Italy and Coronavirus | Page 32 | FerrariChat

Italy and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Albert-LP, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Many thanks for those pix Alberto!
    I hope to be living there (Salo/Gargnano) by this time next year!
    (and yes, living at Nautica Salo too, with another Riva :D)
    Stay tuned for some Riva action soon!

George Vosburgh and Albert-LP like this.
  3. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Heading to Rome/Florence/Milan for a couple weeks on Saturday. Reserved a rental 458 and 488 for 10km each near the factory in Maranello, should be fun! Factory is closed to owner tours unfortunately. Hope the country doesn’t shut down too hard over the new vax rules…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Alcav5 likes this.
  4. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Hello Supernaut.
    Situation in this moment, thanks to a lot of vaccines, is stable.
    As Alberto said you will need a green pass for a lot of things.
    You will have fun!

Supernaut and Alcav5 like this.
  5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    US citizens can't get green pass , cdc card works (worked for me) , yes Italy is fun , I want to go back already

NbyNW and Dai Baracca like this.
  6. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Was just in Italy in Sept. and will be going back on Jan 1st. This time to see my family in Emilia-Romagna. Italy is fine, the country has stepped up nicely.
    Never felt unsafe, was in Sorrento & Rome for 2 weeks, as @Alcav5 said, the CDC was accepted with zero issues for me and we dined inside in quite a few restaurants. The Hotels were fully staffed where we were. Life has resumed...wife got all emotional over the 5 weddings we saw take place in our Hotel...LOL

NbyNW and Alcav5 like this.
  7. nlpamg

nlpamg Karting

Oct 18, 2014
    I'm thinking of going to Finali Mondiali next month, but I would fly in from Los Angeles to Paris, spend a couple days in Paris and then fly to Florence, and then back home. Are there any restrictions on flying into Italy from France? Would I need a Covid test prior to leaving Paris to Florence?

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I don't think so, provided you are fully (= two doses) vaccinated; there might be some tests at random, though.

Rgds

nlpamg likes this.
  9. nlpamg

nlpamg Karting

Oct 18, 2014
    Thank you!

Booked my trip to Florence and will rent a car and drive to Modena and Maranello.

Hopefully, it won’t be too bad in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It is creeping up again, but slightly, at least for the time being, in the western latin Europa: Portugal, Spain, France and Italy.
    It is still very bad in the U.K (the highest level of contaminations rapported to the population in the world: average contaminations per day in week #41: 42.299; week #42: 46.579; week #43: 40.815).
    Bad everywhere in the Balkans, and eastern Europe (Poland, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Romania, Bulgaria) mainly due to their low level of vaccination. An absolute nightmare in Russia, especially in its "european part" (= to the west of the Ural mountains)
    Worrying in Germany and Belgium.

Italy is still holding very well (same average daily numbers as Greece, but with 5.5 X the population); latest figures for Italy are: average contaminations per day, week #41: 2.512; week #42: 3.326; week #43: 4.397.

Without dwelving into P & R, remember that the vaccine does NOT prevent infections, it only guarantees that should you become infected, it won't be too bad. What prevent infections is distanciation and face masks.

Rgds

Dai Baracca likes this.
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Dai Baracca likes this.
  12. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
  13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Aa
    aaaagh I think I might have licked the screen when that pic of the burrata came up!

Alcav5 and absostone like this.
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    For the time being (for the time being, who knows were we will be at the end of December?):
    - its going from bad to worse in Germany, driven by its neighbors in Central Europe which have been very reluctant to vaccination; Germany itself is rather well protected, 66% with two jabs, but it still leaves one third of its population vulnerable, and one third of 82 millions is not Nothing.
    - France and Italy are still "holding rather well", but it is creeping up, and many of their neighbors are more affected (The "Low countries" in the North: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg; Germany at East; Greece and the Balkans just the other side of Adriatic for Italy); as the virus does not respect borders, it might get worse soon.

