ITALIAN WHITE WINES | FerrariChat

ITALIAN WHITE WINES

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Steelton Keith, Nov 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Not all Pinot Grigio is insipid. Last night had a wonderful 2015 Les Neris (Isonzo del Friuli) at a local joint. Complex, delicious. This is what a talented and commited winemaker can do. About $ 30 retail. This wine is from the very northernmost area of Italy. For another treat, this time under $ 20, go the the opposite end of the country, almost to the toe of the boot for Res Dei by Ippolito. This is made from the ancient Ciro Bianco grape, probably planted by the Romans. Lovely.

2. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    My favorite is La Scolca Black Label Gavi de Gavi.

Joe

daviday likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interesting. As far as Italian whites, we tend to gravitate toward the cheaper Pinot Grigios, and only in the summer when it's too hot for heavy reds...T

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Good stuff.

I keep a 1.5 liter bottle of Cavit pinot grigio on hand at all times.

Matt

5. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Jermann is also a very good producer of Pinot Grigio...and sometimes you can find a Ramato....
    for a more everyday PG there is a producer called Pierpaolo, estate bottled, a solid version.

6. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Lots of great choices, if you like different flavors. Arneis, Tocai, top quality Soave, Fiano di Avellino. Cavit? Seriously??

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Love Italian whites. Very little oak, not sweet. Great with food (especially seafood of course) or for sipping in the sun. Far and away my favorite country for whites. Some of the Regions/types of wines listed here, but finding an actual bottle from a producer who's style I like is a crap shoot because I don't ever buy more than a bottle or two (or more often just order it in a restaurant). So I don't have any producers that I like or dislike, but the Orvieto's are great and I like Vermentino a lot too and anything with Trebbiano and Verdicchio. (hard to keep region clearly distinct from grape, still learning!).

• Asti: Sparkling wine made from Moscato grapes around Asti, in Piedmont. Deliciously sweet, low in alcohol, with pronounced fruity and floral flavors. Usually non-vintage, but freshness and youth are essential to its quality.

• Frascati: From the Frascati area, south of Rome, and mainly Trebbiano grapes. Dry or slightly off-dry, light-bodied, and un-oaked with crisp acidity and subdued flavor.

• Gavi: Dry, medium-bodied wine from Cortese grapes in the Gavi area of Piedmont. Typically crisp and un-oaked (sometimes slightly oaky) with delicate notes of honey, apples, and minerals.

• Orvieto: A generally medium-bodied wine made mainly from Grechetto grapes around Orvieto, in the Umbria region. Dry, crisp, with flavors of pear and apple and a pleasantly bitter finish.

• Pinot Grigio: Generally light-bodied, dry, and crisp, with subdued aromas and flavors and no oakiness. Made from Pinot Gris grapes, usually in Northeastern Italy. Wines from Collio or Alto-Adige DOCs (controlled origin denomination) are usually the best.

• Soave: From the Soave zone in the Veneto region, made mainly from Garganega grapes. Generally dry, crisp, un-oaked, and light- or medium-bodied, with subdued flavors of pear, apple, or peach.

• Verdicchio: Dry, medium-bodied, crisp white with minerally flavor and a sea-air freshness. From Verdicchio grapes in the Marche region.

Image Unavailable, Please Login