now.

Zimmy_arts likes this.
  7. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Great find on the video and Monroney label! Interesting that it has crema leather and not tan, as the OP stated. The placard in the video says Frank Rubino, of Pinecrest, FL. Looks like he is likely an attorney who lives in Pinecrest (address is readily available online) and practices nearby in Coral Gables, FL. Email: [email protected]. Contact info is online at https://www.frankrubino.com/about-us/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ryalex and Zimmy_arts like this.
  8. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
  9. Zimmy_arts

Zimmy_arts Rookie

Jan 15, 2023
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Samantha Zimmermann
    A massive thank you to everyone who took the time to search- especially gt1995!

As of now I did go ahead and send Frank an email- hopefully he doesn’t find my digging offensive.
    It seems that we run very closely in the same circles too!

I’ll keep you all posted on what he says! Fingers crossed!

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wish you good luck to get a family member back

Zimmy_arts likes this.