Average daily new contaminations for the last three weeks (42, 43 and 44) John Hopkins Institute figures:
    Germany: 13.437; 18.840; 26.358
    France: 5.344 ; 5.936 ; 7.285
    Italy: 3.326 ; 4.397 ; 5.155

As for France, masks are mandatory again in primary schools for two-thirds of the "départements" (they ceased to be mandatory only six weeks ago...); the Président will say a word or two about the situation in a speech tomorrow night.
    Both Italy and France are well vaccinated (each more than 70% with two doses), meaning that there should not be too many more deaths, question is, how many more persons in the hospitals (vaccine does not prevent contaminations, but make these much less lethal; it's the mask that prevents contaminations).

We'll see in due time.

Rgds

Dai Baracca and Steelton Keith like this.
  15. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    @nerofer thanks for the information. the vaccine has always been touted as a defense and not a cure. the vast majority of those infected who require hospitalization are the unvaccinated. There will always be the "break-through" cases of those vaccinated that end up in hospital, but I will venture to say that percentage is very very low.
    I wonder if there is a statistic that shows how many vaccinated people are spreaders?
    There is a bit of good news with the therapeutics developed by Merck & now Pfizer in pill form...
    Now that Europeans can come to the US, things will get a little interesting.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, here it is:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/12/partial-lockdown-in-netherlands-amid-record-covid-cases

"Partial lock-down" again in the Netherlands, for three weeks; actually a mix between lock-down and curfew; rather high level of vaccination (69% double-jabbed) but hospitals already at full capacity.
    It's far from over; stay tuned. And stay safe.

Rgds

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Update:

Situation very worrying in Germany and Greece; still manageable in France and Italy, but numbers are creeping up nevertheless:

Average daily new contaminations for the last four weeks (42, 43, 44 and 45) John Hopkins Institute figures:
    Germany (pop. 82 m.): 13.437; 18.840; 26.358; 37.682
    France (pop. 66 m.): 5.344; 5.936; 7.285; 10.066
    Italy (pop. 60 m.): 3.326; 4.397; 5.155; 7.431
    Greece (pop. 11 m.): 3.210; 3.687; 6.105; 6.710

Rgds

19. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    My son leaves for Barcelona on Friday....I'm a bit concerned...even though he has no plans of venturing beyond there and Madrid.

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Don't be concerned, at least for the time being: Spain has the lowest number of average daily new contaminations of all the large countries in Europe, and the highest percentage of vaccination.

The figures are:
    Population, 45 millions;
    Average daily new contaminations: Week 41: 1.538; W.42: 1.907; W.43: 1.917; W.44: 2.070; W.45 (= last week): 3.074. Or, in other words, twelve time less than the U.K...three times less than France (two times less rapported to the population's size).
    Vaccination, two doses: 80,11% of its population on Nov. 11th (U.S.A = 57,58%)

Agreed, seems that the contaminations have started to creep up again, but the numbers are still really low for the time being. Should another wave start there, it would not be concerning before three or four weeks.
    For now, Spain should be perfectly safe with a mask.

The question over here in France is not the situation for the two to three weeks to come: it is perfectly clear that another wave is beginning, but the question is when will it spike and at which numbers? If the spike is around mid-december and with figures "around 50.000 +" new contaminations every day, then the country would risk hospital saturation.

Rgds

Dai Baracca likes this.
  21. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I am going to wait until February to book my Italy/France/Brugges trip for September.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Who knows what the numbers would be at this time? One thing for sure, I wouldn't dare to travel to Belgium these days, now....but it can go better for December, we'll see...

Rgds

Steelton Keith likes this.
  23. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Mais oui, Nerofer. The "low countries" are having a rough go. We have very good friends in Brugges and I hope we can see them next autumn. Sante, Keith

24. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    as mentioned I will be in France on Jan 1st. It will be interesting to see how and if the numbers rise in the US now that we are open to European travelers.
    Italy is on the books for Vinitaly in April 2022 and then again in September. I hope that whatever 2nd wave hits subsides by Feb at the latest

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The numbers were already rising a bit in the US last week, + 15% on average: average new daily contaminations being "about 84.000" last week (Week 45); to me, more than the opening of the borders to European travelers, the event favoring spreading would be Thanksgiving, so monitoring should show an increase two to three weeks after Thanksgiving...
    Last two days here in France (= Tuesday, Nov 16th and Wednesday, Nov 17th) were bad, both being at 20.000 or slightly above, daily numbers that had not been reached since August. It's spreading indeed, but that was expected for winter.

Rgds