it might be the vermuth talking, but today's ferrari's don't excite me... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

it might be the vermuth talking, but today's ferrari's don't excite me...

Discussion in '308/328' started by jjmalez, Dec 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Agreed 100%. I am in love with 308s, 328s, and TRs. And don't think the newer ones are as "sexy". I also do really like the 348 and the 355 and would love to have one as my second Ferrari.

I will never get a 360 or 430. But I will stop looking and salivating over ALL cars the day a TR is is my garage....

Then I can die.....

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    As best I can figure, the problem is with the factory. They don't put much stock in all this crap that they have to do for the US market. Thus, if the dewpoint goes above 10%, your sensors blow out.

Somehow Lexus doesn't seem to have the same problem.

All in all, though, if you haven't put a lot of fanny time in one of the newer Ferraris, you're really missing out. The newer cars completely redefine the driving experience.

As far as the 70s and 80s 3x8 Ferraris go; me I'd rather have a Porsche from that same period. Sorry, but those years were not the best for the prancing ponies.

Dale

3. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    OK Dale, but the 60's and 70's seem good to me....

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Vik, I tried out the G car when it first came out at the Detroit show. Unfortunately, I don't fit. There is just not enough head room. Since I don't get excited about cars that I can't have (i.e., an Enzo) or don't fit, I really don't have an opinion on them.

Sorry

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    True that. The cars up until, say, 1974 were the golden years for Ferrari. If only we had known that 20 years ago...

Dale

6. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #31 malcolmb, Jan 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Well, we were all chasing "the next best thing", we didnt notice for a while that it was behind us. Then we couldnt afford them. These two inspire me every time I drive them, or walk by them in the garage. Just took a ride in the red car, drove by the pumphouse at wind-in-sea, and back along the coast. Good way to kick off the new year.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Like has already been said..the newer stuff is far and beyoned what any of the older cars are, driving wise including the 250GTO.

But the looks and pure classic Ferrari feel cannot be beat by the new machines compaired to the older ones. My favorite Ferrari's at the moment have to be the F430, and the 550 Maranello.

But my heart will always go to the classic older cars, and thats where my money will go aswell. I just love the feel and rawness of the cars, and to some extent wondering of its gonna start the next time you put the key in the ignition, sorta gives you the permanent butterfly in the stomach feel everytime you go out. Kinda exciting.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My abilities aren't up to the newer cars' performance levels. I need something that is old and slow.

I also prefer analog over digital. Not better or worse, just different.

10. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I totally agree and would just add the 308.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Looking good, as always. It looks like I may be headed your way in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Dale

12. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia

augh .......

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    TRUE about the Porsches. I really kinda miss my widebody 911. You could BEAT on that car if you wanted you and it kept coming back for more and more and more. Best road/track car I have driven (although she did have a little suspension work done...). Sat wide and mean on the road. Huge arse-end on her. Dang I miss her.....

You are also right on about the driving experience in the 360/430. Although I haven't personally driven one, the sound out of them alone, is EXACTLY what I am trying to, but will NEVER, duplicate with my 3.2 liters of joy I am running. I will NEVER get that SCREEEEEEEAM. But I will go down TRYING!!!!!! ;-)

14. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    You're lucky. In my eyes they're stunning, and I often wish I was free of this desire to own one. Any flavour of 360 or 430 would suffice...

15. LW RedTR

LW RedTR Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    California
    Interesting. I owned a 77 Porsche 911, an 81 Porsche 911, with whale tail, auxilary coolers, etc. I've also recently owned a couple of highly efficient Chevrolet Corvettes (98 & 2004) and a terrifically fast 2003 Dodge Viper.

I traded the Viper in on an 88 Testarossa after a 17 mile test drive. The Testarossa is already bleeding my wallet, but I have to say that the gated shifter, offset pedals, waiting for the oil to warm up before using 2nd gear with authority, fighting the steering wheel at low speeds....... these are all things, combined with the over the top looks of the 80s excessive Testarossa (an old guy's car according to my daughters) that make it worth more to me than the modern 360s, or even the new Chevy Z06 which will blow even a 430 into the weeds. I won't win any races in an 88 TR, but I'm pretty sure I won't care.

16. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Modern Ferraris are obviously better than the ones they replaced...but they're not as rewarding to drive.

I think that modern cars do more for the driver, whereas the older cars make the driver work more...and that's when you get satisfaction, when you have to work for it.

Just my opinion.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Being an aging, gray bearded dinosaur myself, I must say that even after 10 years of 3X8 ownership, my 328 GTB still makes my knees weak when I see it.

Nevertheles, to say that cars built from 75-95 look like real Ferraris ignores the previous 20 years of real Ferraris which look nothing like the 75-95 bunch. Car nuts who grew up with 50's and 60's desings do not really get the 3X8's and TR's. Most teenagers today I have encountered do not find 3X8's very appealing, but love the 360-430. It is generational.

Last August, I added a 430 coupe to the mix. I was not a big fan of the 360's design, but do think the 430 is an improvement. My biggest fear before the 430 arrived is that it would not have the cool factor to the driving experience that older cars do. But it does remain very cool and involving and you can turn off all the nannies. It is better in every way (mine is a stick). Now that I have lived with it, cleaned it, gone over every inch, I am starting to get a feel for the designers' intent. All features have a real purpose, yet there are a lot of subtle curves and lines that intersect and come together in graceful ways that don't immediately meet the eye. I think overall, it is an exciting design and today's 20 somethings will want it bad 20 years from now. I do wish it was about 10% smaller and lighter.

Dave

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Me too.
    The factory doesn't always support cars forever and I think 10 years seems to be the cutoff. scary

19. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Anything after Enzo Ferraris passing does little for me.

The general public feels similar concerning some of the newer stuff, I get constant compliments on my BB concerning how they like it much better than new Ferraris including the Enzo, some that know little about cars are surprised its a 30 year old design but they like what they see.

20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    in SoBe where there is at least 1 355, 360, or 430 parked on each block they are a little more special than an MB

When the F40 or the SLutmobile rolls through SoBe there simply is nothing like it & I feel like the paparazzi are chasing me as I got shot by 4 cameras on each block

I doubt that happens to 360s,430, or 612s, Ok so yes it could happen to an Enzo but there are still several Enzos near SoBe

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tru Dat for a Testy. But if I had to choice between a 83 911SC and a 83 308, I'd take the Porsche every time. While the 308s were paying the light bill in Maranello, Ferrari just didn't seem to have their heart into this car. Don't get me wrong. A 308 is a very cool looking car and a true successor to the Dino in the looks department. But the driving lagged behind.

Dale

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    #47 jjmalez, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016

Ferrari F512M. Bella!

23. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I've been waiting ten years for you to say that.

24. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    In the past 30 years Ferrari really hasn't made a car to excite me. Somehow they screwed the Horsey and did make the 488.

Will wonders never cease?

And why does a car have to go 200mph? The last car to do that and look like art doing it was the FIRST.

The F40.

25. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I gave up trying to figure out the names and numbers of Ferraris in the last few years. The all look oversized, overpriced and unengaging. I long for none of the current offerings. As a younger man I HAD to have a 308 and a 355. A vapor of those feelings resurfaced with the 488 but nothing like the lust I have for the older cars.