Italia vs Spider value | FerrariChat

Italia vs Spider value

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gagoha, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gagoha

gagoha Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    Hi, I have a red Oct 2012 458 spider in Switzerland and when I bought the car, i was also looking at a greg 2011 (much cheaper) Italia. From the latest 2nd hand availabilities in Switzerland, I noticed that the Italia's have gone up in value. Even 2010 and 2011 models have gone up 10% in the past 2 years whilst the Spider was flat but now coming down. I understood the older models like the F360, the coupes were much more popular due to rigidity etc but thought 458 Spider has very few compromises. Is it similar elsewhere in the world where the Italia seems to be more the collectible car than the Spiders?

2. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    That is not the case here in the states... spiders have a premium over the coupes I would say of at least 20 to 30 grand.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You do pay a premium for Spiders over coupes here in the U.S., but I don’t know if Spider values are dropping faster relative to coupe values. In prior generation cars, the premiums did tend to diminish over time because of the added maintenance and potential repair costs of a Spider compared to a coupe, and as the OP pointed out, Spiders have some compromises, such as less rigidity and at least to some eyes, less good looks with the tops up. But those differences are minimal with the 458. It will be interesting to see whether the price gap between 458 Spiders and coupes close over the years.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    In the US, F430 always has a 10-15k premium over the coupes. Pretty similar with the 458, maybe coz factory msrp is higher as well. For the limited editions, the convertible versions are always more rare and 2x more valuable (16m, aperta)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisPM likes this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This is a classic example of how different the North-American and European markets are.

In my neck of the woods for instance, the price difference between an Italia and a Spider isn't as big as in the USA, far from it. The Spider isn't *that* much more sought after than the Italia, although there's generally a premium (as a rule). Italia prices remain firm, although there are much more Italias for sale than Spiders.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Melvok likes this.
  6. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I'd agree it's dependent on where you are in the world. My area (ROW/Australasia), the 458 Spider is apx $30-40k more than the Italia. There were apx 65% Italias compared to 35% Spiders purchased new. Both models currently appear to be holding value. The Spiders seem to come onto the 2nd hand market less. Unsure of model specific relative value increases/decreases, between the two models.

A car bought new in the market country, is far more sought after than an import - eg a new 458 bought new and first registered in Australia, is worth quite a bit more over the same spec/mileage/model, than a Singapore import.

I have finally also learnt, that condition, service history and driven style ownership (eg tracked, hardly driven, salt roads etc), outweighs mileage when looking at purchasing second hand.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Spiders do to hold value better in the US than coupes. However, it is worth noting that the base MSRP of the Spider was about $15-20k more if I remember correctly.

So that’s part of the explanation of the higher used values

TheDiffuser and MalibuGuy like this.
  8. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just picked up a very low mileage 13 Spider this week. My experience from the search was that good Spiders command about $25k more then good Italias here in US.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't think of many instances where convertibles that don't command a premium over their coupe equivalents. The only ones that immediately spring to mind are gullwing mercs and Porsche 911s. Different premiums will apply in different climates, of course, for obvious reasons.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I see no cheaper 458 Spiders than coupe's for sale in Europe ... :) Do you ?

Afonsolaw likes this.
  11. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    The F355 Berlinetta commands a premium over the Spider in the USA.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    16M and Speciale A were "Limited Editions" (assumed to be produced in fixed limited numbers) whereas the non convertible corresponding cars (430 Scuderia and 458 Speciale) were only "Special Versions", resulting in far higher production numbers and different perceptions of exclusivity, which has a huge impact on the selling prices independently of the actual cars merits.

Afonsolaw and kiryu like this.
  13. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    The Mercedes AMG SLS coupe is much more valuable than the convertible

14. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    We need pics

latebraker likes this.
  15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Also consider the season. A spider in February is less attractive that a spider in springtime or summer.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Congrats ! Beauty !

Afonsolaw likes this.
  17. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
  18. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    The premiums for a spider evaporate over time even in the US for many models; 328's and 355's are examples. Slight premiums for 360 and 430 spiders over their closed versions. Suspect 458 Spider will maintain a modest premium commensurate with it's higher MSRP but percentage wise deprecate same as the Italia.

AlfistaPortoghese and Need4Spd like this.
  19. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    How can you tell how much a Ferrari was tracked, driven on salt roads or driven hard? Hardly driven is easy to see but from what I hear, it might not be much of a positive other than the premium a buyer would put on the ultra low mileage. For an owner, the hardly driven could be more headaches than the reasonably used, other than the moment you sell it.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  20. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. My feeling on the mileage subject is when I am paying $200,000 plus for a vehicle I want to feel like I am buying a new car. I would hate to spend six figures on a vehicle and feel like I am driving someone else's old piece of crap that they discarded.

21. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    When I say 'tracked' I mean tracked on a regular and hard basis. Not taken twice a year to a track day - nothing wrong with that. There are several ways you can tell if it's heavily tracked, worn bushes/swing arms, history and receipts of frequent brake pad changes with lower mileage indicators etc etc. Salt roads - cmon seriously? I've viewed several ex UK and northern Japan cars where salt is used. I bought one recently knowing what salt damage there was. That's not hard to suss. I agree that a barely used car can have issues later.