it is REVOLUTIONARY! | FerrariChat

it is REVOLUTIONARY!

Discussion in '296' started by rob lay, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. Killavata

Killavata Rookie

Jun 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Killavata
    The shape of the side windows is big meh. Reminds me of the Gtr/Ford gt.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I like it but it is very derivative.

is this a 488/F8 replacement or does it sit below that? and if so where does the Roma/PortfinoM fit in

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I hope it is its own in a new 6 category, not a F8 replacement, but the performance, looks, and price confuse that. I think a new 6 category car would have been perfect at 75% of the power and price of the F8. This is not that.

500tr and GuyIncognito like this.
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    where would an F8 replacement fit between the 296 and SF90? starting to look like the McLaren lineup :eek:

LARRYH likes this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Based on the output power of 830PS, and the overall dimensions and that it is a rear-mid-engine, despite the marketing pitch, this most assuredly is the F8 replacement. I can understand Ferrari wants people to continue ordering the F8 and not cancel pending orders.

It seems the real news is the V12 is out of the lineup, maybe to return in the FUV (and next hypercar or so it seems).

tfazio, LVP488, ScrappyB and 2 others like this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ... or they just renew what they did with the SF90, lower cylinder count but positioned above the 812... with 830 HP vs 720 for the F8, the 296 sits definitely above the F8, not below.
    But (in spite of everybody despising hybrid and the lower cylinder count) the more expensive SF90 actually killed the 812, which could only survive (so far) with the GTS.
    I wonder what will actually happen with the F8.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I think they will build as many as they can and that's it, no more non-hybrid V8s (rear-mid-engine) ever again...

Napoli likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I would think now Ferrari will offer v6,v8,v12 all hybrids.
    Wild guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I think the 812c was the last non-hybrid Ferrari reveal, perhaps ever.

From this point forward looks like all will be hybrid, really unclear if the V12 will be used again in regular production, I am thinking maybe the FUV, but, in an actual non-hypercar, probably not, but, I'm ready to be surprised :)

11. Natkingcolebasket69

They seem to hint they would try to find a way.
    I am sort of thinking they go lower displacement like 3liter and hybrid or maybe 4.
    But again wild guess!!

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I was told a long time ago it will sell side by side to the F8. The cars are being treated as 2 different segments. The 296GTB doesn't replace the F8. Eventually the F8 will be phased out and the new rear engine V6 2tt electric will be the 296 GTB.

This way they can try to hold F8 prices higher. IMO the 296GTB will sell start nearly at Pista price. They can because noone in their right mind would go to the 296GTB from a F8 or a Pista. A 488GTB IMO no also , Hell not me anyway.

I still wouldnt say there isnt a F8 VS on the boards why ? The 296 GTB will overtake the Pista anyway.

Want a V8 and its the SF90.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    reports have them making 296 together with f8 but i bet thats only for a while until f8 is over and then left with 296 as the entry midengine model below sf90 at the top.

tfazio and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

There is always the possibility that F8 sales could reignite

15. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Are you kidding me? The SF90 is a completely different car and type of car than the 812. I have no idea where you are getting the idea the SF90 kills the 812. I would buy an 812 successor but I would never buy an SF90. They are completely and utterly different kinds of car.

Bundy, day355 and Shadowfax like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ferrari 8's have always dominated comparative Ferrari 12's on the track, but the 12's dominate the touring roads as they were meant.

Bundy likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed they are but there are reports that the introduction of the SF90 has negatively impacted the order book for the 812 - whether it makes sense or not is a different matter.

18. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I mean that wouldn't surprise me at all, the supercar market is only so big. Of course at this point the 812 order book is closed unless you want a GTS, and I don't expect it to be open for long.

But the point still remains they are very different cars and excel at different things. If you want the absolute most performance the SF90 is going to win the race.

If you want a Ferrari that has some heritage and is a pleasure to drive for a car enthusiast then the V12 is what you need.

All of my really rich friends own both anyway ;)

19. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Hence my comment about them just being different cars trying to accomplish different things.

rob lay likes this.
  20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #20 JTSE30, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    The fact is, immediately after the SF90 reveal in May 2019, 812 order to delivery timeframes when from 18+ months to 4 months because most 812 orders (not yet receiving a factory allocation) were cancelled and replaced with an order for the SF90. That's a fact as I was directly monitoring this situation from March 2019 forward. The cancels actually started in March 2019 (2 months prior to the reveal) but went full speed after the reveal.

This was a huge mistake by the factory, mostly because the SF90 first deliveries occurred 17+ months later (rather than the more typical, for the time, 6 months). If the factory had waited until early 2020 to reveal the SF90 (a car they knew was not ready for production at the reveal) then they would of processed a lot more 812 orders than what occurred.

There are those, such as yourself, where the V12 is the attraction, but to many others, simply having the latest and greatest top end car is their desire...

btw, the severe attrition in 812SF orders led to its early discontinuation just about a year after the SF90 reveal, after 3 years of production and just a small amount processed in its 4th year...which made the 812c release really out of place, the original factory plan did not include releasing the 812VS about a year after the basis (812SF) went out of production

and...it seems fewer than 1,100 812SF were made for the USA, that is a really a small number (based on the NHTSA rear hatch glass recall)

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147447107/

recall:
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V614-8886.PDF

And....no V12 replacement, there is rumor of a reveal in late 2023, we'll see if that occurs, as it is now, the 812 family is the end of regular production V12 Ferraris, and if a replacement model ever occurs, it may well be hybrid but the current rumor is it will not be...but that's years in the future at this point

And...Euro7 regulations, due out by end of this year, could negatively impact any replacement V12, that may be why Ferrari will delay, of course a V12 could show up in the FUV...

21. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I seriously doubt any FUV style vehicle is going to be a V12. I think it's much more likely it would be something like a V6 Hybrid like the 296.

Tomw384 likes this.
  22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    But, just imagine if it was, truly epic way for Ferrari to jump into the fray, would literally top all others...still looks to be well into the future, maybe end of next year or beyond before its reveal...but, then again, some of the recent mule photos make it look more like a car than SUV, if it is more car (like the GTC/FF) then it will not have the uptake of an SUV (such as the Urus or even a Range Rover), people want high seating position for their SUV...

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Except at fiorano:)

RamsHmb and Solid State like this.
  24. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    This design breaks new ground and combines cues to the original cars liked the beautiful 250 LM one of my favorites. I gotta tell you Manzoni and company were starting to wear on me with the sharp creases and all not bad, but I thought where were they going with all this. The 296GTB to me puts this all in perspective, this car is the new direction for Ferrari and for the next 10 years I would say, I am impressed and I DID NOT THINK I would be saying this with the 296, BRAVO!

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Napoli likes this.