It's baaaaaack....Viper ACR | Page 10 | FerrariChat

It's baaaaaack....Viper ACR

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ForzaV12, May 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so cool!
    much better than cam belt

2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Looks like an electronics cable. Is it for laptop hookup for data, engine tweaking?

Congrats on getting your car Keith.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I don't have many miles, and it's all tame street driving, but some basic observations.

Body and paint fit and finish are extraordinary. This should not matter for a track car, but it is gorgeous. The carbon hood, carbon rear hatch, surfboard-size wing are all spectacular and a thing of wonder when everything is open (the underside of the hood looks amazing).

The clutch is very light, but long travel - probably that was the tradeoff to keep it light.

Gearbox is very positive and shift lever is the right length to me - much shorter than Gen IV

The luxury amenities are nice, again sort of a waste for a track car. Bluetooth is easy and sounds good, Bluetooth audio is great, and the H-K stereo is IMO the best of any street car I've owned, including the Meridian in the McLaren and Bose or whatever in the GT3. Navigation works great and integrates with traffic.

Seats are firm, supportive and comfortable; I've always liked the adjustable pedals. I can get the driving position just right and love the aluminum pedals. No vague rubber covers and the gas and brake are great for heel/toe.

Love the dash and gauges. The touchscreen includes a performance app that lets you display all the engine temps and pressures at once, or other stuff like G loads.

It's a *****cat at under 2000 rpm and does not threaten to break tires loose even in 1st gear, very non-threatening and easy to putter around. Have not gone over 4000 or WOT yet.

No tramlining or jerkiness in steering and I like the steering feel. Very firm and direct, but not communicative in that you don't feel every imperfection in the road through the wheel.

Rides pretty rough, to be expected with 1000+ lb/in springs, but surprisingly streetable. Not a whole lot rougher than the GT3. The biggest thing I notice is big undulations make it feel like the car wants to leave the ground.

I dig the detail like an included pigtail to hard wire a radar detector and a removable panel behind each seat that says "Racing Harness" and the little plaque on the dash that says made especially for (my name) with a spare plate included in the event of resale.

Extended warranty to take the car to 6 years was $1900. For a track car !!!!

Comes with a cool manual that details all the aero and setup mods for baseline to get tracking.

An amazing value for the lunatic fringe.

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow, that's great to hear. I remember mt test of the first current gen car in pcoy and they said build quality was kit car. parts fell off exterior on track, door handles broke, etc. they've come a long way in a short time. and now they cancel the viper :(

5. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Car looks great-I'm sure you can't wait to get it on track! I can't imagine how amazing that thing will be! Congrats and enjoy it!

6. ViperJon

ViperJon Rookie

Mar 25, 2006
    Got my ACR Extreme a couple weeks ago, I'm in the northeast so weather hasn't been optimal and still in break in mode. Awesome car. I've had six Vipers including a TA, and this certainly takes the cake. Will report back when I get to really wring it out.

[​IMG]

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    twin to my ACR!

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so nice!
    hows it compare driving to the lambo sl so far?

9. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    By wring it out do you mean the sponge??? Looks like a waxers garage,lol The SLs design looks so dated.

10. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Wow. Maybe we should all jump in and crap on one of your myriad for sale threads.

11. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Keith -

I'm sure I missed it, but have you owned Viper's previously?

I owned a 2001 RT/10 years and years ago and thought it was a hoot.

MDS

12. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I've owned 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, and took a long break. Still have 92 & 01. They are uniquely brash and American and have evolved to a level of world class performance and even build quality. That said, they just aren't popular enough to survive but then again so was the Shelby Cobra circa 1969

13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Why'd you keep the 2001? Is it a GTS or RT/10 ? Color?

14. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Keith, congrats on the ACR. It looks great in that color.

I am curious to hear what people think of the TA vs the ACR.

Is the TA really the perfect balance of track and street? Or can you remove the ACR wing and drive it on the street comfortably?

LSJ

15. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Spent time at the Viper display; white/black with a stunning female "presenter" on stage. What a car, congrats on purchase. I asked the guy behind the Dodge desk a few questions about the Viper...guy was almost clueless, shame as great number of people looking at the Viper, yet looking does not equate buying. Most important thing Rep said to me "we do not sell many of them...so I don't know that much about it or what company plans are". Ouch !

Enjoy and write it here when have time,
    Jack

16. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #241 kverges, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GTS. Gen II is iconic to me, as is the first year of production. And I've done a bunch of silly hotrod mods to GTS so it's not worth selling.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Pobst did mention that the first car they tested was preproduction and not up to their regular quality standards.

It is nice to hear that the build on the regular cars is up to the price point.

LSJ

18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    In many ways I prefer the ACR to GT3. Standard leather all over the interior with contrast stitching. Better stereo. Push button start instead of fake "key." Vast expanses of useful carbon fiber, including hood, rear deck and of course surfboard wing. Rear wing that is high enough to not block rear view and get in airflow to actually function. Stock LED headlights (not a 3K option). Touchscreen with apps that allow you to monitor engine temps, not just do navigation. Pedals that adjust fore and aft. Map of Laguna Seca embossed in parcel tray liner. My name on dash plaque with a replacement plaque to install should I sell. 19" wheels so tire sets are not the best part of $2500. Conventional lug studs instead of center locks that require helper to stand on brake and a torque wrench capable of 450 ft-lb to R&R. I could probably go on.

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Great info so please do go on...

how does driving feel compare?
    On track, gt3 never feels stressed with over heat, spongy brakes, etc. What about acr?
    rate use up tires, pads, oil?

thanks!

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

In other words the real thing.

Whats it like to drive, on track

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    It's a 1500 mile break in before track, per the ACR supplement and I am at 800 miles. Lots of travel this year so it will be May soonest before it hits the track. I do wonder if it can be hammered like the GT3. That thing can take a relentless pounding

22. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Man, reading through Keith's comments made me email a buddy that owns a Dodge dealer, and he has an allocation....tempting....

23. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    With all due respect to friendships I would only buy from Woodhouse in Nebradka or Viper Exchange in Texas. The knowledge for Viper and particularly ACR is second to none. They have access to all the spares and mods you would ever want. Jon in Delaware

24. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thanks Jon

Best

Lee

25. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Bought my 2001 from Woodhouse, but it's not rocket science. I got exactly what I wanted and did not have to deal with shipping. But if you don't want to do any homework then an experienced Viper dealer is a good idea. They are all made the same place.