Wanted - ISO low mileage 308 QV | FerrariChat

Wanted ISO low mileage 308 QV

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by judd10, Sep 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I'm looking for an '85 red/tan QV with low miles (preferably sub 15k documented miles). Prefer to have as close to stock as possible. Greatly appreciate any leads! Thx!

myronx19 likes this.
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Just curious why you seek specifically very low miles?

Are you going to use the car or just want one barely used as a collectors item

3. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    More the latter... I'm not the kind of guy who has to drive it everywhere, but more just enjoy detailing and admiring the lines (not much of an emotional connection for me to the newer models). I have a 355 and a 991 Porsche targa as my more frequently driven cars, but I actually drive those cars less than 1k miles a year. I just enjoy owning nicely preserved cars.

myronx19 and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Surely if you only want the car to polish it does not matter what mileage it has provided it is in good condition cosmetically

dwhite likes this.
  5. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    As I’ve just passed 50, my philosophy is now shifting towards “life is short; just enjoy it”. I’m now optimizing more around what makes me happy vs what’s practical. :)

carguy246, Cuddy K and mcimino like this.
  6. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    There is this car offered in here. I was going for it, but I end up with a 328.
    IMHO it looks as a great car at a good price.

I'm not sure if by ISO, you meant EURO .... or what it means. this is not euro

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-first-redhead.647039/

7. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
  8. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    By ISO, I meant "In Search of". I do prefer US spec. Thx for the lead! that's a very nice looking car, but right now I'm looking more for something in the 5 to 15k mile range.

myronx19 and RodC328gts like this.
  9. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Still looking and would appreciate any other leads. Happy holidays all!

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good for you. I am the same. I prefer getting a hotel room after they have cleaned it up too.

I don't mind a patina, it just needs to be my patina.

Thomas Magnum and judd10 like this.
  11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    This doesn't make any sense :confused:

If life is now: "short, just enjoy it", then surely the point of enjoying a Ferrari fully is to drive it, enjoy the experience of driving it, and not worry about it's mileage or future value?

Anyone wanting to own a super low mileage classic Ferrari that will rarely be driven, if ever, and just be dusted from time to time, is just a speculator, hoping the value of the car will go up, to make money on it later on.

That's not a car enthusiast - That's a money enthusiast.

Banzairacer likes this.
  12. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan

Everyone has their own motivations for their expectations. There are museum pieces out there but they’re not going to be inexpensive and therefore the appreciation in investment will be asymptotic at best over the next 25 years (for a current 50 Year Old) of course if one lives into their 90s or 100s then the appreciation prior to expiration is not limited. Can be like the 72 Dino’s.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I drive everything I own. My 308 has 126,000 miles. In fact I only have one car under 100,000, and it just hit 90K.

If I want to look at one and not drive it I'll put a picture on the wall.

Life IS short. I'm not saving **** for the next owner.

14. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #14 judd10, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    I would equate the car to fine art. It's there to appreciate, and different people appreciate things in different ways. I would appreciate opening up the garage every day to a time capsule car that I admired in my childhood. Helps bring back fond memories and emotions. I don't need to be seen in it or drive it every day to enjoy it. Actually, I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of just washing it, detailing it and admiring the lines... and taking it out on special occasions like the local Italian or Ferrari Day, etc.

For driving enjoyment, I'm perfectly content driving my 355 or Porsche 991 targa. the latter is a lot more subtle and I prefer not attracting a ton of attention. Again, different strokes for different folks... I don't judge others' preferences or differences; I celebrate and appreciate them... different people have different ways of enjoying the same toy. I have no issues with you disagreeing with me or judging my preferences; that's your prerogative. And I was the CFO of a $2b portable alpha hedge fund for almost a decade.... trust me, I don't view any of these cars as investments... Their prices tend to fluctuate with beta. For investing, I am more focused on alpha returns and trust me there are much higher alpha returns to be sought elsewhere. Ha ha! Cheers!

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same here, I paid so much money (at least for me) for my car I’ll be damn not to enjoy my money.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #16 Rifledriver, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    No. That is your definition of enjoyment or are you so egocentric to believe everyone in the world must agree or they are wrong?

Jesus Christ, let others have their own ****ing opinions.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is just idiotic. We bought a TR with under 1000 miles for 3/8 of its purchase price and have driven it considerably. It has probably doubled in value.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    It it possible, just possible other enjoy things in ways you do not? Is that allowed or are you that closed minded?

Do you buy your clothes at the Goodwill or do you prefer them to look new? Do you mind getting a hotel room with an unmade bed and dirty sheets?

If any of you have a single piece of artwork hanging on the wall you are lying to yourself and us.

Mantissb likes this.
  19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Show me where I said it is not possible for others to enjoy differently than me.

I was speaking for myself.

I dive the hell out of everything I own and pile up the miles with no regard whatsoever to the next owner. I am giving them MY patina.

I do that because it makes ME happy.

I dont care how it makes anyone else feel.

Why should I ? Lol

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Then why the obvious animosity? No one cares what you choose to do. A little reciprocity is in order.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Apologies

I thought I upset you

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nothing I won't get over but every time someone on here wants a very clean, very low mile car they get ganged up on because so many express in some way they are not worthy Ferrari owners because they are not planning on driving the car until it drops. Why? Do we get our validation because everyone does and believes the same as we do? Cant we be grown up enough to accept other who want to do something a little differently? Are we that insecure?

Shouldn't it be enough they love cars and Ferrari is one?

I am also told buying one of that description is a bad value. Like the idiot above. Thats complete BS. Like I just said we bought a like new TR with under 1000 miles for 3/8s of what it sold for new. We got a new TR on the cheap and have driven it ever since and it is worth considerably more but the experts here say that doesn't happen.

Really tired of people imposing their values on others and really tired of the moron experts.

judd10 and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    This is an interesting thing I've noticed, why is it easier to stumble upon a low mile TR over the 308? My first guess would be possibly value related... But I don't know it's not like TR's we're/are crazy valuations.

I get the feeling the one the OP is looking for is sitting in a private collection, I wish him luck in tracking one down.

I've only had one low milage 308 the OP is looking for come thru, don't recall the exact number but it was below 20k miles, concourse winning QV, sent over for loads of modifications. Hey whatever floats the owners boat. Everything else has been 30k miles and up... With condition and care all over the map, as I'm very sure you've seen and are aware of as well, milage isn't everything.

Reminds me of this guy ages ago who built a wharehouse for his Corvette collection, had multiples of every yr mfg and multiples of the special editions...etc.. fascinating car collector, loads of buildings stuffed with vehicles. He simply liked collecting cars. Never sold one. Life size hot wheel hobby. His 60's era dragster collection was sublime though...

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Roger that

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He was a loser who didn't deserve the cars.