It had to happen, stranded for the first time in 37 years… | FerrariChat

It had to happen, stranded for the first time in 37 years…

Discussion in '612/599' started by LondonParis, Aug 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Well, you have to take the bad with the exceptional sometimes…

Image Unavailable, Please Login

She dumped all her coolant (a more accurate description is sprayed it everywhere in the engine compartment in 20 seconds) while driving about 20km from the renovation project. Given the house is truly in rural France, finding a proper tow truck on a Sunday night in August was its own special challenge. In the end, she ended up back at home in the garage and either Pozzi (closest) or SF Grand Est (selling and CPO dealer) will pick it up sometime next week to begin the repair process.

I assume the notorious coolant hose has burst as noted in many previous threads….

As noted in the thread title, it has been 37 years since I have been standing at the side of the road…not a bad run given 20 continuous years of Ferrari/Maserati ownership as well as a long list of other finicky performance cars.

We will also get a sense of how useful the power warranty is…

Bill

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'd wager 2 francs, or 200 centimes that it was hose 181599.

(of course, because neither denomination of currency is actual legal tender anymore, the risk to my wallet is quite low)

armedferret, brogenville and 599_GTO like this.
  3. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank youre lucky stars you did not buy a Range Rover Bill, you would be quite used to the breakdown scenario by now.
    Hope shes fixed soon and you are back trying out new restaurants.

599_GTO and Pawilly like this.
  4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sorry to hear that! I haven't had that hose go, but I did have a crack in my radiator after I let my brother (serious racer) drive my 612 at the track... I was able to drive it home, though. Only lost coolant at very high temperatures.

5. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    And we have a winner...

181599 split wide open...

parts and labor about 2k including tax...hourly labor rate in france is 145 per hour...

Cost of transport both ways about 1.5k, so 3.5k all in. Not covered under warranty (as expected).

Bill

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Welcome to the club, mine split this past July.

7. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    612s are noble machines ! Glad it was “just” a hose and she will be back in good health to give you many more miles of happiness.

8. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Going on vacation to Europe next month, will also travel thru rural France at some point (rental car).

How long have you had the 612? How many miles does she have, how many miles do you drive a year? Would you recommend buying such model, what’s your average cost per year (repairs included)? Asking as I’m looking into a 612 (or Cali30).

9. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    Drove her back to Paris from Mulhouse today…mix of local and autoroute…I love this 612!

It took 4 weeks in total but she is back on the road…roughly 10 days to get her to the dealer and 20 days start to finish at SF Grand Est in Mulhouse. Waiting on parts was 14 of the 20 days

Transport: 1200
    Coolant system repairs (replace 181599): 2000
    50000 km Major service including timing and auxiliary belts: 4600

Total: 7800 euros

The timing belts were not due for another 18 months but 32k km had passed since they were changed and the incremental cost once we were in there was only 1500 euros.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Every 612 should have this specific hose (181599) replaced every major service.

brogenville likes this.
  10. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    And in the “it may only interest me category”, I was not the only Ferrari owner on the train from Paris to Mulhouse today who was traveling to pick up his car at SF Grand Est. That you would happily send your car 600 km for a dealer to service when you have a very large Ferrari dealer in Paris says something…

ryalex likes this.
  11. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    That’s great news, enjoy in good health :). Thank you for the information about the cost too, I would have thought a major service including the timing belts would be more, especially in Europe.

Still looking at a 2012/2013 FF for my 1st Ferrari and daily driver (locally), nothing good yet. Prices for 2014 at $170,000 which is more than my budget (still $5,000 a year on average for repairs/maintenance). I looked at Cali30s locally and I love that beautiful model, I would be very happy with it, no problem! But my blood is boiling every time I think of a Ferrari with 4 real seats, a NA V12 and the gorgeous looks of an FF or a 612 (magnificent from all sides, including the large rear with the 4 lights, I saw one in black/stunning).

Going to Europe next week for a month, various countries, including France (Paris). I’ll have time to think… :rolleyes:

12. LondonParis

Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates