It is time to "wake up" my Ferrari 360 #Winternap | FerrariChat

It is time to "wake up" my Ferrari 360 #Winternap

Discussion in '360/430' started by tvoismo, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Hi,

My car has been in a friends garage since October ( c-tek connected ).

Last oil change was done about 2 years ago, but the first year it was just driven 200 miles and then it stayed in a Ferrari workshop over the winter. Got it back March 2017 and have driven it about 1000 miles since then. ( Oct 2017 ) total 1200 miles since it came from the workshop.

Is there something I have to do before driving it again? I am going to drive it to my new garage for a couple of more months until the spring is here :)

Thanks everybody for some good inputs.

billy.gif likes this.
  2. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You have to find more time to drive it, 1200 in two years is a sacrilege. Besides that just fire her up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJB355 and obertRo like this.
  3. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Change the oil

Carnut and Formula1r like this.
  4. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Is this nessesery ?

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

5. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Only had it 9 months weather-wise

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Change the oil when you have a chance. It is not necessary to change it before starting her but it should be changed every year regardless of mileage.

Formula1r likes this.
  7. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    You should apologize to it and take it to dinner for neglecting it.

8. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I do not subscribe to this, as I believe it is a common misconception. Fully synthetic oil does not break-down or change molecular structure (become "sludgy"). If you use a high-quality full synthetic oil, change the oil based on mileage or the oil brand's recommendation. Full synthetic also does not need changed every 3000K miles either.

Gasoline, on the other hand, is a different story. It will break down and separate over time. If your car sits for a year without being started, you might want to consider draining the tank first and putting fresh gas in before trying to start it.

I'm 360 Canuck and dang2407 like this.
  9. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I agree BUT you would agree it is a very cheap insurance to change the oil every year just to be safe (the car has been stored in a controlled environment I assume, but still why take the chance for something as cheap as an oil change)
    That is why I said to change it “when he has the chance”

10. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I still disagree... "Safe" from what? Changing the oil when not necessary is not environmentally friendly, not to mention a waste of time and money.

Zed82 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  11. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yep. Ethanol gas has a shelf life of about 30 days before it starts to "varnish." Ethanol free (regular unleaded) gas has a shelf life of about 6 months.

BlacktopRacing likes this.
  12. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    “Safe” of following manufacturer recommendations. And for the OP that new fresh oil is in the engine after two years. If you don’t like to change the oil every year that is fine. I would change mine, that would give the next owner the certainty I didn’t cut any corners with maintenance to save time and money.

13. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Next owner? :)

14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You never know!! I wish I could keep all my toys indefinitely!! But if i need to sell better to deliver a car that followed all the recommendations.

15. tvoismo

tvoismo Karting

Jun 14, 2016
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tor
    Yeah, I can see that. But I did start it in late december and it startet right up. Now I am going to start it again, so I hope everything is going to be fine. Is it good to take a "long" trip ( a hour, ish )when its been a good time since last time?

16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    That is why I said to change the oil when you have a chance. Not before starting it. Just fire her up and drive it.

17. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don't know how much it really helps but I always put fuel stabilizer in my summer equipment for the winter and vice versa. Have never had to have fuel system work on any of the equipment thankfully since we started using fuel stabilizer.

If you aren't putting some king of fuel stabilizer for winter storage in eventually you will be paying for fuel system repairs. Doesn't matter if it's a lawnmower or a LaFerrari old fuel will clog the fuel system eventually.

As for the oil situation so long as it is full synthetic and doesn't have a lot of miles on it I have been advised that it is ok to replace the oil filter and top the oil off. I have a few larger pieces of equipment that don't get used as much as they used to and don't see a lot of use. I don't know that I'd be brave enough to go 2 full years though without an oil change.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Change oil . don't you guys know that the inside of the block condensates with temperature change? ie winter storage etc. Ask me how I know

19. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Is it spring in Norway already? Season won´t start yet for a few weeks here in Sweden. Lots of snow on the road.

20. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Same thing here in Finland. Has been a long and cold "spring." Car sitting in the garage since october and probably doesn't come out until april/may...

Zed82 likes this.
  21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Same story here in Minnesota, USA. Just got 7" snow 2 nights ago. I'm hoping April??? This is torture. Just bought my car in December.

Kevin

22. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I'm on the train, on my way to pickup mine after her hibernation (and yearly service) at the dealership. Since it looks to be a nice day, I decided it was time I took her back :)