it might be the vermuth talking, but today's ferrari's don't excite me... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

it might be the vermuth talking, but today's ferrari's don't excite me...

Discussion in '308/328' started by jjmalez, Dec 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Amazing how those old threads get reopened.

Bullighter's post above was from exactly 11 years ago. So guess he must now be ticked off ;-)

2. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Ha! Amazing indeed. Not that the subject is dead, far from it...
    I like the LaFerrari's rear design, but hate the front and also think the top is a bit narrow. It is probably the angular overdesigned front, headlights etc that bother me. The 488 front is better with a hint of 308 but too much Gallardo and again, too many angular stuff including the headlights.

If you take a woman to a car show or Classic Remise/Meilenwerk, I have found they nearly invariably pulled to the more curvy designs. "Oh look that silver one is nice" (picking a silver 1M$ 300SL). "Or that blue one" (1M$ Fiat Otto Vu).
    Why oh why don't manufacturers look at such things - they are probably afraid to put out something overly controversial, so they play safe and don't.

3. jww427

jww427 Karting

Oct 31, 2016
    White Post Virginia
    Full Name:
    john w. warner IV
    Unless you own a private racetrack, the world has certainly changed for really fast cars. The last time I was on the autobahn I nearly crashed into the back of a Fiat that pulled out in front of me at 178 mph. And on purpose he did! Lots of traffic too. Construction. Cops. Polezei. Trucks. Yummy pretzels & weisswurst at every stop.

In Italy they have speed cameras everywhere now, so I don't understand why the world needs 200 plus mph cars other than a marketing ploy. 200 was scary enough on the racetrack for me in a roll cage, helmet, and Hans device. Curvy roads are much more fun than top speed any old day I reckon.

I agree on the styling woes of late. Video games, jet fans, and fighter cockpits with HUD. Neat-o, yes, but maybe a bit much. (?)
    Isn't there a video racing game available for the passenger in a new Lusso GT4? Maybe thats the answer. 200 for the passenger, 90 for the driver in a sweeper.

Turbos, electric motors, Hy-Kers, HUD, lithium batteries, LEDs, active aero, super computers, hand of God downforce, carbon nanotubes, back-engineered USAF alien tech from Area 51––whew!
    Stop the world, I need pull off and pit for a beer.
    Deep breath here...

Somehow, my dogs on a tartan blanket in the back seat of my un-perfect yet curvy & swervy 365 GT queen is just as fun as anything else in the Blue Ridge mountains. Maybe more so.
    Jeepers, I must be getting old as them thar hills.
    JWW

4. Adelphia

Adelphia Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Bedford, NY
    I agree with many; the newer Ferrari's just don't excite me in the styling department, also not a fan of paddle shifters. It's obvious that the form follows the function....of attaining ludicrous speeds. I get that; to get a car down the road or trach at 200 mph, it needs to be shaped slippery. But on the roads that most of us drive, the speed limit is 55 or 60. So why do I need a car that's been styled to go 200 mph? Maybe to impress the latte drinkers at Cars & Coffee meets? And what's wrong with gated manual floor shifting?

Anyway, I do understand progress, technology, keeping up with and passing the Joneses, etc. But I love pulling the cover off my 328 every once in a while. It reminds me of what gorgeous designs are all about, and reminds me of a time when the design aesthetic was a priority. Long live the influence of Enzo.

5. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    The 246 was the high point of styling. Well perhaps the 288 GTO was it. Downhilll from there, especially when the 348 showed up.

6. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I traded my 77 GTB for a gated 360 last summer and haven't looked back.

7. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Haven't looked back in three months. :):)

This thread started in '05?

Post back again ten years from now. :):)

8. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Some of the newer models are attractive, some are rather vulgar in appearance.
    I don't want a new Ferrari.
    The 246, the 288GTO, and the 308 are my favorites of all time and I expect always will be.

9. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

+308!

10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    +328.

11. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    My list includes also 365/512BB(i), 328 & F40.

12. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes, the difficulty is trying to limit it to 3 choices. I too would have your favorites on my longer list.

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Me too.

14. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    612 & 458 both have it in spades. After these, I'm not so impressed.

15. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    >bump<

Seven years later, we now have a four door Ferrari, but no Formula 1 driver or constructor championships.

We also have this: NYSE: RACE 12/29/23 closed @ $338.20, up $0.44

Happy new year. :rolleyes:

16. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I would just be happy if they brought back the drivers car. A manual, simple design, void of all the devices and sensors that stifle the seat of your pants fell. Don't need a car 1000 bhp, that will do 200+, when I will never see those numbers, even on a track.

ragtop1 and jjmalez like this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Still true nearly 19 years later…..

Ferraridoc and jjmalez like this.
  18. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    [QUOTE="Bullfighter, post:

The silver lining is that mere mortals can now afford these '80s machines. Frankly, I'd be more ticked off if the 360 was a $60K car and 328's were fetching $120K. So count your blessings.[/QUOTE]

@Bullfighter , We are pretty much there 19 years later. Nice intuition haha

jjmalez likes this.