issues with 2012 Califonias | FerrariChat

issues with 2012 Califonias

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cpoferrari, Sep 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cpoferrari

cpoferrari Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Was planning on buying a California after just selling my 2004 360. I really don't want maintenance issues like I had with the 360.

Can someone provide some insight into maintenance issues with California's? I have heard of problems with dual clutch (DCT). 3500 miles. I also was told to not buy any year before 2013. Thoughts?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. cpoferrari

cpoferrari Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    A few comments from last year and not specific for years.

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cali 30 was 2013-14 Google the road tests and you can compare the earlier years +30 HP and 30 less pounds, revised gear ratio etc. are nice. Also conventional wisdom seems to be the many of the DCT sensor failures were addressed/improved with newer builds. Best advice no matter which Ferrari Model you decide to buy get a PPI. I went Cali t and we absolutely love it. Awesome car, no issues.

5. cpoferrari

cpoferrari Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    I'm looking at a Ferrari dealer car and he said that a PPI will not catch a DCT problem at 3500 mile car. He suggested buying a two yea warranty which basically gets me a CPO car and go through the entire car at a cost of $7,000. everything about buying another Ferrari after having a 360 is concerning.

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    On a pre-2013 I would recommend the warranty ... but most dealers are just pricing that two years of coverage into the price of the car. Try a different dealer if they will not negotiate that into the price of the car.

I put 15k miles on a 2013 and currently 13k miles on a 2015 and no transmission problems to date ... in fact, no problems at all other than a bad convertible top sensor which was covered under warranty.

7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    QUOTE="cpoferrari, post: 148084185, member: 145469"]I'm looking at a Ferrari dealer car and he said that a PPI will not catch a DCT problem at 3500 mile car. He suggested buying a two yea warranty which basically gets me a CPO car and go through the entire car at a cost of $7,000. everything about buying another Ferrari after having a 360 is concerning.[/QUOTE
    He is not wrong. Is the CPO warranty bumper to bumper or Power Warranty?
    If your 360 was F1 everything about the Cali and DCT is vastly improved. Free Maintenance for first 7 Years as well.